Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Undertow to be released as next single

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#121 Post by daveid » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am

Drico One wrote:
Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm
daveid wrote:
Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm
Left to my own devices ( super version ) is a newly recorded b-side.
Not in the traditional sense. It's just another take on an old song. This is usually the province of "bonus tracks", more specifically the third or fourth bonus track on a multi-format package, but in this case it has been promoted to the "b-side" in the absence of anything original. I'm sure it'll be nice to have, but it lacks any great excitement factor for me. The cynic in me thinks they need the CD to justify the rather hefty price of Annually and won't waste something good on such a throwaway release, but I'm not complaining about that. I just don't see the tacked on CD as any kind of an event at all.
daveid wrote:Vocal was a single and that didn't have anything apart from remixes. Many artists don't / didn't release original tracks on singles...but they're still singles.
I knew there was a reason I didn't buy the Vocal CD. Now that you mention it, Vocal was one of the most disappointing releases of their career - even if I think the track itself is a classic. No, for me, a PSB single has at least one original accompanying track for it to merit the term. I realise that I'm completely out of date in holding such a quaint notion, but given the utter ridiculousness of a situation where even the record industry struggles to satisfactorily define the term "single", I'm comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways.

Drico.
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17

User avatar
MikeyC
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat 07 Oct 2006, 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#122 Post by MikeyC » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 1:52 am

daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
Drico One wrote:
Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm
daveid wrote:
Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm
Left to my own devices ( super version ) is a newly recorded b-side.
Not in the traditional sense. It's just another take on an old song. This is usually the province of "bonus tracks", more specifically the third or fourth bonus track on a multi-format package, but in this case it has been promoted to the "b-side" in the absence of anything original. I'm sure it'll be nice to have, but it lacks any great excitement factor for me. The cynic in me thinks they need the CD to justify the rather hefty price of Annually and won't waste something good on such a throwaway release, but I'm not complaining about that. I just don't see the tacked on CD as any kind of an event at all.
daveid wrote:Vocal was a single and that didn't have anything apart from remixes. Many artists don't / didn't release original tracks on singles...but they're still singles.
I knew there was a reason I didn't buy the Vocal CD. Now that you mention it, Vocal was one of the most disappointing releases of their career - even if I think the track itself is a classic. No, for me, a PSB single has at least one original accompanying track for it to merit the term. I realise that I'm completely out of date in holding such a quaint notion, but given the utter ridiculousness of a situation where even the record industry struggles to satisfactorily define the term "single", I'm comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways.

Drico.
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17

LOVE IT!!!! :clap:

User avatar
E-Mail Vampire
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#123 Post by E-Mail Vampire » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 8:40 am

I get the argument about b-sides making it a Pet Shop Boys single. They have made a rod for their own backs with this, as the vast majority (almost every one) of their singles have a b-side. The only ones that don't are Vocal, Axis, Integral and Absolutley Fabulous (excluding the exclusive vinyl only singles).

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#124 Post by daveid » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:55 am

E-Mail Vampire wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 8:40 am
I get the argument about b-sides making it a Pet Shop Boys single. They have made a rod for their own backs with this, as the vast majority (almost every one) of their singles have a b-side. The only ones that don't are Vocal, Axis, Integral and Absolutley Fabulous (excluding the exclusive vinyl only singles).
A single is a single, whether a pre-album 1-track DL or a CD with new songs or a 12 inch vinyl with just remixes. We're in a different world now. It's not 1996 and since they joined Kobalt they've clearly adopted a more flexible (and interesting) approach to releasing singles. Sure, they're more exclusive now in terms of physical units and distribution, but with digital they can have the best of both worlds. Fans can get Undertow on CD with Annually, fans and collectors can buy the 12 " with an extra track and the great unwashed can get a download. It's all good exposure and promotion for the album. It beats their downward slide witj EMI with only two UK singles released off Release...

User avatar
Remark
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri 23 Jun 2006, 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#125 Post by Remark » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:57 am

daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:55 am
E-Mail Vampire wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 8:40 am
I get the argument about b-sides making it a Pet Shop Boys single. They have made a rod for their own backs with this, as the vast majority (almost every one) of their singles have a b-side. The only ones that don't are Vocal, Axis, Integral and Absolutley Fabulous (excluding the exclusive vinyl only singles).
A single is a single, whether a pre-album 1-track DL or a CD with new songs or a 12 inch vinyl with just remixes. We're in a different world now. It's not 1996 and since they joined Kobalt they've clearly adopted a more flexible (and interesting) approach to releasing singles. Sure, they're more exclusive now in terms of physical units and distribution, but with digital they can have the best of both worlds. Fans can get Undertow on CD with Annually, fans and collectors can buy the 12 " with an extra track and the great unwashed can get a download. It's all good exposure and promotion for the album. It beats their downward slide witj EMI with only two UK singles released off Release...
^ This.

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5179
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#126 Post by Drico One » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
Debussy
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 9:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#127 Post by Debussy » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Remark
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri 23 Jun 2006, 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#128 Post by Remark » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:12 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
Literally lol'ed, this is perfection Drico! Completely envisioned you starring in this video. :clap:

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#129 Post by daveid » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:30 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
Good stuff but you should've squeezed Gus Dudgeon in there somewhere... :clap:

User avatar
psbfannyc
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#130 Post by psbfannyc » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 1:13 am

Drico One wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
I love the gorgeous orchestral stabs...

User avatar
Zog
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#131 Post by Zog » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 3:29 am

As long as the Pet Shop Boys don't let something like this distract them from their new album or maybe a between album single... then I'm fine with this release: the more music the better!

-Zog
*** "Those Eyes" - Oculi Mix (text: Pablo Neruda) ***
https://youtu.be/FPZKnphzt7U
*** "My Bones" - feat. Benedict Cumberbatch ***
https://youtu.be/kTfZZ9fhtl8

User avatar
NikacP0kac
Posts: 1159
Joined: Fri 10 May 2013, 12:55 am
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#132 Post by NikacP0kac » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

DRICO, YOU GENIUS! I almost died of laughter.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

trafaelwyr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#133 Post by trafaelwyr » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 2:10 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
This is almost perfect. You need to add the chorus.

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Undertow to be released as next single

#134 Post by Gabby » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

Drico One wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm
daveid wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:38 am
"Comfortable in my curmudgeonly ways"

The new stand alone single from Pet Shop Boys.

Not on the album, Super.

Featuring the new bonus track "The lost room"

Released 01.04.17
Old Curmudgeon,
Is that you?
Dental inlays
Got a Few
Wrinkled features
Bald of head
Write that will
Before you're dead
Old Curmudgeon
Bus pass queue

Old Curmudgeon
12 inch mix
Coloured vinyl
Picture discs
So much better
In my day
Now it's all
Much too gay
Old Curmudgeon
Just 46

That's how you are
And have to be
In a world of downloads
iTunes and streams
You can make believe
That they still sell CDs

Sneer at headphones
And make your way home
To the gramophone
Back in the day my friends used to tell me "Left to My Own Devices" was a song that defined the person I was. Now this 100% defines the person I am today! Hilarious.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mhvbear, Wish, y3potential and 8 guests

cron