Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: Reissues project

#2161 Post by Pod »

BlackPanther wrote: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm
BlackPanther wrote: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 2:15 pm It was released on the second CD-single in continental Europe a few months after the single release
Small correction: it was the third EU CD-single. The 2nd being "The DJ Pierre Remixes". The Voxigen Mix was also released on an Italian 12", both releases from approx. February 1994.
Just dug mine out - listening to it now. Haven’t played it since 1999ish.
Attachments
3BDEC719-9E2B-4BE9-83B3-EF180DC0D686.jpeg
3BDEC719-9E2B-4BE9-83B3-EF180DC0D686.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 5967 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Xakrij

#2162 Post by Xakrij »

My original issue is the white vinyl
Release_White_Vinyl.jpg
Release_White_Vinyl.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

synthpopfan

#2163 Post by synthpopfan »

Xakrij wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:09 pm My original issue is the white vinyl
Release_White_Vinyl.jpg
As is mine! I've kept it in mint condition when I bought it on... ahem, release. Not one needle drop ever! It is truly a thing of beauty.

D.J.

#2164 Post by D.J. »

Sorry, if you've already discussed it, but I'm curious about the mastering of Yes FL album on the CD. Is it better than it was on the original CD? I didn't like original Yes CD mastering. It was way too compressed.
Thanks!

BlackPanther

#2165 Post by BlackPanther »

Not too enthousiastic about the remastering of Release. Now I currently can't listen on hi-q components, but through my headphones the only real difference can be heard on The Samurai in Autumn which sounds better than on the original release. For the rest not much difference. Many tracks sound as if they could have been improved a lot, but haven't been touched at all. Like love is a catastrophe. Here even sounds better on the original to me.

Ramzy

#2166 Post by Ramzy »

D.J. wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm Sorry, if you've already discussed it, but I'm curious about the mastering of Yes FL album on the CD. Is it better than it was on the original CD? I didn't like original Yes CD mastering. It was way too compressed.
Thanks!
Yes, it is a bit better. Still not exactly audiophile but the dynamic range is slightly greater for most of the songs. The real revelation for me is the remastered LP which trounces the original vinyl (too muddy) and both CDs (too compressed, though as I say the new one is better).

A little more track by track detail here though how much if this is perceivable is moot: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list? ... &album=Yes
I must disengage your recreational music.

D.J.

#2167 Post by D.J. »

Ramzy wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:06 am
D.J. wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm Sorry, if you've already discussed it, but I'm curious about the mastering of Yes FL album on the CD. Is it better than it was on the original CD? I didn't like original Yes CD mastering. It was way too compressed.
Thanks!
Yes, it is a bit better. Still not exactly audiophile but the dynamic range is slightly greater for most of the songs. The real revelation for me is the remastered LP which trounces the original vinyl (too muddy) and both CDs (too compressed, though as I say the new one is better).

A little more track by track detail here though how much if this is perceivable is moot: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list? ... &album=Yes
Thanks Ramzy! :D I completely forgot about that great loudness war reference website!

TwizzleUK

#2168 Post by TwizzleUK »

Yes remaster is ruined for me by having a different version of Love Etc to the original album (beat doesn't drop out in 2nd chorus), so it's the original album everytime from now on. Same as the alternate version of I Want To Wake Up on Actually 2001 remaster with different vocal ad lib at end. Wonder if they'll fix that on the new re-remastered Actually?

I want like-for-like remasters, not erroneous ones with alternate mixdowns. Let's face it, last year's remasters hardly sound any different to the original releases - I bought them for the bonus CD tracks. It's Please through to Behaviour that really needed a bit of oomph added to the original CD editions, which they did fairly well in 2001 (apart from Behaviour lacking a bit of top-end).

BlackPanther

#2169 Post by BlackPanther »

TwizzleUK wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm Same as the alternate version of I Want To Wake Up on Actually 2001 remaster with different vocal ad lib at end.
Euh.. what?

Greendrake

#2170 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#2171 Post by TwizzleUK »

Greendrake wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:43 am
TwizzleUK wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm Yes remaster is ruined for me by having a different version of Love Etc to the original album (beat doesn't drop out in 2nd chorus), so it's the original album everytime from now on. Same as the alternate version of I Want To Wake Up on Actually 2001 remaster with different vocal ad lib at end. Wonder if they'll fix that on the new re-remastered Actually?

I want like-for-like remasters, not erroneous ones with alternate mixdowns.
How does that stand with:
TwizzleUK wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:05 am As far as I'm aware, no remasters have ever gone back to the original mutitrack parts (apart from those for 5.1 surround sound versions).
?
Alternate mixdowns made at the time the original album was first made - artists often make two or more final mixes of the same track, and decide which version to put on releases later. Not uncommon for the wrong mixdown to be used when old (two channel) master tapes are dug out for remastered editions years later. So not the same as going back to multitrack parts.

TwizzleUK

#2172 Post by TwizzleUK »

BlackPanther wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:01 am
TwizzleUK wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm Same as the alternate version of I Want To Wake Up on Actually 2001 remaster with different vocal ad lib at end.
Euh.. what?
See https://www.psb-catalogue.com/backcatpic.htm: "Neil's singing [ad lib] at 4:21 is different to the '87 version"

Greendrake

#2173 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#2174 Post by TwizzleUK »

Greendrake wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 8:31 am
TwizzleUK wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:25 am Alternate mixdowns made at the time the original album was first made - artists often make two or more final mixes of the same track, and decide which version to put on releases later. Not uncommon for the wrong mixdown to be used when old (two channel) master tapes are dug out for remastered editions years later. So not the same as going back to multitrack parts.
It's quite hard to believe there was an alternative mixdown of Don Juan (disco mix) with the extra bit around 04:52 that we hear on 2001 Introspective Further Listening — as compared to the original track from Domino dancing CD. Such a thing would be way more easily explained by a software glitch on re-rendering the track.
Guess we'll never know in the case of Don Juan, but it's unlikely to have been an accidental software glitch, as the extra brief beat is in time with the others (although it extends the 4/4 bar by an additional 8th note, making it jar slightly). I believe Actually and Yes errors to be a result of accidentally using alternate versions mixed down at the time of the original albums. Probably the most logical reason. And enough to irk me when hearing those versions!

tottenhammattspurs

#2175 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

More importantly, can anyone confirm if HMV are doing the album artwork giveaway with this set of remasters?
is is and isnt isnt