What do PSB have to do to sell records ????

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
davenjulieuk

What do PSB have to do to sell records ????

#1 Post by davenjulieuk »

We all know that Fundamental *IS* the best psb album in ages but yet here we are a few weeks after release and its now out of the Top 200 :(

I'm with stupid stayed a few weeks in the Top 40 and quickly dissapeared....

It look like Minimal would probably do the same...

Do we think that Dave Dorrell is doing a good job with the management of the boys ??? I agree that they have had plenty of promotion with tv interviews, tv specials, live dates but i think that the boys are getting less and less commercial...

So my question is what do PSB have to do to sell records...

Wonder if they would sell their souls to get back to number 1 (ie appear on Celebrity Big Brother / Get Me Out Of Here !!!)...
Miracles happen when you're around...

Burj

#2 Post by Burj »

Remix and re-release Always On My Mind

Flaffer

#3 Post by Flaffer »

know something we don't :wink:
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Burj

#4 Post by Burj »

Oh you know...lots :wink:

Ronald42

#5 Post by Ronald42 »

Burj wrote:Remix and re-release Always On My Mind
That was Always on my mind. Never happen. Unless when they are dead and can stop this from happening.
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

profile790

#6 Post by profile790 »

It's clear that Fundamental was milked enough in the UK. They should focus more on European countries where their amount of promotion isn't saturated yet.

Nickname

Re: What do PSB have to do to sell records ????

#7 Post by Nickname »

davenjulieuk wrote:We all know that Fundamental *IS* the best psb album in ages but yet here we are a few weeks after release and its now out of the Top 200 :(

Do we think that Dave Dorrell is doing a good job with the management of the boys ??? I agree that they have had plenty of promotion with tv interviews, tv specials, live dates but i think that the boys are getting less and less commercial...

Wonder if they would sell their souls to get back to number 1 (ie appear on Celebrity Big Brother / Get Me Out Of Here !!!)...
A better choice of their singles, no cam lyrics, good videos, etc. And they need a really BIG hit.

glennjridge

#8 Post by glennjridge »

I say it all the time, but I really believe the only way they will have a hit again,well a major one ,would be getting their song featured in a key movie scene in a animated movie. it probabaly would be considered selling out but kids and their parents buy up everything along with these movies.

and if they did some beautiful sappy romantic love song or poppy little number and got it in a big scene I bet it would sell as the children dont have any clue about the PSB or their ...ahem....background and their parents would buy the soundtrack or single.

yeah I know some cringe at the thought of them going into phil collins you'll be in my heart" or can you feel the love tonite elton john territory, but a hit is a hit.

Luke Colorado

#9 Post by Luke Colorado »

Who cares.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

FreshDebesh

#10 Post by FreshDebesh »

As long as they're making albums and singles with bsides on it, I don't care. I think the PSB at this point have enough of a worldwide fanbase for Parlophone to keep them and have them making music, but not enough mass appeal to go back to their imperialistic days of the late 80's.

Burj

Re: What do PSB have to do to sell records ????

#11 Post by Burj »

nickname wrote: no cam lyrics
I know Chris is a bit of a webcam fiend but I don't hear it in Neil's lyrics. :? :shock:

i probably would

#12 Post by i probably would »

We all know that Fundamental *IS* the best psb album in ages but yet here we are a few weeks after release and its now out of the Top 200

I agree with you 100% - I dont think the boys are getting any new fans - PSB have a tremendously loyal fan base and we all buy new releases in the 1st week and thats it. After that they bomb out of the charts with no more than a whimper. There are loads of singles and albums which hang around the charts for months and none of them are a patch on the boys. I put it down to when neil came out and said he was gay it halved their fanbase over night. I still haven't seen a tv advert since popart.

It would be amazing to have one more BIG hit but in reality it aint gonna happen. Minimal will just scrape top 20 and disapear in a week and we might get a 3rd single if we are lucky.

I have loved the boys since 1986 spent £1000's on everything and seen them live 6 times and I know that there are so many loyal fans out there but is it enough??

Neil and Chris have made a fantastic album and does anyone think they might be pissed off with the album sales so far??

Luke Colorado

#13 Post by Luke Colorado »

Ok, let's face it. They aren't COOL, never really were, and I don't expect them ever to be.

It's all affectation and sophistication and rather GAY at times (sorry) and I eat it up, but it most certainly isn't COOL.

Madonna is and was cool.

Depeche is and was VERY cool.

New Order is and was VERY cool.

These guys have an attitude so they can still have hits.

Lucas.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

LoveComesQuickly

#14 Post by LoveComesQuickly »

Celebrity Big Brother!!! What a horrible thought. :o

Neil and Chris are artists, not bubble-gum merchants. c.f. the Roger Scruton case.

They are financially secure and have nothing to prove.

Their new work can and should break entirely new ground.
You can fly away to the end of the world
but where does it get you to?

gareth

#15 Post by gareth »

karmavore wrote:Who cares.
Hear hear
Furious angels will bring you back to me