It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
lucienchardon

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#256 Post by lucienchardon »

My copy arrived in NYC today. Things must be getting better. It only took 8 days!

The packaging is beautiful. Well worth it.

trafaelwyr

#257 Post by trafaelwyr »

I'm really hoping that I will get my copy that I ordered from Amazon.uk. It says it should arrive by the 1st of July, so I hope I don't get an email saying, "So sorry, all of our stock is sold out." - especially when I ordered this back in March.

TwizzleUK

#258 Post by TwizzleUK »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm
TwizzleUK wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020, 11:27 pm
Struck me that now there's a decent digital copy of the film, there's a wonderful opportunity for some fan-made promo videos in the style of 'Always On My Mind' to be created for the album-only tracks featured using their lip sync sections interspersed with other clips from the film. Could be achieved for 'It Couldn't Happen Here', 'Two Divided By Zero', 'Kings Cross' and 'One More Chance' (the latter perhaps cut to the Further Listening Seven Inch Mix).
A browse through YouTube reveals someone did the above for 3 out of 4 of the above album tracks a few years ago - I guess using the laser disc or VHS footage:
These are almost what I had in mind, but interspersed with a few more clips from elsewhere during the film, a la 'Always On My Mind'. I think they make great promo videos for these non-single tracks. Hopefully someone can redo them using the Blu-ray footage - and of course make one for 'Two Divided By Zero' as well!
Here's a good video for Two Divided By Zero - be great to have an HD version of this: https://youtu.be/kPqyDm7FFug

Marie loves PSB

#259 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Well, to be honest I am shocked to see the Blu Ray/DVD version (not sure it if it the limited edition or not) in the brand new Simply home entertainment catalogue. www.simplyhe.com we have bought quite a few Dvd’s from them. :D

Re-edit - I cannot find it on their web-site so you may have to ring them on 08448482000 as it is on page 40 of their latest catalogue.

themgnt

#260 Post by themgnt »

FWIW my copy arrived in Chicago today from BFI. Very well packaged.

Interesting discussion here. I'll have to compare this with my laserdisc copy.

Sithblade

#261 Post by Sithblade »

Has it been mentioned if they were fans of the Biggles Adventures in Time movie? Or was it the director who got Neil Dickson to reprise his Biggles character?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Greendrake

#262 Post by Greendrake »

Got my copy today and had a quick look at the technical traits of the contents.

All the DVD content is 25 fps.
All the Blu-ray content is 24 fps (and that is precisely 24, not 23.976)

Now, the funniest (and most ridiculous) part is that it's not just the film itself that runs 4% longer on the Blu-ray than on DVD. It's f*** all the content that does so (excluding the Always on my mind video) — even the freshly filmed documentaries!

The durations DVD / Blu-ray:

West End boy: 00:25:59.880 / 00:27:04.875
Trailer: 00:02:17.880 / 00:02:23.625
It can happen here: 00:24:34.400 / 00:25:35.833
Film: 01:22:22.120 / 01:25:48.041
Always on my mind: 00:05:12.880 / 00:05:12.875

So, it is clear to me what needs to be done with all the content but Always on my mind: take the Blu-ray files and somehow make them run at 25 fps (preferably with no or minimum re-encoding).

As for the Always on my mind video (which, unlike the film, was not actually restored in HD) I tend to take the Blu-ray audio track (which is sort-of lossless) and put it on the DVD video track (which contains 4% more frames and bears no less picture data even though the resolution is lower).

UPDATE: The Always on my mind video on the Blu-ray was indeed downsampled from native 25 fps to 24 fps to keep the length the same.
This frame is from the Blue-ray (and they all look like merged of more than one frame when the picture is moving):
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-18h44m07s800.png
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-18h44m07s800.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 588 times
And this is the same moment from the DVD, nice and clean:
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-18h45m18s706.png
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-18h45m18s706.png (433.3 KiB) Viewed 588 times

themgnt

#263 Post by themgnt »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 5:44 am
Got my copy today and had a quick look at the technical traits of the contents.

All the DVD content is 25 fps.
All the Blu-ray content is 24 fps (and that is precisely 24, not 23.976)

[...]

So, it is clear to me what needs to be done with all the content but Always on my mind: take the Blu-ray files and somehow make them run at 25 fps (preferably with no or minimum re-encoding).
If you're ripping this to mkv files, I believe you can edit the header files to change the duration for playback. I've not done this myself but there is a setting for it, and I have used it to fix aspect ratio issues on a few files. The value is set for nanoseconds.

Greendrake

#264 Post by Greendrake »

themgnt wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 3:01 pm
If you're ripping this to mkv files, I believe you can edit the header files to change the duration for playback. I've not done this myself but there is a setting for it, and I have used it to fix aspect ratio issues on a few files. The value is set for nanoseconds.
Not sure about headers but I've found a way (with no re-encoding). Here is the instruction for any geeks here to save their time:

Extract the soundtrack (which is, thankfully, just PCM WAV 48000 Hz):
mkvextract tracks blurayrip.mkv 1:audio24.wav
Squeeze (speed up) it by factor 25/24 just by updating the WAV header from 48 kHz to 50:
sox -r 50000 audio24.wav audio25.wav
Build the right ICHH file to watch!:
mkvmerge -o ICHH.mkv --default-duration 0:25fps --fix-bitstream-timing-information 0 --no-audio --no-subtitles --no-chapters blurayrip.mkv audio25.wav
What the above command does is take the video from the rip, instruct it to be played at 25 fps (again, with no re-conversion whatsoever) and mux with our new fancy 50 kHz soundtrack :D.

