Robert Smith from The Cure isn't a Neil Tennant fan

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Jareth

Robert Smith from The Cure isn't a Neil Tennant fan

#1 Post by Jareth »

I was searching for the performance of Hallo Spaceboy at the Brit Awards (found it at Youtube eventually) and came across this page:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/I38.html
Wedged into an elegant sofa by the telly, they suck on their the first beers of the night and revert to classic Cure cattiness. David Bowie and the Pet Shop Boys, with 'Hello Spaceboy', are first on and first in the critical firing line.

"God, this really is shit, isn't it?" Simon Gallup decides. "The Thin White One has lost it. Yet again. Why's se singing in that stupid Anthony Newley voice again? He hasn't done that for years!"

"I hate Neil Tennant even more, though," snorts Robert Smith "Just look at him, a sad old journalist standing there being oh-so-clever and ironic. He's so perfectly post-modern he can't even dare to smile!"
Charming!

Integralist

#2 Post by Integralist »

Wanker.

rags

#3 Post by rags »

Integralist wrote:Wanker.
That is essentially what Mr Smith is already saying about him, yes, but well summarized indeed!

Integralist

#4 Post by Integralist »

:evil:

Padster

Re: Robert Smith from The Cure isn't a Neil Tennant fan

#5 Post by Padster »

"I hate Neil Tennant even more, though," snorts Robert Smith "Just look at him, a sad old journalist standing there being oh-so-clever and ironic. He's so perfectly post-modern he can't even dare to smile!"

When did Robert Smith ever smile ? Integralist you got it right first time - I'll smash my cure CDs up when I get home.!!!

leesmapman

#6 Post by leesmapman »

Robert Smith wrote: "I hate Neil Tennant even more, though," snorts Robert Smith "Just look at him, a sad old journalist standing there being oh-so-clever and ironic. He's so perfectly post-modern he can't even dare to smile!"
Neil probably gave a bad review of one of their albums

Dipso

#7 Post by Dipso »

Does Robert Smith like anyone though?
Prick up your ears.

Syncratic

#8 Post by Syncratic »

Well Tennant has quite rightly slated The Cure as well. But they also slated U2 and they love them now. Robert Smith is nothing more than a pretend shoegazer with fake existential angst. He's read Kafka and taken it all too seriously, the bits that he can understand. I liked 'A Forest' though. ALways makes me giggle.

Joemoz

#9 Post by Joemoz »

Isn't it in one of the books that they are asked to comment about Robert Smiths calling them the worst band in the world and Chris says "Well I think The Cure are the worst band in the world"?
It was a cough that carried him off. It was a coffin they carried him off in.

mindboy

#10 Post by mindboy »

Syncratic wrote:Well Tennant has quite rightly slated The Cure as well. But they also slated U2 and they love them now. Robert Smith is nothing more than a pretend shoegazer with fake existential angst. He's read Kafka and taken it all too seriously, the bits that he can understand. I liked 'A Forest' though. ALways makes me giggle.
"A forest" is brilliant thanks to the production by Blank & Jones.;)
Chris Heath: Why you're surfing?
Chris Lowe: Coz we can!
Neil Tennant: Exactly. :D
(Performance commentary during What have I done to deserve this??)

mole973102

#11 Post by mole973102 »

This could be totally wrong...

The Cure did a track yonks ago called Boys don't cry.
They have a certain image renaissance of girls.
Geddit yet?

Undertaker

#12 Post by Undertaker »

Did they do any other song than that love cats shite, or whatever it was called?

Dave

Darkstar

#13 Post by Darkstar »

Really? Robert Smith doesn't love Neil Tennant....That's a problem!!! :mrgreen: :P
We're concerned, you're a threat. You are NOT INTEGRAL to the project...

http://www.myspace.com/alexroma

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile

mole973102

#14 Post by mole973102 »

Syncratic wrote:[snip!] Robert Smith is nothing more than a pretend shoegazer with fake existential angst. He's read Kafka and taken it all too seriously, the bits that he can understand. I liked 'A Forest' though. ALways makes me giggle.
Is this your quote or Neil's?
I quite like Friday I'm In Love. I bought the clear vinyl of that because I thought maybe worth something and a friend of mine at the time did. In the end I decided I should think for myself.

Ghost within this house

#15 Post by Ghost within this house »

Jareth wrote:I was searching for the performance of Hallo Spaceboy at the Brit Awards (found it at Youtube eventually) and came across this page:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/I38.html
Wedged into an elegant sofa by the telly, they suck on their the first beers of the night and revert to classic Cure cattiness. David Bowie and the Pet Shop Boys, with 'Hello Spaceboy', are first on and first in the critical firing line.

"God, this really is shit, isn't it?" Simon Gallup decides. "The Thin White One has lost it. Yet again. Why's se singing in that stupid Anthony Newley voice again? He hasn't done that for years!"

Charming!
What a fantastic compliment :lol:
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun