Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
JSDOUVRES

Re: Reissues project

#2131 Post by JSDOUVRES »

I'd like to see similar boxsets to Erasure (with better artwork though) which were card sleeves in a cardboard box and included all the originally released vinyl only limited edition remixes.
Something else I'd like to point out too is that I am absolutely positive that if they did release them they would sell incredibly well as long as they were fairly priced. I'm thinking around £20-£25 maximum (£4-£5 a disk). I'd be happy to pay that as long as they included all the mixes with the ones being of most interest the vinyl only and promo only ones of course.
A little example of what the tracklistings could be of a 5 CD Boxset (Parlophone records and EMI America record label versions only):

CD 1 West End Girls
1. West End Girls - 7" Mix
2. A Man Could Get Arrested - 7" Mix
3. West End Girls - Dance Mix
4. A Man Could Get Arrested - (Alternative Mix from 12")
5. West End Girls - Shep Pettibone Mastermix (12" Single Version)
6. West End Dub
7. West End Girls - 10" Mix

CD 2 Opportunities
1. Opportunities - 7" Mix
2. Was That What It Was
3. Opportunities - Shep Pettibone Mastermix
4. Opportunities - Reprise
5. Opportunities - Original Dance Mix
6. Opportunities - Version Latina
7. Opportunities - Dub For Money
8. In The Night

CD 3 Love Comes Quickly
1. Love Comes Quickly - 7" Mix
2. That's My Impression - 7" Mix
3. Love Comes Quickly - Dance Mix
4. That's My Impression - Disco Mix
5. Love Comes Quickly - Shep Pettibone Mastermix
6. Love Comes Quickly - Dub Mix

CD 4 Suburbia
1. Suburbia - 7" Mix
2. Paninaro
3. Jack The Lad
4. Suburbia - The Full Horror
5. Suburbia - Part Two
6. Paninaro - Italian Remix
7. Paninaro - Ian Levine Mix
8. Suburbia - Arthur Baker Club Vocal
9. Suburbia - Arthur Baker Dub

CD 5 It's A Sin
1. It's A Sin - 7" Mix
2. You Know Where You Went Wrong - 7" Mix
3. It's A Sin - Disco Mix
4. It's A Sin - Remix
5. You Know Where You Went Wrong - Rough Mix
6. It's A Sin - Phil Harding Latin Vocal Mix
7. It's A Sin - Phil Harding Latin Dub Mix

Could add the rare unreleased mixes too to each disk or have the 5th CD as a rarities one including various edits and rejected versions ie In The Night - Arthur Baker Dub or Opportunities - Version Latina 7" edit (many more exist).

Just an idea and wishful thinking maybe but I'd certainly buy and would be incredibly happy if it was as above!

Patrick Bateman

#2132 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Wouldn't they just screw up the track listing though?

JSDOUVRES

#2133 Post by JSDOUVRES »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:26 pm Wouldn't they just screw up the track listing though?
That's the worry. They will probably just end up putting the regular mixes we already have on CD on them which would be a shame. I imagine that some of the old stuff might need a bit of mastering too (not that that should be too difficult) but I see no reason why they can't get this done.

I wonder if they even have all the unreleased mixes (the leaked ones by Arthur Baker of In The Night and Paninaro ones by Ian Levine for example) at hand or whether they are deeply hidden away somewhere? Who Knows?

Maybe us fans should have a bit more of a say, Soft Cell actually put out a call to their fans for rare and unreleased early material and I gather the response was pretty good! I like what they are doing with the plan for the upcoming compilation and will certainly be buying that! Let's hope PSB listen to us too but I doubt they do, I suppose the questions we send in help a bit but I'm not sure how much they are influenced personally.

Greendrake

#2134 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

octoberwind

Re: RE: Re: Reissues project

#2135 Post by octoberwind »

daveid wrote:I wonder if anyone asked about whether they'd do FLs of the x2 albums one day?
I did

Enviado desde mi SM-G570M mediante Tapatalk

OW~

BlackPanther

#2136 Post by BlackPanther »

Challenge: for some singles not all mixes and b-sides will fit on just one CD. Example:

I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (7" version) 4:45
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Beatmasters Radio Edit) 4:01
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (EU 7" version = album version) 3:04
Too Many People 4:19
Violence (Hacienda Version) 4:58
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Extended Nude Mix) 7:49
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Grandballroom Mix = Grandballroom Dub) 6:38
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (DJ Pierre Wild Pitch Mix) 8:25
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (DJ Pierre Wild Tribal Beats) 3:48
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (DJ Pierre Club Mix) 7:07
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (DJ Pierre Wild Pitch Dub) 7:46
West End Girls (Sasha Remix) 7:48
West End Girls (Sasha Dub) 8:17
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Voxigen Mix) 6:21

If I counted correctly this adds up to 85:11. And these are just the ones we know exist.