Now, if Jack Bond's commentary is wanted that can be just taken from the DVD rip as is (as that is already of the right duration) and muxed into the above file. There is no point in taking this commentary from the Blu-ray as the quality is the same but squeezing is required.

Subtitles can be converted to 25 fps using this command:
bdsup2sub --convert-fps 24,25 -o subs25.sup subs24.sup
(The subs24.sup file is obtained from the Blu-ray rip with mkvextract)

Chapters can be simply copied from the DVD rip (like the director's commentary track).
Last edited by Greendrake on Wed 01 Jul 2020, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

herts101

#265 Post by herts101 »

Just the guide I was looking for! Thank you!

Is there a risk of choppy playback ie creating the need for an additional frame to be inserted each second to move from 24 to 25?

Or is it playing 24 frames every 0.96 seconds instead?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greendrake

#266 Post by Greendrake »

herts101 wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 3:54 pm
Or is it playing 24 frames every 0.96 seconds instead?
That's exactly what it does. All nice and clean :)

herts101

#267 Post by herts101 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oznerol

#268 Post by Oznerol »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 3:35 pm
themgnt wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 3:01 pm
Not sure about headers but I've found a way (with no re-encoding). Here is the instruction for any geeks here to save their time:

Extract the soundtrack (which is, thankfully, just PCM WAV 48000 Hz):
mkvextract tracks blurayrip.mkv 1:audio24.wav
Squeeze (speed up) it by factor 25/24:
sox audio24.wav -r 50000 audio25.wav speed 1.04166666666666666666666666
Note that the above combination of new sample rate and speed causes no conversion/resampling; rather, that same audio data is just instructed to play by 25/24 faster. The corresponding sample rate figure is necessary; otherwise, sox will re-sample to keep it 48 KHz.

Build the right ICHH file to watch!:
mkvmerge -o ICHH.mkv --default-duration 0:25fps --fix-bitstream-timing-information 0 --no-audio --no-subtitles --no-chapters blurayrip.mkv audio25.wav
What the above command does is take the video from the rip, instruct it to be played at 25 fps (again, with no re-conversion whatsoever) and mux with our new fancy 50 kHz soundtrack :D.

Now, if Jack Bond's commentary is wanted that can be just taken from the DVD rip as is (as that is already of the right duration) and muxed into the above file. There is no point in taking this commentary from the Blu-ray as the quality is the same but squeezing is required.

Chapters can be copied from the DVD rip too. So can be subtitles (those on the Blu-ray are nicer but speeding them up to 25 fps would be rather tricky I guess).
..I did the frame rate converstion but with re-encoding, and the result, talking about speeed, is absolutely perfect!.
Also tried to look around to see if there is a way to avoid re-encoding but what I always found online is that there is no way...always a re-encoding must be done...even with those mkv tools...but...
On wich kind of software do you neeed to enter all that technical details to get the correct frame rate without re-encoding??

I´m also very tempted to re-create the Always on my mind video in HD, if that´s not what´s included on the Bluray!! So, for sure the music-video is just an SD copy up-scaled??
This is not my signature.

Disco.

#269 Post by Disco. »

You guys has got way to much time on your hands 😊

Greendrake

#270 Post by Greendrake »

Oznerol wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 9:51 pm
Also tried to look around to see if there is a way to avoid re-encoding but what I always found online is that there is no way...always a re-encoding must be done...even with those mkv tools...but...
On wich kind of software do you neeed to enter all that technical details to get the correct frame rate without re-encoding??
That is MKVToolNix. Specifically, it's the "default_duration" option that does the trick. The other option, "fix-bitstream-timing-information", also apparently patches the fps flags or something deep in the meat of the video data, and that currenly seems only possible with AVC/H.264 codec (which the Blu-ray uses). I am not sure if both the above options are required, or just the container one (default_duration) will work — perhaps it just depends on the player. I found the solution in this answer.
Oznerol wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 9:51 pm
I´m also very tempted to re-create the Always on my mind video in HD, if that´s not what´s included on the Bluray!! So, for sure the music-video is just an SD copy up-scaled??
That's what the Blu-ray version of it appears to be, yes. Not just upscale but also resample of 25fps to 24fps, effectively replacing every 25 frames of the original video with 24 frames that interpolate those 25! (Thanks heavens they did not do this shit to the movie itself!) It's only the audio track of the Always on my mind video that is better on the Blu-ray. By the way, the DVD version is hardly distinguishable from the PopArt DVD one. I don't even know what was the point of re-releasing it!
But yeah, the presence of the film in HD is now very tempting to get this video reconstructed.
Disco. wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 10:20 pm
You guys has got way to much time on your hands 😊
We sort of have the tenacity to not tolerate this ridiculous anecdote: the film was longing for a proper digital release for decades, the negatives were deemed to be lost, hope was almost lost, then by way of some miracle they were found and f*** scanned in 4K. And now what, we can't f*** watch it in HD at the right frame-rate? Well, f*** it, we've got what it takes to get it right on a Thursday night :wink:.