Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Neil & Chris Texts

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
geowayne
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 6:43 am
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2461 Post by geowayne » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

glennjridge wrote:sliding into nickname territory I"m afraid a song with a title like "winner" has no choice but to slip into the usual insipid cliche's of the history of tunes that have a like sounding title where all of the lyrics relate to competition and rising above.
I'm not sure I agree. I have my own theory about "Winner" -- assuming it's even the correct title, of course -- that it may have something to do with celebrity meltdowns. If you recall the case last year of Charlie Sheen, who repeatedly referred to himself as "winning" during his notoriously bizarre public pronouncements of his own apparent meltdown phase, you'll see what I mean. I think that would be a lot more traditionally "PSB-ish" than something having to do with athletes, the Olympics, and the like.

But this is all wild speculation. Fun speculation, for sure, but speculation nonetheless. We're not even sure about the single's title yet.

BrilliantPSB
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2003, 3:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2462 Post by BrilliantPSB » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

Sandy Shaw wrote:
BrilliantPSB wrote:
No, it doesn't mean that.
It just means WINNER was not published as a PSB single on any major site like the British Music Industry magazine and there's no need to deny it.
Music Week is exactly where the info on Winner WAS published (then leaked)!
show me
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

User avatar
Sandy Shaw
Posts: 3678
Joined: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 9:36 am
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2463 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

BrilliantPSB wrote:
Sandy Shaw wrote:
BrilliantPSB wrote:
No, it doesn't mean that.
It just means WINNER was not published as a PSB single on any major site like the British Music Industry magazine and there's no need to deny it.
Music Week is exactly where the info on Winner WAS published (then leaked)!
show me
http://www.thisisnotretro.com/pet-shop- ... -in-august

If you register on the Music Week site, which has a free trial, you will be able to see the source of the info.
What's for supper?

BrilliantPSB
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2003, 3:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2464 Post by BrilliantPSB » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

sorry but that's not Music Week magazine and WINNER was not officially published as the leading single either.
It was another error as the "Down in the Woods" one, which is actually other artist's single name.
Time will prove me (or not) right.
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

User avatar
Undertaker
Posts: 8735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 9:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2465 Post by Undertaker » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

Don't worry, i'm sure another one of the forums 'in the don't knows' will post another load of crap in the next few days.

It makes me laugh the amount of shit you see posted and a source never linked. Then the actual news turns out to be a load of crap anyway. It's worse than those that put up news they have read on facebook or twitter and try making out they are the oracle.

bohemians.
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed 05 Nov 2008, 10:46 am
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2466 Post by bohemians. » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

you really make me laugh, Sandy, Neil checking out "bohemians."..
so no competition in woods :roll:
..it looks like there was one in Ascot- Lara Stone s face close to Neil -that you should send to mermaid topic/and Neil did not call me to join :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Sandy Shaw
Posts: 3678
Joined: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 9:36 am
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2467 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

BrilliantPSB wrote:sorry but that's not Music Week magazine and WINNER was not officially published as the leading single either.
It was another error as the "Down in the Woods" one, which is actually other artist's single name.
Time will prove me (or not) right.
Music Week publish their info in a magazine AND online...
What's for supper?

User avatar
AlfonsoPSB
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sun 12 Jun 2005, 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2468 Post by AlfonsoPSB » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

05 July 2012

Record of the week

We have been informed that "Winner" will be Record Of The Week on BBC Radio 2 next week! More information can be found at the link below.

Radio 2
It's in the music, you fools!

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8374
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2469 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

Status Quo are on the A-list with their Winner.

I'm pretty confident that PSB will be heavily playlisted on Radio 2 come late July/August. :wink: They are media darlings after all, just like the Quo.
Official account of record-breaking, multiple award-winning director Patrick Bateman.

User avatar
Radiophonic
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sun 29 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2470 Post by Radiophonic » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm



Now that's just painful.

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2471 Post by y3potential » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
I live for the day when DJ Culture is performed live in concert.

User avatar
Radiophonic
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sun 29 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2472 Post by Radiophonic » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 6:36 pm

y3potential wrote:Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
There is my point. 8)

By the way, I bailed out very early.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Image

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2473 Post by y3potential » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

Radiophonic wrote:
y3potential wrote:Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
There is my point. 8)

By the way, I bailed out very early.

I thought I would take a hit for the team... :dance:
I live for the day when DJ Culture is performed live in concert.

User avatar
Ghost within this house
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2474 Post by Ghost within this house » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

geowayne wrote:
glennjridge wrote:sliding into nickname territory I"m afraid a song with a title like "winner" has no choice but to slip into the usual insipid cliche's of the history of tunes that have a like sounding title where all of the lyrics relate to competition and rising above.
I'm not sure I agree. I have my own theory about "Winner" -- assuming it's even the correct title, of course -- that it may have something to do with celebrity meltdowns. If you recall the case last year of Charlie Sheen, who repeatedly referred to himself as "winning" during his notoriously bizarre public pronouncements of his own apparent meltdown phase, you'll see what I mean. I think that would be a lot more traditionally "PSB-ish" than something having to do with athletes, the Olympics, and the like.

But this is all wild speculation. Fun speculation, for sure, but speculation nonetheless. We're not even sure about the single's title yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTwjwrQYQ
Gunpoint has a firm voice

User avatar
Ghost within this house
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2475 Post by Ghost within this house » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm

geowayne wrote:
glennjridge wrote:sliding into nickname territory I"m afraid a song with a title like "winner" has no choice but to slip into the usual insipid cliche's of the history of tunes that have a like sounding title where all of the lyrics relate to competition and rising above.
I'm not sure I agree. I have my own theory about "Winner" -- assuming it's even the correct title, of course -- that it may have something to do with celebrity meltdowns. If you recall the case last year of Charlie Sheen, who repeatedly referred to himself as "winning" during his notoriously bizarre public pronouncements of his own apparent meltdown phase, you'll see what I mean. I think that would be a lot more traditionally "PSB-ish" than something having to do with athletes, the Olympics, and the like.

But this is all wild speculation. Fun speculation, for sure, but speculation nonetheless. We're not even sure about the single's title yet.
Wayne, come and join in the theorising! Still reckon there's a celebrity thing going on in Winner? Autobiographical? Olympic? Shameless? A bit of all four?
Gunpoint has a firm voice

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mhvbear, tottenhammattspurs, Wish, zukunft and 10 guests

cron