Chris or Neil's Net Worth?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
CBA

Re: Chris or Neil's Net Worth?

#31 Post by CBA »

Flaffer wrote:
Disco. wrote:
Flaffer wrote:They did an interview in Smash Hits, around the time of
Can you forgive her?, where they said they were only in the 1-2million category.
Property aside I don't think they are that amazingly well off
It was prior to the release of Discography.
I'm sure it wasn't. I shall attempt to raid the archive tomorrow.
I believe you're correct, Flaffer. It was mentioned in this article (unfortunately, the relevant page isn't shown):

http://hisheadsocool.tumblr.com/post/54 ... -9-22-1993

Flaffer

#32 Post by Flaffer »

thats the one, cheers. I think the comment came about after they were asked about if they'd made enough money to live off and they said something like 'its okay if you've made millions and millions but all you need to do is invest it in album and tour that doesn't sell and thats it its all gone (they may have a reference to Bros )
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Flaffer

#33 Post by Flaffer »

on this subject there was also an interview with Neil where he said in theory they've sold however millon albums where their cut is £1 as songwriters and £1 as performers so they should be worth so many millions, and then he said where has the money gone, were only worth a couple of million. What people should remember is that they often spent a lot of money recording b-sides in expensive studios and making expensive videos, costs that wouldn't be recovered by single sales. I'm sure they aren't in the slightest bit stupid financially as regards the PSB business but neither are they Bono
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Disco.

#34 Post by Disco. »

Flaffer wrote:thats the one, cheers. I think the comment came about after they were asked about if they'd made enough money to live off and they said something like 'its okay if you've made millions and millions but all you need to do is invest it in album and tour that doesn't sell and thats it its all gone (they may have a reference to Bros )
They said the same in a interview in Smash Hits in 1991 prior to the release of Discography.

jamie1978

#35 Post by jamie1978 »

It's fairly easy to work out where all the money went;

- They lost 500k on Performance
- They lost 250k on Savoy shows
- They lost 750k on Nightlife tour
- Bilingual cost a fortune to record
- Nightlife cost a fortune to record

They basically blew their 1985-1993 earnings by losing money recording expensive albums and loss-making tours. They're financially better off now though thanks to touring in the 00's.

Indeed, you can see PSB partnership accounts and they paid themselves £300k each in 2002 (as an example). Quite a lot of money, but not loads (200k after tax) considering their expensive lifestyles.

PSBForTheMasses

#36 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

This is from Popjustice interview. I assume everyone knows about it but it gives a vague opinion about how things will be from now on:

"You’ve got your own new label, x2, through Kobalt. How does it work?

With this model, Kobalt don’t pay you an advance. And an advance is sort of the ‘point’ of a traditional record label: they give you an advance, you make a record then they own the copyright, rather bizarrely. Which I’m amazed nobody’s challenged yet. Anyway, with Kobalt they don’t pay you an advance so in a sense you ‘invest’ your recording into the project, then they do marketing and distribution and manufacturing, and then you get a vastly higher payoff. Vastly higher. Assuming it sells. And it feels like a partnership, not like you’re working for someone. Actually, to be honest, with EMI it always felt like a partnership anyway."

Source: http://www.popjustice.com/interviewsand ... z2ZsktpXaE
Follow us: @Popjustice on Twitter | popjustice on Facebook

PSBForTheMasses

#37 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Is this a sham?

"Neil Tennant holds 6 current appointment, has resigned from 2 companies and held appointments at 7 dissolved companies. Neil began their first appointment at the age of 34 and their longest current appointment spans 21 years and 11 months at CAGE MUSIC LIMITED.

The combined cash at bank value for all of Neil's current businesses is £1,913,531, with a combined assets value of £3,766,803 and liabilities of £3,033,018. Roles associated with Neil Tennant within the recorded businesses include: Director, Llp Designated Member, Company Secretary"

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/904867265

fredrik11918

#38 Post by fredrik11918 »

These days almost all money comes from touring for an artist. I read that swedish peace & love festival paid rihanna 9 million gbp for one show. Biggest swedish artist name hakan hellstrom got 4,5 million gbp for one show. Of course psb get nothing like that kind of money but still give you some kind of idea what kind of money we talk about for a show.

Personally i hope they are well off but not crazy rich to keep them motivated also financially to carry on.

fredrik11918

#39 Post by fredrik11918 »

Sorry, of course 900 000 gbp for rihanna and 450 000 gbp for hakan hellstrom. I mixed it up with swedish money.

tiki

#40 Post by tiki »

When I met them backstage in San Francisco during the Performance Tour, Chris commented several times that they were losing money on the tour.

Disco.

#41 Post by Disco. »

fredrik11918 wrote:These days almost all money comes from touring for an artist. I read that swedish peace & love festival paid rihanna 9 million gbp for one show. Biggest swedish artist name hakan hellstrom got 4,5 million gbp for one show. Of course psb get nothing like that kind of money but still give you some kind of idea what kind of money we talk about for a show.

Personally i hope they are well off but not crazy rich to keep them motivated also financially to carry on.
No, but he only "gets" money from Sweden, they get it from all over the world 8)
Last edited by Disco. on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disco.

#42 Post by Disco. »

tiki wrote:When I met them backstage in San Francisco during the Performance Tour, Chris commented several times that they were losing money on the tour.
They lost almost £ 750,000 on the Performance Tour, it was a very expensive production.

symco

#43 Post by symco »

they must have a fair bit of money to be able to keep going and set up x2 on their own. plus they have to pay to make their own albums now don't they? that can't be cheap paying for producers up front

Disco.

#44 Post by Disco. »

symco wrote:they must have a fair bit of money to be able to keep going and set up x2 on their own. plus they have to pay to make their own albums now don't they? that can't be cheap paying for producers up front
I think that they have plenty of money.

jamie1978

#45 Post by jamie1978 »

yes, these days they have plenty of money

the Take That stadium tour netted them £2m+ alone