It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
oakey

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#271 Post by oakey »

Well it depends on what you see as the right frame rate. The bluray release replicates the theatrical release at the time. That the later PAL VHS was faster (and thus shorter) is irrelevant I would say, as that was not the theatrical release. And if you want a replication of the PAL video release you can watch the DVD that is included.

Greendrake

#272 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oznerol

#273 Post by Oznerol »

Just to add some nearly useless piece of knowledge/trivia about all this subject...the "Always On My mind" music video includes ONE SHOT (1'' in lenght) that isn't included on the final movie cut!! So it´s impossible to re-create it with a 100% accurate result! We can get near to 99,5% anyway... :/
Last edited by Oznerol on Thu 02 Jul 2020, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

Old Soak

#274 Post by Old Soak »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020, 9:45 am
oakey wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020, 9:14 am Well it depends on what you see as the right frame rate. The bluray release replicates the theatrical release at the time. That the later PAL VHS was faster (and thus shorter) is irrelevant I would say, as that was not the theatrical release. And if you want a replication of the PAL video release you can watch the DVD that is included.
I see the right frame rate as what the director's intention was. Much as I accept the film weird is, I very, very doubt that there was an artistic intent to slow it down by 4% comparing to the rate it was shot at, especially if that means slowing down the songs too! The songs are perhaps pretty good and easily verifyable indication of what the speed should be. PSB wouldn't have approved slowing their tracks down.

I'm happy to disregard whatever frame rate distortions happened with the theatrical or whatever releases if they went against the director's intention.

By the way, how do we know now at what frame rate it was shown in the theatres? IMDB didn't exist back then, and it might be just showing the time as on NTSC releases. I am inclined to believe that the theatres (in the UK at least) showed at 25 fps (as filmed).
Unless you are going back to the 16fps silent era pretty much everything on film is shot at 24fps. The issue comes when it is shown on TV due to the differing standards back in the day - in the US/NTSC traditionally at 525 lines it'll be at 24fps, in the UK/PAL traditionally at 625 lines (after the upgrade from 405 lines when BBC2 came along) it will be 25fps else you'd get an annoying flicker, hence a film on standard TV in the UK is, or was 4% faster. What I'm not sure of however is whether that's a moot point now HD has superseded as it is a 1080 lines standard throughout.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Greendrake

#275 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themgnt

#276 Post by themgnt »

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed that the music was slowed down. But I would agree that the speed of the songs in the film should match the commercial releases. It's highly unlikely there was a directorial decision to slow them down specifically for use in the film.

Oznerol

#277 Post by Oznerol »

matt74uk

#278 Post by matt74uk »

Oznerol wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm Just to add some nearly useless piece of knowledge/trivia about all this subject...the "Always On My mind" music video includes ONE SHOT (1'' in lenght) that isn't included on the final movie cut!! So it´s impossible to re-create it with a 100% accurate result! We can get near to 99,5% anyway... :/
Go on, I'm interested now, what's the scene?

Oznerol

#279 Post by Oznerol »

matt74uk wrote: Thu 02 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm
Oznerol wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm Just to add some nearly useless piece of knowledge/trivia about all this subject...the "Always On My mind" music video includes ONE SHOT (1'' in lenght) that isn't included on the final movie cut!! So it´s impossible to re-create it with a 100% accurate result! We can get near to 99,5% anyway... :/
Go on, I'm interested now, what's the scene?
OK!
The misssing video shot was this:

...because on the final cut of the movie, they used this camera angle for the action instead!

...so, it strangely seems that who made the music-video cut had access to more footage than the shots used on the movie...or there were alternate cuts of the movie around!

Flaffer

#280 Post by Flaffer »

They were done by the same person, Jack Bond
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Oznerol

#281 Post by Oznerol »

Flaffer wrote: Thu 02 Jul 2020, 5:22 pm They were done by the same person, Jack Bond
Oh..of course it was "directed" by Jack Bond, because all the stuff included was taken from his movie, all those shots were directed by him..but are you sure he was the editor of the music-video too?? 8)

Xakrij

#282 Post by Xakrij »

Hello...

For anyone in the US who has ordered from Amazon UK:

I contacted them via chatbot on Saturday 27 June to inquire about the status of my order, which had been 'currently dispatching' since 15 June. They escalated my inquiry and the item was finally dispatched on Tuesday 30 June and arrived at my home in Atlanta 2 days later on Thursday 2 July via DHL.
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Greendrake

#283 Post by Greendrake »

Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marie loves PSB

#284 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Oh, dear! I wished I had seen what state my DVD version of the film was in. :( The Blu ray has a funny skip to it but I got over it. The book has dents in the bottom of it and the book has a sticky mark in it that I cannot get rid of. Now the DVD version I watched tonight skips. I took it out of my DVD player and it looked like a sticky mess was on it. I cleaned it with my special DVD cleaner. It would not come off. It is scratched to bits. I am so unhappy about it and annoyed I didn't check them much sooner. I have never seen a DVD in such bad condition I have complained but, it won't do much as last I heard they have sold out. :( :down: :grumble:

Boring90

#285 Post by Boring90 »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020, 10:24 pm Oh, dear! I wished I had seen what state my DVD version of the film was in. :( The Blu ray has a funny skip to it but I got over it. The book has dents in the bottom of it and the book has a sticky mark in it that I cannot get rid of. Now the DVD version I watched tonight skips. I took it out of my DVD player and it looked like a sticky mess was on it. I cleaned it with my special DVD cleaner. It would not come off. It is scratched to bits. I am so unhappy about it and annoyed I didn't check them much sooner. I have never seen a DVD in such bad condition I have complained but, it won't do much as last I heard they have sold out. :( :down: :grumble:
Buy the re-release from Amazon. When it arrives, return it for a refund. Keep the new discs and the old packaging.

You will now have new discs and the old deluxe packaging.
Las Vegas 1999