PSB DVD RIP?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

PSB DVD RIP?

#1 Post by daveid » Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

That's R.I.P. not rip btw

It's now 8 years since the last proper DVD release, and 5 since Pandemonium and Ultimate with their limited edition DVD discs. Is it the end? I must say I have been a bit disappointed by the complete lack of X2 product since Electric, but a DVD or two might have helped stave off the hunger...

joepsb

Re: PSB DVD RIP?

#2 Post by joepsb » Tue 01 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm

id rather have bluray.
while were on the subject of dvd etc, with Electric tour not getting dvd/bluray treatment, whats the best quality Electric show( full show) for audio and video online.
audio i have is very low

NikacP0kac

#3 Post by NikacP0kac » Tue 01 Sep 2015, 4:54 pm

Coachella or SkyLiveHD version recorded in Argentina?
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Palpatine

#4 Post by Palpatine » Tue 01 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm

DVD as a format is dead. Why bother?

TheGhostOfMyself

#5 Post by TheGhostOfMyself » Tue 01 Sep 2015, 10:24 pm

PSB's fan base like those for many other groups don't want to pay for music or content any more - the YouTube era expect it all for nothing. That's the "official" reason why there wasn't an Electric tour DVD.

DJ Pat

#6 Post by DJ Pat » Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:35 am

TheGhostOfMyself wrote:That's the "official" reason why there wasn't an Electric tour DVD.
I think the huge numbers who saw the Electric tour would total more than those who would buy a dvd of it.
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

NikacP0kac

#7 Post by NikacP0kac » Wed 02 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm

Still, it would be nice to have a professionally mixed audio track from one of the shows released. The updates of One More Chance and I'm Not Scared alone deserve it. I don't particularly like the sound mix on any of the streams online.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

TallThinMan

#8 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

Palpatine wrote:DVD as a format is dead. Why bother?
Not in my house it isn't.

Markpro

#9 Post by Markpro » Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

NikacP0kac wrote:Coachella or SkyLiveHD version recorded in Argentina?
yep, skylive is pretty good, i have a dvd of this gig and its pretty good, an official one would have been good though,the next bluray/dvd release will probably be It Couldn't Happen Here
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

bongsteve

#10 Post by bongsteve » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:49 am

I have Coachella, Miami and SkyLive downloaded and on the appletv...they all work just fine for me and as other have said, may be the reason why they don't release anything official.

Pod

#11 Post by Pod » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:38 am

Does seem a shame that they haven't released a dvd of the tour. Dvd 'extras' such as interviews and backstage footage etc are always interesting.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

nickname

#12 Post by nickname » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

Pod wrote:Does seem a shame that they haven't released a dvd of the tour. Dvd 'extras' such as interviews and backstage footage etc are always interesting.
I think there is not necessary. Everything is on YouTube. If you want "extras", this one is really good. I don't think we need more:

DJ Fairborne

#13 Post by DJ Fairborne » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

nickname wrote:I think there is not necessary. Everything is on YouTube.
The worry about relying on "YouTube" is that any video can be taken down in an instant, for a number of reasons. Also, a physical version (of a PSB concert) is nice to have, with the disc/box/cover etc & it looks nice on my shelf alongside the other PSB DVD's. :)

tottenhammattspurs

#14 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Palpatine wrote:DVD as a format is dead. Why bother?
Not in my house it isn't.
In your opinion it's dead. In my house it's not. Yes I've gravitated over to blu ray but I'll always take a physical copy over a download. DVDs still get sold in the tens of thousands. Obscure art house cinema gets dvd releases so there is still money in them. Even if they burned off 5000 copies and sold them through the website.....
is is and isnt isnt

Old Soak

#15 Post by Old Soak » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm

I'll always go for physical product, that's the joy of collecting. Not the instant gratification of downloading or even worse, streaming. It's like calling yourself a fan of a football team yet never setting foot in the ground.

Would love new DVD releases, and can't really believe the excitement of X2 being set up and anticipation of all manner of low volume releases on a frequent basis hasn't come to fruition. There should be at least:

A Disco style remix album
An Electric Tour DVD
The Turing Project

and the odd surprise single/EP to keep the interest. The lack of anything since Electric makes me dream of the heady Parlophone days... Artistic freedom not being taken advantage of.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing