Everything means something

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Eldritch

Everything means something

#1 Post by Eldritch »

Out of all Elysium tracks this is the one I still can't make up my mind on. I dislike Winner (even though I tolerate it in the album context), Ego Music I have grown weary with and Hold On is too cheesy for my liking, but it's not a major flaw. I don't skip any tracks because I hate doing that. All other tracks I love for various reasons, but Everything Means Something just seems unfinished. Andrew Dawson has done a wonderful job with Elysium but here I feel he hasn't succeeded. Both the verses and the chorus just aren't strong enough for Dawson's spacey production. In order to work the track would have to be more dramatic and hard-hitting to capture the foreboding mood of the song. Or perhaps it just isn't a strong enough song?

Your thoughts?
Click click drone

Patrick Bateman

Re: Everything means something

#2 Post by Patrick Bateman »

It is the track that reminds me most of 808s and Heartbreak.

Undertaker

#3 Post by Undertaker »

Its the style in which the verses are sung that i'm not keen on. Worst song on the album for me. Well least favourite, as i'd still give it a 6/10 because it's catchy.

rashomon

#4 Post by rashomon »

Although I think this is a good album track, I agree that something is not quite there with this song.

I like the idea of the track and the more darker overtones, musically as well it is different - perhaps it drags on a bit with an unnecessary extra verse. Also, it would have added a bit more interest if Neil sang, "I said:" instead of "You said:" for the last verse to turn the tables a bit.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

retrofuturist

#5 Post by retrofuturist »

I really like it. It's something different, yet is done very well. 5th fave off Elysium for me.

Debussy

#6 Post by Debussy »

Its growing on me but the timing frustrates me. Has anyone worked it out ? Is it 12/8 verse and 6/8 chorus?

minimal

#7 Post by minimal »

It's by far the darkest and most atmospheric track on Elysium. It's got a strong melody and a catchy chorus. It's one of the few tracks off Elysium that convinced me right from the first listening. It's one of my favourites, actually. So 8-9 out of 10 seems appropriate I think.

m+

jut2k

#8 Post by jut2k »

For me there aren't enough "layers" to the song (lyrically and sonically). I liked it the most the first time I heard it; and to be honest I don't like the production all that much.

Mark R.Y.

#9 Post by Mark R.Y. »

This is the ELYSIUM track that pops up the most often in my head now that I've listened to the album several times. It very well might be my favorite of the 12.

Tom Angel

#10 Post by Tom Angel »

It's a bit bland, from the title down really, its one of their weakest sibgs ever and I'd never play it on its own. HOWEVER, it works brilliantly on the album. It's lyrics are crucial, and it's the relief from everything means something's paranoia that makes Requim work so well. I think...
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tom Angel

#11 Post by Tom Angel »

It's a bit bland, from the title down really, its one of their weakest sibgs ever and I'd never play it on its own. HOWEVER, it works brilliantly on the album. It's lyrics are crucial, and it's the relief from everything means something's paranoia that makes Requim work so well. I think...
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Kris

#12 Post by Kris »

I can't quite make up my mind on this either, partly because it's got a very unusual vibe for a PSB song; it could almost be a Massive Attack or Portishead track, such is its eerie production. I really like the overall trippy feel of the song, and the chorus is excellent, but not sure the verses do it justice.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Ramzy

#13 Post by Ramzy »

Debussy wrote:Its growing on me but the timing frustrates me. Has anyone worked it out ? Is it 12/8 verse and 6/8 chorus?
The verse is just 4/4. The chorus is in 6/4 I think. 12/8 and 6/8 would sound pretty indistinguishable side-by-side. The metric 'twist' in this song is that this goes from simple time into compound time without changing the actual beat unit - as opposed to, say, the PSB mix of 'Love etc' where the shift from four into 12 happens by slicing up the beat itself. Hope this makes sense!
I must disengage your recreational music.

Hillbilly

#14 Post by Hillbilly »

Undertaker wrote:Its the style in which the verses are sung that i'm not keen on. Worst song on the album for me. Well least favourite, as i'd still give it a 6/10 because it's catchy.
I agree. It was a grower at first, but now I sometimes feel that I want to skip the track when it starts. Haven't skipped it yet though. You are right about the verses: too much auto-tune and it also drags on a bit too long. The chorus is however catchy.

daveid

#15 Post by daveid »

Thin, empty, dull, repetitive, retarded. Might even be worse than winner! These 2 spoil a great 10-track album.