5 favorite/least favorite PSB videos

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Mark R.Y.

5 favorite/least favorite PSB videos

#1 Post by Mark R.Y. »

I couldn't find a similar topic using the search engine, so forgive me if this is a duplicate of an earlier thread.

In any case, name your five favorite and then your five least favorite PSB promo videos - preferably with notes!

My favorites
Suburbia - The most satisfying of their early vids. It was virtually a tie between this and Paninaro.
Being Boring - I really love the three Bruce Weber videos. I keep hoping for a fourth.
Jealousy - Sex and violence! And Neil and Chris in typical melancholy observers mode.
New York City Boy - I tend to like the fast-paced and zany vids.
Flamboyant - This is another example of that style.
runners-up: Paninaro, What Have I Done to Deserve This, Heart, all of the VERY vids.

My least favorite
Left to My Own Devices - A superb single. So why the dull video?
Where the Streets/Can't Take My Eyes... - Terribly harsh-looking visual concept, lots of leering at the camera. Ugh.
Home and Dry - I kind of growing fond of this one, but really? Footage of tiny mice that is so boring that the director had to toss a biscuit at them?
Numb - Not to my taste.
Winner - People TALKING over the song? Heresy! Also it all looks so cheap and amateur.
runners-up: Did You See Me Coming, It's Alright (cute, but too static), Before (rather plods along; nevertheless, I happen to think this track makes for a terrific single).

retrofuturist

Re: 5 favorite/least favorite PSB videos

#2 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Favourites
----------
Can You Forgive Her? - favourite by a long way, an other-worldly vid for an other-worldly song
Go West - captures the anthemic feel of the song
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing - 60s pop meets N&C fighting video-game style
Love Etc. - more of a video game theme - a good complement to the song
So Hard (Extended Version) - captures the essence of the song well

Least Favourite
---------------
Winner - talking over the song, unattractive lead actor
Somewhere - boring, too pretentious
Home And Dry - boring, too pretentious
A Red Letter Day - boring, too pretentious
Paninaro 95 - too much homo-erotic dancing for my liking

Retro. :)

Palpatine

#3 Post by Palpatine »

Hello.

Favourites:
Always on my mind
Domino dancing
Being boring
Liberation
Miracles

Least favourites:
Left to my own devices
I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing
A red letter day
New York City boy
Home and dry

With I'm with stupid, Did you see me coming? and Together close behind.

GalataPSB

#4 Post by GalataPSB »

Favourites

Flamboyant - Funny
Yesterday, when I was mad - Fantastic
Suburbia - Classic
I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more - Quality
Integral - Art

My least favorite

Winner - I expected a video about Olympics not Transgenders..It's too cheap/boring. and it's a very big mistake.
New York city boy - I don't like some scenes/actors/ costumes in the video.
I get A Long - I didn't like some scenes
All over the world - I like the song. But The clip is crap!
Home and Dry - Boring

Mark R.Y.

#5 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Thank you for the responses. I wonder if I'm the only one who likes the A Red Letter Day vid. Even Neil and Chris are unimpressed with it in their commentary on the PopArt DVD. Maybe because I like to look at faces I find it to be an enjoyable video. It can be seen as pretentious, yes. But I see it as amusing as well.

Deschanel

#6 Post by Deschanel »

As always, subject to change, no particular order.

Faves:

West End Girls- the Ur-text. It's great just for that.
Miracles/Flamboyant - (tie; ravishing beauty in scenes and good-natured internationalism, repectively)
I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more - cool costumes and transformation, retro Kubrick and Lucas THX references
Always on My Mind- love the image of PSB speeding along in a black cab to the propulsiveness of song, and all the daffy disjointed scenes from that terrible movie.
Domino Dancing- not because of the notorious "homoeroticism". More for the beautiful cinematography and Latin mood and atmosphere, it's a gorgeous video.

(runners-up: Rent, Love comes quickly, Opportunities1, Suburbia, Jealousy, Minimal, So Hard. So hard to choose!)

Anti-Faves:

Home And Dry- vermin shot on video. Ugh, no, truly hate it.
I'm With Stupid- no matter how talented those Little Britain guys are, I can't stand looking at their effing goofy faces as they stretch the slight joke to four minutes.
Red Letter Day- love the song, hate the video. As dreary as the brutalist architecture, lyric literalism at its worst, Neil's teeth look green.
Before- A blurry bore. (Interesting though: one of their first videos to come on CD with the single, anyone remember Macromedia Director? They didn't lock it down, so you could open the video presentation of "Before" in Director and see how it was made, reverse engineer it, tamper with it. It was educational, anyway.)

There's a lot of videos that aren't "bad" per se, just very dated-looking. But when they were new, they were fun and interesting and of their time.

Ps: Is it now a feature that if I spell out the letters "eye-dee-kay" it fills in the full title of the first single from Nightlife? It's what I'm seeing in preview; kind of cool!
Last edited by Deschanel on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deschanel

#7 Post by Deschanel »

(Double post, please forgive.)
Last edited by Deschanel on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palpatine

#8 Post by Palpatine »

Domino dancing and Being Boring are tied for their best videos ever, IMHO.

Left to my own devices has to be one of their worst. It's such a classic, beautiful and amazing song and the video is a boring, underlit mess. Watching paint dry would be more interesting.

York Minster

#9 Post by York Minster »

Red Letter Day is an amazing video. I once showed it to my brother with the caveat that "Pet Shop Boys fans and PSB themselves don't like it". He also couldn't understand why.

Favorites: Most Very era videos. Can You Forgive Her? being the ultimate expression of that amazing aesthetic. Don't Know What You Want also had an amazing aesthetic, but when I actually sit and watch it now, it's a bit too slow paced and boring. Being Boring of course. I Get Along sits somewhere between brilliant and reductionistic to earlier videos.

Many early videos are bad or unwatchable, or unintentionally funny: Opportunities later version is awful. Left to my own devices, good lord it's the pits. But it's funny. Since it's funny, and therefore not boring, it can't be the worst. West End girls the video can't compete with the parody Boys Without Girls song that came out a year ago. It's better than almost any PSB video really. Miracles isn't awful, but a big disappointment from Greenhalugh after the Very videos. I'd vote Drunk one of their most boring videos. Can't deal with the dude in Paninaro '95.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Oznerol

#10 Post by Oznerol »

I think that if we ask every fan to give their opinion here, we´ll end up with every PSB video ever released in both lists... (maybe with just two or three exceptions, I want to believe...)
It seems that the visual taste has really nothing to do with the musical affinity between us! :P
This is not my signature.

panda magic

#11 Post by panda magic »

5 favorites:

"how can you expect to be taken seriously?" - absolutely superb, especially the editing. there are so many good little moments in this, like the red-to-green-to-red-sunglasses at 0:25, neil pushing away the girls before he sings, and chris's swaying toque head at the "last supper"-esque press conference. clean, precise, bold & smart.
"DJ culture" - a real tour-de-force, this one. one of the few that can be legitimately called "brilliant." the choreography shot from below is especially ingenious. and neil in shorts!
"being boring" - absolutely one of the most perfect unions of song and image.
"can you forgive her?" - to me this is the only howard greenhalgh video that really works (although, unlike a lot of you here, i LOVE paninaro '95.) all the rest, especially "i wouldn't normally" and "go west," seem tacky, garish and (by now) dated. "can you forgive her," however, is still the giant slab of genius it was in 1993.
"what have i done to deserve this?" - i just watched this the other day again and was struck with how deceptively perfect it is. the image quality reminds me of what i love about certain british films made around the same time. also - dusty's close-ups are amazing, and chris does a single-axel spin/leap!

5 least favorites:
"new york city boy" - just appalling. embarrassing, dumbed-down, and over-literalised, it's the exact opposite of everything the PSB should represent. reaches a pinnacle of awfulness at 2:45 with neil's awkward over-emoting.
"home & dry" - disclaimer: i'm a big wolfgang tillmans fan but i just don't think this works at all, neither as "music video" nor "video art." pity since the song is lovely.
"together" - essentially this is a well-made video but i really hate what it represents - "lets fill our videos full of sexy young people dancing meanwhile we make mere cameo appearances lurking barely visible in the background lest anyone figures out that we're quite old now."
"liberation" - in theory i have nothing against entirely computer generated videos but, given that "liberation" is a little twee, i wish the video would have counter-balanced this by being a bit more substantial. just imagine how lovely this would have been with a live action video! as it is the music and image seem entirely disconnected.
"leaving" - to me this seems like the "we don't really care about videos anymore" video, and so even though it technically is nice looking in some ways, it's still deeply depressing. a single this good deserves more of an effort.
Last edited by panda magic on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very

#12 Post by Very »

Probably the ones from the Very era are the best PSB videos.

and just to name a few great ones:

Go West
Can you forgive her?
Liberation
Yesterday when I was mad
I don't know what you want...
Se a vida e

The weakest is Winner by far.
Madrid / Bucharest 2007

BrilliantPSB

#13 Post by BrilliantPSB »

My favorites
Can You Forgive Her ?
Suburbia
Being Boring
Heart
It's a sin

My least favorite
Left to My Own Devices
Before
Home and Dry
Winner
Leaving
New York city boy
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

Candyland Joe

#14 Post by Candyland Joe »

Talking over the song = abysmal music video

Thank god it's not the late 90s/early 00s and no one does this crap any more

Naughty Zoot

#15 Post by Naughty Zoot »

I'm feeling a bit contrary tonight but in a positive way so I've chosen my Top 10 Faves.
Hey ~ Se a vida é.
So my Bottom 5 ( or 10 ) will have to arrive another time.
In no particular order:

West End girls
Heart
What have I done to deserve this
Always on my mind
Go west
Can you forgive her?
I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing
Yesterday when I was mad
Miracles
You only tell me you love me when you're drunk
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...