Improved tracklisting

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Palpatine

Improved tracklisting

#1 Post by Palpatine »

Pick any studio album (or albums) and tell me how you would improve the tracklisting, i.e. what tracks would you remove and what would you replace them with?

vincenzosz

Re: Improved tracklisting

#2 Post by vincenzosz »

This is always a fun game. I have said before that I live the idea of Release, but thought it wasn't executed as well as it could be. I have improved the track listing, and my version of Release is one of my fav PSB albums. Though, I'm sure many wouldn't care for my selection....

1. Home and dry
2. I get along
3. Searching for the face of Jesus
4. I didn't get where I am today
5. London
6. E-mail
7. Between two islands
8. Hit and miss
9. Here
10. Birthday boy
11. You choose

It's a much more consistent listen now. I know I'm one of the few that likes Searching...

Once I hear the rest of the b-sides, I'd like to try to rearrange the order on Elysium. So it's less manic.

Palpatine

#3 Post by Palpatine »

I really like Searching and I would have put it on the album.

Ghost within this house

#4 Post by Ghost within this house »

I love SFTFOJ
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

BlueSwan

#5 Post by BlueSwan »

Please:
Replace the album version of "Suburbia" with the single version. Replace "Why Don't We Live Together" and "Opportunies (reprise) with "In The Night (Arthur Baker 7" mix) and Paninaro like this:

1. Two Divided By Zero
2. Love Comes Quickly
3. Opportunities
4. West End Girls
5. Suburbia
6. In The Night
7. Tonight Is Forever
8. Violence
9. Later Tonight
10. I Want A Lover
11. Paninaro

Actually:
Replace "Shopping" and "Hit Music" with "A New Life" and "Do I Have To".

Introspective:
Replace the album version of It's Alright with the 10" version. If that happened then it would be a perfect album, really.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

Palpatine

#6 Post by Palpatine »

Introspective

Left to my own devices
Domino dancing
I want a dog
I'm not scared
Bounce
Always on my mind/In my house
It's alright

Left to my own devices would be the same as the album version but would have the drums from the 7". I'm not scared and It's alright would be shorter by about a minute as both go on a bit too long. Bounce would be a big Chicago house record.

Release

Home and dry
I get along
Birthday boy
London
Between two islands
The samurai in autumn
Searching for the face of Jesus
The night I fell in love
I didn't get where I am today
You choose
Always

I would change the title of Always to Summer comes, to avoid confusion with Always on my mind and the Erasure tune. The production would be more organic, i.e. using real instruments instead of crap samples. The cover of the Japanese edition with the red flower would be the standard cover for all editions.

Fundamental

God willing (long version)
Fugitive
After the event
I made my excusues and left
Minimal
The Sodom and Gomrrah show
Psychological
The Resurrectionist
I'm with stupid
Indefinite leave to remain
Casanova in hell
Twentieth century
Integral

Fundamental would be more electro (Richard X maybe) and I made my excuses... would be a more conventional pop song, with a shorter intro, choruses and a second verse to finish the story.

Tom Angel

#7 Post by Tom Angel »

The album that would most benefit from a change of tracklisting IS Release. It would be one of their finest without birthday boy and footsteps.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tom Angel

#8 Post by Tom Angel »

I made my excuses WORKS in my opinion because if the amazing intro. Rs ISN'T conventional, but stronger for it.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Eldritch

#9 Post by Eldritch »

Tom Angel wrote:The album that would most benefit from a change of tracklisting IS Release. It would be one of their finest without birthday boy and footsteps.
Well, it's close to their finest then, because it doesn't include Footsteps... (Strongly disagree about BB, which to me is the best track on the album. E-Mail on the other hand is horrendous and The Night I Fell In Love is a very dull song)

Nightlife is perhaps PSB's only album which couldn't really be significantly improved by switching tracks, because the b-sides are so uninspired. Ghost Of Myself could replace any of the four final tracks, but it wouldn't make that big a difference.
Click click drone

mika

#10 Post by mika »

Bilingual

Discoteca
Single
How I Learnt To Hate Rock n Roll
Se A Vida E
The Boy Who Couldn´t Keep His Clothes On
Hit And Miss

Before
It Always Comes As A Surprise
Up Against It
The Survivors
To Step Aside
Delusions Of Grandeur

mika

E-Mail Vampire

#11 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

vincenzosz wrote:This is always a fun game. I have said before that I live the idea of Release, but thought it wasn't executed as well as it could be. I have improved the track listing, and my version of Release is one of my fav PSB albums. Though, I'm sure many wouldn't care for my selection....

1. Home and dry
2. I get along
3. Searching for the face of Jesus
4. I didn't get where I am today
5. London
6. E-mail
7. Between two islands
8. Hit and miss
9. Here
10. Birthday boy
11. You choose

It's a much more consistent listen now. I know I'm one of the few that likes Searching...

Once I hear the rest of the b-sides, I'd like to try to rearrange the order on Elysium. So it's less manic.

Any reason why you'd include a B-Side from 1996 (Hit And Miss) on Release?

I love the quirkiness of The Night I Fell In Love and in my opinion Release is perfect except for one song.

Release

1. Home And Dry
2. I Get Along
3. Searching For The Face Of Jesus
4. E-Mail
5. Birthday Boy
6. Love Is A Catastrophe
7. The Samurai In Autumn
8. London
9. The Night I Fell In Love
10. You Choose

Nightlife - I'd remove New York City Boy and replace with The Ghost Of Myself

Fundamental - I'd remove Indefinite Leave To Remain and add Fugitive

Yes - I'd remove Building A Wall and add Up And Down

E-Mail Vampire

#12 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Eldritch wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:The album that would most benefit from a change of tracklisting IS Release. It would be one of their finest without birthday boy and footsteps.
Well, it's close to their finest then, because it doesn't include Footsteps... (Strongly disagree about BB, which to me is the best track on the album. E-Mail on the other hand is horrendous and The Night I Fell In Love is a very dull song)

Nightlife is perhaps PSB's only album which couldn't really be significantly improved by switching tracks, because the b-sides are so uninspired. Ghost Of Myself could replace any of the four final tracks, but it wouldn't make that big a difference.
I'm sorry but Footsteps is possibly the best song on Nightlife that wasn't a single. I love the mood and sentiment of the track. It should have been a single with a really moody black and white video.

Palpatine

#13 Post by Palpatine »

Eldritch wrote:

The big problem with the Nightlife era is that a lot of the best backing tracks were wasted on the musical. Call me old-fashioned, Caligula, Nine out of ten, My Night, Something Special, and even Out of my system all have great backing tracks and could have been great songs with proper lyrics.

I don't mind Footsteps but I prefer the live version without the drums.

mika

#14 Post by mika »

Release (Preferred version)

1. You Got To Start Somewhere (obviously produced, maybe without ebeneezer good samples)
2. I Didn´t Get Where I Am Today (Lead single)
3. E-mail
4. Always (Edited as single nr 3)
5. Birthday Boy
6. London ( single nr 4)
7. Home And Dry (Second single)
8. Something Special (version)
9. Here
10. I Get Along

mika

Palpatine

#15 Post by Palpatine »

Very

Can you forgive her?
I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing
Liberation
A different point of view
Dreaming of the Queen
Yesterday, when I was mad
The Theatre
Shameless
One and one make five
To speak is a sin
Young Offender
Go west

I would've given One in a million to Take That. I would have released Relentless separately in lieu of Disco 2.

Relentless

Some speculation
My head is spinning
Forever in love
KDX 125
We came from outer space
Euroboy
The man who has everything
One thing leads to another