I do hope BTW that if a single box set of some sort is released that they will at least include the instrumental version of each single as a bonus.

negative1

#2137 Post by negative1 »

i posted a much more comprehensive list for please here:
-----------------
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31104&start=15#p564388

i've got separate listing for all their singles up to very done like these.

later

Parkol

#2138 Post by Parkol »

I hope they will release Very/Relentless on vinyl.

TwizzleUK

#2139 Post by TwizzleUK »

Greendrake wrote: Fri 26 Jan 2018, 1:22 am
JSDOUVRES wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:30 pm I imagine that some of the old stuff might need a bit of mastering too (not that that should be too difficult) but I see no reason why they can't get this done.
Mastering remixes made by others might be a challenge as the individual stems might not be accessible. For example, do they have the female voice stems from It's a sin Phil Harding remixes?
Of course they could just fallback to cleaning/equalizing whatever best sources they have. Wondering if this is what was done to the Mix CD (third CD from PopArt limited edition)?
Remastering for releases such as this is only ever done using the two channel (left + right) master tapes containing the final mixdown of the tracks. PSB or Parlophone are bound to have these safely stored in 'the vault' somewhere for all their tracks and remixes (by themselves and other artists). The multitrack 'stems' wouldn't be needed, as no adjusting of levels or re-remixing of individual parts needs to take place. As far as I'm aware, no remasters have ever gone back to the original mutitrack parts (apart from those for 5.1 surround sound versions).
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#2140 Post by TwizzleUK »

JSDOUVRES wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:30 pm I wonder if they even have all the unreleased mixes (the leaked ones by Arthur Baker of In The Night and Paninaro ones by Ian Levine for example) at hand or whether they are deeply hidden away somewhere?
Ian Levine Remix of 'Paninaro' recently appeared on '12 Inch Dance: Indie', here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... s_sp_ps_dp. Were there any other unreleased version made by him?

fac23

#2141 Post by fac23 »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:05 am The multitrack 'stems' wouldn't be needed, as no adjusting of levels or re-remixing of individual parts needs to take place. As far as I'm aware, no remasters have ever gone back to the original mutitrack parts (apart from those for 5.1 surround sound versions).
Indeed. There are quite a few instances of 60s/early 70s music where new stereo mix are created from the multi tracks, but other than that remastering rarely goes further back than the original stereo masters. Would love to hear the PSB in 5.1... Very with its dense soundscape could sound amazing. Actually and Fundamental as well. Is anyone else here interested in 5.1 surround music?

Tom Angel

#2142 Post by Tom Angel »

This is my idea of hell - bar the 7" , Too Many People and the West End girls sasha mixed

I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Grandballroom Mix = Grandballroom Dub) 6:38
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Neilatrone

#2143 Post by Neilatrone »

Tom Angel wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 3:32 pm This is my idea of hell - bar the 7" , Too Many People and the West End girls sasha mixed

Not as bad as a cd with all of the winner versions on it!

Jack Acksadapo

#2144 Post by Jack Acksadapo »

BlackPanther wrote: Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:46 am If I counted correctly this adds up to 85:11. And these are just the ones we know exist.
I think many singles from Seriously/Where The Streets will need some editorial decisions, you're right that everything will not fit on 1 CD.

In the example you mention, we could probably do without the album version, and the Beatmasters promo-only radio edit. Or maybe the Voxigen mix could be moved to another (later) single, as I believe it was released much later.

Jack Acksadapo

#2145 Post by Jack Acksadapo »

...but one thing I would really like to see on there, would be the unreleased Violence 12" club mix. That's a brilliant version, a shame it never ended up on Further Listening. Maybe it could even be a bonus track on a Relentless reissue of some sort.