Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

Re: Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...

#61 Post by y3potential »

Howzat !

PSB 40 not out..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

rashomon

#62 Post by rashomon »

I say
I don't like cricket, oh no
I love it

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Spittingcat

#63 Post by Spittingcat »

Sounds like it could be prog pop.

jyllinge

#64 Post by jyllinge »

Fantastic news - will be ready to order next week

oakey

#65 Post by oakey »

Looks like the PSB store indeed only ships from the UK and does not include customs fees in its price (like amazon does) so that will be a costly affair for EU fans due to additional 21% VAT plus import fees (which in the Netherlands will be €12.50 but in Belgium even €22 per shipment). Hope they do charge the price without UK VAT otherwise we will have to pay VAT twice too… or keep the total price excl VAT and shipping below €22

Spittingcat

#66 Post by Spittingcat »

You'll be okay as regards VAT after July, when the EU extended OSS is in place (UK sellers will have to collect VAT for the country of delivery)... assuming the shop keeps selling to the EU at that point... they might need time out to implement the changes. In the meantime though... the short term fix (remove VAT to all EU countries for a period of 6 months, which is what I've implemented for a retailer I look after the e-commerce for) just might not be worth their while... they might decide just to take the extra money and pocket it (and perhaps use it to offset some of the cost of the changes needed for OSS in July... they are complicated to add, especially as regards feeding to accountancy packages, which are now mandatory due to changes in law as regards UK VAT submission).

Brexit is expensive. And complicated. And a mess. Don't blame the retailer.

OakeyDokey

#67 Post by OakeyDokey »

Drico One wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021, 9:35 am "A dramatic new song." Ooh. If it's as good as it sounds, I can see myself doing a full toss on release.

Drico.
Blimey, the cover is enough to raise a semi, proper cricket-bat wood too.

oakey

#68 Post by oakey »

It’s not legal to collect ‘taxes’ from a customer and then pocket the money yourself though, at least not in the EU. I am not allowed to send out an invoice that states “incl.
BTW” (the Dutch VAT) to a customer as I am exempt from
VAT for my teaching job. VAT/BTW should not even be mentioned (not even excl. BTW) as that would be considered tax fraud.

So complicated or not, they should remove the UK VAT just like they adjust shipping cost. It’s a simple calculation based on the buyer’s address.
Nothing complicated. It’s a sales tax, not income for the store owner. So in that case I do blame the shop.
Last edited by oakey on Tue 23 Feb 2021, 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

oakey

#69 Post by oakey »

Sorry
Last edited by oakey on Tue 23 Feb 2021, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oakey

#70 Post by oakey »

Double

Gabby

#71 Post by Gabby »

oakey wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021, 6:58 pm It’s not legal to collect ‘taxes’ from a customer and then pocket the money yourself though, at least not in the EU. I am not allowed to send out an invoice that states “incl.
BTW” (the Dutch VAT) to a customer as I am exempt from
VAT for my teaching job. VAT/BTW should not even be mentioned (not even excl. BTW) as that would be considered tax fraud.

So complicated or not, they should remove the UK VAT just like they adjust shipping cost. It’s a simple calculation based on the buyer’s address.
Nothing complicated. It’s a sales tax, not income for the store owner. So in that case I do blame the shop.
Amazon got caught with their pants down and now charge extortionate shipping rates for shipments from the UK to Canada. I can literally get something shipped from Amazon UK for free to my Dad in the UK, and have him Fedex it to me as a gift for cheaper than Amazon directly sending it to me. *loopholes*

I think the combined greed of the likes of Amazon and the *insert country name here* tax collector means it's the customer who ends up footing the bill for everything. I suppose in some respects that's correct, but we should never have got to this point in the first place. Consumers will always look for choice, value and speed of delivery now. If the stars don't align, these places wont receive any custom.

Spittingcat

#72 Post by Spittingcat »

It’s not legal to collect ‘taxes’ from a customer and then pocket the money yourself though, at least not in the EU. I am not allowed to send out an invoice that states “incl.
Same here. But you can charge the same final price, with VAT only itemised on the UK receipts. There is no obligation to charge the same pre-tax price. So UK sale can be £24 inc vat (£20+4) and EU sale can be £24 with no vat (£24+0)… all the shop prices stay the same then… just invoiced and accounted for differently… which for just a 6 month window, when sellers have a lot of other mess to deal with, is the way many have gone. Better than suspending sales to the EU.
Simple calculation, but the work to put it in place might be a waste of money, for just six months. Pay or pay not, it’s up to you, but shops can charge what they want… and currently shipping UK>EU is expensive and time consuming (when it used to be cheap and simple). Prices will go up.
So in that case I do blame the shop.
Well they could spend the money putting short term multiple pricing change in place, and then just whack up the delivery charge to cover the extra instead. Whatever they do, it now costs them more, so you will be paying them more. Blame them if you want, it’s academic.
Last edited by Spittingcat on Wed 24 Feb 2021, 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

billjermaine

#73 Post by billjermaine »

How PSB is that song title though !

The gentleman's englishness of it, the hint of tabloid salaciousness and the detached observation implied in it all. Just in those 2 words.

Dog

#74 Post by Dog »

billjermaine wrote:How PSB is that song title though !

The gentleman's englishness of it, the hint of tabloid salaciousness and the detached observation implied in it all. Just in those 2 words.
I know what you’re saying but I’m not sure it is a particularly PSB title. Do they really tend to do the overt English thing, or salaciousness? To my mind it’s more Divine Comedy, or maybe Pulp or The Fall.
Woof.

minimal

#75 Post by minimal »

I'm excited to read nickname's chart analysis of the new track.

m+