Revisiting "Results"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
fairlight

Revisiting "Results"

#1 Post by fairlight » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

Just thought I’d emerge to say I’m loving “Results” again.

In many ways I think it’s the great imperial album ( I’m gonna get slaughtered for that) – with the contributions of the likes of Danny Cummings on percussion, Courtney Pine on saxophone (who both featured on the 1989 tour, the first time many saw PSB in the flesh, and the late lamented JJ Belle with lovely guitar touches. The orchestral Rent and Tonight is forever provide a delicious backdrop to Lisa’s vocals - which although very showbiz - prove that great songs well sung, stand up to the rigours of time.

A full on sythn banger of Losing My Mind I feel got all the bombast out of the system before toning it down for Behaviour.

Really enjoying it again.

Wonder is anyone else is digging it out again

tottenhammattspurs

Re: Revisiting "Results"

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 10:30 am

Still listen to it regularly. It's one of their best LPs. If there was love, so sorry I said and I want you now are the real highlights of a forgotten album n
is is and isnt isnt

BimboDuncan

#3 Post by BimboDuncan » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

It's incredible. My favourite album of all time, including all PSB's albums. It's the most brilliant display of N&C's songwriting and production talents and their popular (as opposed to pop) music sensibility and knowledge.
We’re different from the others.
No one understands us here.
Imagine how free we will be,
If we disappear?

One of the crowd

#4 Post by One of the crowd » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Ive always wondered how it would sound if Neil sung instead of Liza.
One of the crowd has left the building

Franko74

#5 Post by Franko74 » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 12:52 pm

I love it and listen to it on a regular basis.

raggatwin

#6 Post by raggatwin » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

One of my favourites, top 3.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Ronald42

#7 Post by Ronald42 » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

A real gemm still love it
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Spittingcat

#8 Post by Spittingcat » Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:16 pm

Take half of Results, and half of the Dusty album, stick 'em together.... you get the best PSB album.

Deschanel

#9 Post by Deschanel » Sun 06 Oct 2013, 4:47 am

Angelo Badamalenti, the great conductor of film scores, giving Liza a full orchestral accompaniment on "Rent" and "Tonight Is Forever" still gives me chills, they still sound beautiful, they sound classic. "Results" has held up superbly well. PSB took Liza seriously at a time when she was considered old-fashioned and a camp joke, touring with Sinatra etc. The opposite of hip. But she was only 46 or so. And in the videos, she looks great. "Results" remains a seriously fine album. Lots of beautiful songs. And she herself has transcended being a joke, she's like a national treasure now in the US. ("Arrested Development", the tv show probably helped.)

(The queerest thing: there's a record shop in Greenwich Village, not far from where I lived, that specialized in Euro/UK imports. It's well-known, on Bedford St. perhaps? And in 1989 I bought the cassette of "Results" there. About fifteen years later, not being a cassette person anymore, I bought the "Results" CD. And the black, gay clerk complimented me on my choice, and said, "I remember when you bought this on cassette." Blew my mind, I could've dropped to the floor, that he remembered me. Maybe he was a PSB/Liza fan, maybe he fancied me when I was younger, but he remembered me, SO many years later. Not making this up. It still blows my mind to think that he remembered me, buying "Results", again, after so many years. True story.)

MikeyC

#10 Post by MikeyC » Sun 06 Oct 2013, 4:55 am

Deschanel wrote:Angelo Badamalenti, the great conductor of film scores, giving Liza a full orchestral accompaniment on "Rent" and "Tonight Is Forever" still gives me chills, they still sound beautiful, they sound classic. "Results" has held up superbly well. PSB took Liza seriously at a time when she was considered old-fashioned and a camp joke, touring with Sinatra etc. The opposite of hip. But she was only 46 or so. And in the videos, she looks great. "Results" remains a seriously fine album. Lots of beautiful songs. And she herself has transcended being a joke, she's like a national treasure now in the US. ("Arrested Development", the tv show probably helped.)

(The queerest thing: there's a record shop in Greenwich Village, not far from where I lived, that specialized in Euro/UK imports. It's well-known, on Bedford St. perhaps? And in 1989 I bought the cassette of "Results" there. About fifteen years later, not being a cassette person anymore, I bought the "Results" CD. And the black, gay clerk complimented me on my choice, and said, "I remember when you bought this on cassette." Blew my mind, I could've dropped to the floor, that he remembered me. Maybe he was a PSB/Liza fan, maybe he fancied me when I was younger, but he remembered me, SO many years later. Not making this up. It still blows my mind to think that he remembered me, buying "Results", again, after so many years. True story.)
Was it "Record Runner" on Jones Street? There was a black clerk there for many years, but he wasn't gay. And actually I just bumped into him at the PSB concert two weeks ago! 8)

Naughty Zoot

#11 Post by Naughty Zoot » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:02 am

A CD made in Heaven! 3 consummate artists @ the height of their skills. I listen to it regularly.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

Deschanel

#12 Post by Deschanel » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:22 am

MikeyC wrote:
Was it "Record Runner" on Jones Street? There was a black clerk there for many years, but he wasn't gay. And actually I just bumped into him at the PSB concert two weeks ago!)

THAT'S HIM! Oh that is so funny, Mikey. I just assumed he was gay because he liked PSB and the Liza album. Yup, that's the store, that's the guy, I am certain. OH how funny. Give him my best regards, lol! He really did (does?) work there for a long, long time. How great. :)
Small world!

MikeyC

#13 Post by MikeyC » Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:04 am

Deschanel wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Was it "Record Runner" on Jones Street? There was a black clerk there for many years, but he wasn't gay. And actually I just bumped into him at the PSB concert two weeks ago!)

THAT'S HIM! Oh that is so funny, Mikey. I just assumed he was gay because he liked PSB and the Liza album. Yup, that's the store, that's the guy, I am certain. OH how funny. Give him my best regards, lol! He really did (does?) work there for a long, long time. How great. :)
Small world!
Yes, it's a very small world! And he sure did work there for a long time!

BugBoy

#14 Post by BugBoy » Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

A beautiful 'lush' album, so much depth both sonically and lyrically. Walked around town yesterday with it on repeat on my Ipod yesterday just to remind myself.

I love that feeling you get when you remind yourself how good an old album is, get the same feeling everytime I listen to Actually, the first album (by any artist) I bought. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when the opening piano sound of One More Chance starts, love it.
I Like Release!

retrofuturist

#15 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 6:28 am

So Sorry, I Said is magnificent and Liza's cover of Losing My Mind is good too (though I prefer the PSB version that surfaced as the b-side to Jealousy).

As a full album though, I can't say I ever really warmed to it.