BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#181 Post by y3potential »

y3potential wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
PopKid78 wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:06 am Back when a TOTP appearance made all the difference to how well a Single performed in the Charts, I’ve often wondered about the Singles that weren’t performed live on the show. Obviously it’s something we’ll never know, but I do think that some Singles would’ve benefited from a live studio performance, to help give it that push up the Charts. Maybe not It’s Alright, but I’ve always thought Go West, could’ve got to the top, with a memorable live studio performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top of the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Straight_Talker

#182 Post by Straight_Talker »

PopKid78 wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:06 am Back when a TOTP appearance made all the difference to how well a Single performed in the Charts, I’ve often wondered about the Singles that weren’t performed live on the show. Obviously it’s something we’ll never know, but I do think that some Singles would’ve benefited from a live studio performance, to help give it that push up the Charts. Maybe not It’s Alright, but I’ve always thought Go West, could’ve got to the top, with a memorable live studio performance.

Yep, good point. Kinda related to your observation, I remember watching the video for Go West on TOTP when it was number 2 and vying for a number 1 spot. The programme stopped the video right in its tracks just as the mighty chord change was about to drop. I recall thinking to myself that if only they played an extra 10 seconds or more it may have grabbed even more attention. The chord change was (still is?) an absolutely euphoric moment for me when I heard it on the radio at the time and I was gutted they cut it off on the show!!!!!!!
More strobes and BANGING, please!

Patrick Bateman

#183 Post by Patrick Bateman »

y3potential wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 amCouldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top or the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
Why weren't the Bilingual singles performed (until A red letter day)? I know they 'underpromoted' Bilingual but it does seem strange the first couple of singles in particular weren't on TOTP.

michael888

#184 Post by michael888 »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:47 pm
y3potential wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 amCouldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top or the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
Why weren't the Bilingual singles performed (until A red letter day)? I know they 'underpromoted' Bilingual but it does seem strange the first couple of singles in particular weren't on TOTP.
and then all three singles off Nightlife were performed.
A small voice of calm and reason.

y3potential

#185 Post by y3potential »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:47 pm
Yes. Don't want to stray off topic too much, but the under promotion of Bilingual has always been a bit of a head scratcher for me, particularly coming off the success of the Very era.. There was the O Zone special and an appearance on TFI Friday and that was it as I recall for the Bilingual campaign, apart from the Red Letter Day totp appearance..

ArtHist

#186 Post by ArtHist »

Simon Mayo wearing an Introspective tee, June '89. Nicely combined with the shorts ; )
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.35.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.35.png (672.95 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.54.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.54.png (652.14 KiB) Viewed 5174 times

Marie loves PSB

#188 Post by Marie loves PSB »

ArtHist wrote: Mon 13 Apr 2020, 11:36 am Simon Mayo wearing an Introspective tee, June '89. Nicely combined with the shorts ; )
I don't know where but, I have see Simon Mayo in the past wearing the limited edition Introspective football shirt. :up:

Patrick Bateman

#189 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I kind of forget that they were still active in the charts in 1989 despite only releasing one single. Two of their better collaborations here. The previous episode is the one featuring both The Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses, a real harbinger of the 1990s, and with dance tracks appearing with increasing frequency, it's clear that the synthpop sound that dominated the charts throughout the 80s is in retreat. In retrospect they did pretty well to be a chart act for so long into the 1990s.

In Private*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-07121989

Getting Away With It

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-14121989

*not the Elton version thankfully

PopKid78

#190 Post by PopKid78 »

Both songs should’ve been Top 10. Probably releasing them at Christmas didn’t help. Electronic should’ve waited a month, and bagged themselves a Top 5 Hit.

y3potential

#191 Post by y3potential »

PopKid78 wrote: Sun 19 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm Both songs should’ve been Top 10. Probably releasing them at Christmas didn’t help. Electronic should’ve waited a month, and bagged themselves a Top 5 Hit.

I couldn't agree more. In hindsight, releasing this in Jan/Feb or even March 1990 would have seen this being a much bigger hit than it was.. It's rightly considered a 'classic' now but it deserved to be a much bigger hit than it was at the time..

Patrick Bateman

#192 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I quite like the idea that Getting Away With It was the last synthpop hit of the 1980s.

In Private got a place higher than You Surround Me. :wink: Sorry Pughie!

Patrick Bateman

#193 Post by Patrick Bateman »

1990 is up next. Just watching 'Big Hits 1990' - Loose Fit was such a tune. Pedant alert: it was released as a single in 1991 and only got to number 17, so fails on both criteria, but nice to see it anyway. Realise how much I liked Madchester and baggy, how it seamlessly complemented the ravey stuff, and how they both affected my pharmacological consumption in the ensuing years. :think:

y3potential

#194 Post by y3potential »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020, 9:00 pm 1990 is up next. Just watching 'Big Hits 1990' - Loose Fit was such a tune. Pedant alert: it was released as a single in 1991 and only got to number 17, so fails on both criteria, but nice to see it anyway. Realise how much I liked Madchester and baggy, how it seamlessly complemented the ravey stuff, and how they both affected my pharmacological consumption in the ensuing years. :think:

With you totally. Looking forward to the remastered appearances of So Hard and the criminally cut short, Being Boring (It's always bugged me ever since..)

stevebr20012

#195 Post by stevebr20012 »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020, 9:00 pm 1990 is up next. Just watching 'Big Hits 1990' - Loose Fit was such a tune. Pedant alert: it was released as a single in 1991 and only got to number 17, so fails on both criteria, but nice to see it anyway. Realise how much I liked Madchester and baggy, how it seamlessly complemented the ravey stuff, and how they both affected my pharmacological consumption in the ensuing years. :think:
They showed Kinky Afro, not Loose Fit. Kinky Afro was released in 1990 and reached number 5, so I would say a fairly big hit and it was their joint highest chart placing with Step On.