Your 1st and latest PSBs music purchase?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ramzy

Re: Your 1st and latest PSBs music purchase?

#46 Post by Ramzy »

First was a CD copy of Very (with the picture of the original orange case on the front) in April 1998, four and a half years after I realised, aged five, that I wanted to hear 'Go West' again but didn't know how.

Most recent was the Elysium LP.

Favourite? If I could only keep one item, it'd still be that mid-price reissue of Very from 14 years ago. Probably the single object whose acquisition has most changed my life. It's basically irreplaceable. I don't think I could physically be that suggestible now I'm grown up* even if I wanted.

*approximately
I must disengage your recreational music.

grantwww

#47 Post by grantwww »

From vinyl to vinyl. Talk about things going full circle!

First: Please vinyl LP
Last: Elysium vinyl LP

Next: Leaving single package (once I have worked out the best place to order it from)

Izione

#48 Post by Izione »

Have enjoyed this topic, thanks for all sharing so far.
As the previous post states ... Who would have thought that 26 years on (approx) from Please that vinyl is still popular with the fans of PSBs and music.
Quite a triumph in a digital dominated age.

When there is a complete data meltdown and formats for digital music are obsolete, I smugly smile knowing my memories and vinyl collection lives on.
Kinda Memories of the future ;)

Looking forward to more stories on this one.
http://www.realizationmusic.co.uk
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

Mark R.Y.

#49 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Good thing I keep a list of all of my PSB purchases! First were used CDs of BEHAVIOUR and VERY (21 Nov. 2008). Most recent were used 12 inch U.S.copies of "Opportunities" and "Domino Dancing" (yesterday).
Last edited by Mark R.Y. on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bjossi

#50 Post by Bjossi »

Izione wrote:When there is a complete data meltdown and formats for digital music are obsolete, I smugly smile knowing my memories and vinyl collection lives on.
Considering how easy it is to replicate data compared to physical mediums it can be argued that data has a far higher durability potential. You can create unlimited number of backups of your music collection and have them in many locations, while you only have one copy of your vinyl collection that is subject to any sort of unforeseen events such as burglary or house fire, until mainstream molecular replication technology is unveiled that is...

Also there is no need to worry about format compatibility, Neumann's design still stands strong and as long as that is the case computers of the future will be able to run the algorithms written today, even without re-compilation. Things get more complicated when taking the operating system layer into account but it shouldn't prove to be an obstacle except in rare situations. You can probably still successfully encode a wav file to mp3 using a 15 year old compile of the encoder.

Mattis

#51 Post by Mattis »

My first purchase was Please, on cassette, in 1986.
Then, a few days ago, I recieved a perfect sealed vinyl-box of PopArt. Fantastic item, I think. :)

britboy

#52 Post by britboy »

My first purchase was only the cost of magazine as it was a freebie four track single free with Record Mirror back in 1985, it featured In The Night, my first proper purchase was Please at HMV in Oxford Street in 1986. My last purchase was the Deluxe Edition of Elysium via an internet webshop :)

Rusty

#53 Post by Rusty »

First: 12" vinyl of West End Girls
Last: The standard & deluxe CD versions of Elysium
Next: The CD singles of Leaving (unless I find anything interesting to buy in London in the next 2 weeks)
But it feels like the flight
Of the von Trapps, does that mean it's war?

Hillbilly

#54 Post by Hillbilly »

1st: Behaviour CD

Last: Elysium 2-CD

Ellie

#55 Post by Ellie »

MD wrote:
Ellie wrote:First was the remastered Behaviour in 2006 when I was just discovering PSB, as I knew it was a fan favourite. I was vaguely aware Fundamental was out but it didn't occur to me to get it then and I couldn't get hold of the special edition for ages anyway.

Those brilliant little booklets in the remastered Behaviour and Very (and the others later) with all the explanations and pictures were pretty much my introduction to PSB so I'm really glad they did them.

Latest was Elysium, the iTunes version (after the CD). I haven't ordered Leaving yet.
You had the perfect introduction to PSBs with the FL remasters. They are fantastic.
Yeah, I didn't know about the booklets either, I only got it because there were 2 discs. I was really happy to have so much info.

I've just realised Behaviour wasn't my first PSB purchase, though. It was Disco, which I found in a shop. When I got home, I was annoyed to find out it was remixes as I wanted to hear the originals first, lol.

Izione

#56 Post by Izione »

Ellie wrote:I've just realised Behaviour wasn't my first PSB purchase, though. It was Disco, which I found in a shop. When I got home, I was annoyed to find out it was remixes as I wanted to hear the originals first, lol.
Fortunately the remixes which compiles Disco are IMO superb and the solid foundations that are the Pet Shop Boys.
Credit to the remixers of those tracks who we all know and love.
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

Izione

#57 Post by Izione »

Which reminds me.. Would be great if they could come back and engineer a current song....
@realizationmsc

Axonthenet

#58 Post by Axonthenet »

First: Can you forgive her CDsingle01
Last: Elysium 1CD/2CD/LP
-------------------------------------------------
Axonthenet official blog
http://axonthenet.splinder.com

Piotrek

#59 Post by Piotrek »

My first purchase was Very in the orange lego case.
The last was Elysium on vinyl.
Next is the Leaving singles package.

Naughty Zoot

#60 Post by Naughty Zoot »

1st ~ Behavior. Cassette tape.
Latest ~ Leaving. On CD.
My All Time Fave release ~~ the Lego Box Very / Relentless CDs.
I didn't even own a CD player @ the time. But I HAD to have it.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...