Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MD

Re: 2017: "New Batch" of reissued & remastered albums w/ Further Listening albums

#226 Post by MD »

DJAMIX wrote:They could make a 3xCD set:
1. Album
2. Further Listening
3. 2016 Remixes from some albuns tracks or B-sides (of course it would demand a higher investment)
If we get PSBs remixes for 2017 I say ok. If the latest hot shot remixers I say f*** it,. a waste of money. Give us PSBs demos and mixes.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Rorie

Re: 2017: "New Batch" of reissued & remastered albums w/ Further Listening albums

#227 Post by Rorie »

Most of these were issued on EMI Parophone so I am not sure how they co-ordinate it all.

I think the reissues that were done under Parlophone have to be issued under Parlophone as the PSB released them under exclusive license to EMI.

Electric and on they can do what they want.

I really thought we'd have seen a 30th anniversary edition of Please and we did not. So I don't expect any FL and reissues on anything done in the 2001 reissue batch. I think it is Nightlife and on....

Bulldog

#228 Post by Bulldog »

Regarding 2001 FLs they could re-release the 1-cd editions that came out at some point, and then put the 2-cd versions in the box set.

Danger

#229 Post by Danger »

psbfannyc wrote:Notice how they didn't discuss a 4th single from "Super". Time to move on from "Super" I suppose...
Hopefully

psbfannyc

#230 Post by psbfannyc »

Danger wrote:
psbfannyc wrote:Notice how they didn't discuss a 4th single from "Super". Time to move on from "Super" I suppose...
Hopefully
I just find it strange they wouldn't have had released "Burn" as a single. It certainly went off well at all the German 2016 "Super Tour" dates I went to...

Danger

#231 Post by Danger »

psbfannyc wrote:I just find it strange they wouldn't have had released "Burn" as a single. It certainly went off well at all the German 2016 "Super Tour" dates I went to...
It's sad for me that Burn is not been choose as single but it had to be the #1 or #2 single not the almost ignored 4th single of an album less successfully and interesting than the previous one. Tome to close this chapter.

Drem

#232 Post by Drem »

DJAMIX wrote:They could make a 3xCD set:
1. Album
2. Further Listening
3. 2016 Remixes from some albuns tracks or B-sides (of course it would demand a higher investment)
I'd prefer "Album/Further listening (demos, remixes & outtakes)/Live tracks" scheme. But then there will be a problem what to put on "live" CD of "Yes"?

There still a possibility/opportunity for "Burn" for being released as single. Let's say if Neil & Chris would release another installment in "Disco" series with updated/extended mix of "Burn", or somewhat updated version of "Super" (like they did with "Bilingual" twenty years ago), or just few songs EP to coincide with Teenage Cancer Trust gig (especially if they will bring more guitar parts for Johnny). Or new non-album single for TCT gig (in form of EP or double A-side single - I'd like to see "Getting away with it"/"Burn" combo).
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Pod

#233 Post by Pod »

It's not implausible they would release something for Record Store Day on 22nd April...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Nervously

#234 Post by Nervously »

blureu wrote:For someone (me) who didn't purchase any of the previous Further Listening reissues which would you say are "essential"?

Thanks.
Drico One wrote:All of them.

Drico.
I don't see it that way, if you already have the albums and the b-side collections (or the b-sides on the original singles). The only one of the further listenings I have is "Bilingual" and I consider it to have been made redundant by "Format".
Not to say I won't be interested in individual downloads of any songs (not including remixes) that I don't already have.

rashomon

#235 Post by rashomon »

I'm not sure why but I opted to skip the initial FL series ...

I'd be certainly picking them up this time round but only if it is from Please onwards ... but ideally, I'd like to wait and just re-mortgage on a FL boxed set instead.

Let's see what unfolds!

Roll on 2017
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

leesmapman

#236 Post by leesmapman »

The extra CD is good, but the accompanied booklet goes into detail on how the album was conceived. Good reading material!

rashomon

#237 Post by rashomon »

leesmapman wrote:The extra CD is good, but the accompanied booklet goes into detail on how the album was conceived. Good reading material!
As I age, my eyesight deteriorates and CD booklets are too hard to read.

It would be a smart move for these liner notes to be compiled into a proper book and have that thrown in as a part of any box set. A nice weighty tome it would be to cover 13 albums, 40 plus singles, numerous b-sides and curios!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Bulldog

#238 Post by Bulldog »

rashomon wrote:
leesmapman wrote:The extra CD is good, but the accompanied booklet goes into detail on how the album was conceived. Good reading material!
As I age, my eyesight deteriorates and CD booklets are too hard to read.

It would be a smart move for these liner notes to be compiled into a proper book and have that thrown in as a part of any box set. A nice weighty tome it would be to cover 13 albums, 40 plus singles, numerous b-sides and curios!
But is there something remotely interesting left to tell about West End girls or the other imperial singles and albums? The first part of their career has been covered to death with Discography, Alternative & FL booklets, along with Catalogue and A life in pop, whereas the albums from Release onwards have never really been revisited in depth, even in interviews (Format being the partial exception, though the booklet feels a lot more succint than the Alternative one).
Also, if they released a new GH along with the new Fls it should focus on their later years: I know their early songs are an obvious selling point but they kept a reasonably high profile since Miracles and a 2006-onwards (or 2009-onwards) compilation could stand very well on its own legs, couldn't it?

Drico One

#239 Post by Drico One »

Any new "late career" singles compilation would probably just take up the story from the last singles compilation in 2010. So, from Elysium onwards. With no hits, it would have little traction. In my view, they only ever got the concept of a singles compilation right once: for Discography. PopArt messed needlessly with the chronology - to mask the lack of post-1993 hits - while Ultimate got the chronology right and messed up the tracklisting, fatally flawed as it was by the simple fact that one disc doesn't quite do Pet Shop Boys justice. Any singles collection missing Love Comes Quickly, Opportunities, Rent, So Hard, Can You Forgive Her?, and Drunk is holed underneath the waterline.

I wonder if they ever considered releasing, say, three volumes of singles at the same time? For example, release three separate CDs or volumes, each one containing around 16 tracks. I think they've had about 50 singles, so whatever a reasonably equitable distribution of tracks - in chronological order - across three simultaneous releases would be. Call the collection Singularly, and each disc would come with that prefix followed by "Volume 1/2/3". The Singularly title would be an in-joke on the fact that, strictly speaking, they are breaking their "one word titles" convention, but collectively maintaining it. Nothing like a bit of PSB ambiguity...

The first volume would have everything up to, say, Jealousy, and would have almost all of their biggest hits. This would be the biggest seller as a result. The second volume would start with DJ Culture, have Go West, and run up to I Get Along or so. The final volume would take us up to today, featuring Miracles, I'm With Stupid, Love etc and Leaving.

Obviously, the very definition of "single" would need to be defined, but 16-18 tracks per volume would surely cover the catalogue adequately.

Not going to happen, of course, but I really don't think a single hits record does them justice. Otherwise, just release the first 16 tracks off Discography and tack on the first two Very singles. They were finished commercially in genuine hit terms after that.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Patrick Bateman

#240 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Let's just hope that their intern is rather more punctilious than Parlophone's one.