The Super reaction thread!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
bongsteve

Re: The Super reaction thread!

#46 Post by bongsteve »

Danimal wrote:Is it just me, or does it look like the first strike of a one/two punch like Elysium and Electric:
25 songs and saving the pop ones for the next album
All electronic but we know Johnny Marr was scheduled to work with them with Pete Tweeting pictures of guitars in a studio
No tour this year with special shows, similar to the Elysium roll-out
Exactly, release 2 albums, one this year and perhaps the second late this year or early next year...and then tour all of 2017. Maybe Chris' joke about a Super Hits tour isn't that much of a joke.

Lleonard Pler

#47 Post by Lleonard Pler »

bongsteve wrote:Exactly, release 2 albums, one this year and perhaps the second late this year or early next year...and then tour all of 2017. Maybe Chris' joke about a Super Hits tour isn't that much of a joke.
Who knows, maybe the next album is called Hits (even if it consists of new songs) :dance:

tottenhammattspurs

#48 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Up to 54 on uk iTunes chart
is is and isnt isnt

Shopper

#49 Post by Shopper »

totally loving the song titles !! this is going to be a fab album..
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Markpro

#50 Post by Markpro »

Don't know if this has been posted or not

"In an interview with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe conducted by the duo’s publicist Murray Chalmers and posted on the What Is Super site, the two discuss writing Super in Berlin and recording it in Los Angeles with Stuart Price. “I was walking to the studio one day and I kept imagining Germans saying ‘super’, because they say ‘super’ in a certain way — ‘SUPER, JA!’ — and they say super a lot,” Lowe says in the interview, while discussing the album title. “And I just thought, ‘Oh, super!’ Because we’d been through a few titles, hadn’t we?”

While the pair began writing the bulk of the album in 2014, Lowe reveals that he began working on the music for single “The Pop Kids” while they were on tour with Take That in 2011.

“After the shows I quite often don’t want a drink or even to go to the hotel bar — so rather than go to the hotel bar for one last drink I would switch the gear on and have a little go at writing some songs, without any thought of what they would be used for,” Lowe says. “But as I was doing this one, I did think it was rather good — so when we started writing for the album in Berlin I dug it up.”

Tennant explains that, lyrically, “The Pop Kids” is “about a friend of mine who moved from Birmingham to go to Kings College in London to study History and he made friends with a girl there. They both loved pop music and they used to go clubbing all the time and because of that they were known as the pop kids.”

http://www.idolator.com/7620749/pet-sho ... tum-listen
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

vincenzosz

#51 Post by vincenzosz »

Ghost within this house wrote:
Danimal wrote:Is it just me, or does it look like the first strike of a one/two punch like Elysium and Electric:
25 songs and saving the pop ones for the next album
All electronic but we know Johnny Marr was scheduled to work with them with Pete Tweeting pictures of guitars in a studio
Yep... all that coy 'maybe on the next album' stuff in the interview definitely sounded familiar.... I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the third in the trilogy is already in the can. Didn't Neil say at some point they'd actually recorded 20-25 songs?
I hope you're right. I love the idea that they have all these pop songs waiting in the wings to record. I am happy with any new material they release but I love their pop music more than their dance music. Whenever they decide to release those pop songs I'll be happy, and if that's sooner than later - AND with Johnny Marr - I will be thrilled.

TheGhostOfMyself

#52 Post by TheGhostOfMyself »

Trying to work out where the next album will fit as I agree most of it is probably already recorded.

April 2016 - Super released - known
July 2016 - ROH shows - known

Late 2016 - Mini-tour of festivals and one-off shows - known
Summer 2017 - Possible Pop album release?
2017 - World tour - known- possibly for both albums?

TallThinMan

#53 Post by TallThinMan »

Markpro wrote:Don't know if this has been posted or not

"In an interview with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe conducted by the duo’s publicist Murray Chalmers and posted on the What Is Super site, the two discuss writing Super in Berlin and recording it in Los Angeles with Stuart Price. “I was walking to the studio one day and I kept imagining Germans saying ‘super’, because they say ‘super’ in a certain way — ‘SUPER, JA!’ — and they say super a lot,” Lowe says in the interview, while discussing the album title. “And I just thought, ‘Oh, super!’ Because we’d been through a few titles, hadn’t we?”

While the pair began writing the bulk of the album in 2014, Lowe reveals that he began working on the music for single “The Pop Kids” while they were on tour with Take That in 2011.

“After the shows I quite often don’t want a drink or even to go to the hotel bar — so rather than go to the hotel bar for one last drink I would switch the gear on and have a little go at writing some songs, without any thought of what they would be used for,” Lowe says. “But as I was doing this one, I did think it was rather good — so when we started writing for the album in Berlin I dug it up.”

Tennant explains that, lyrically, “The Pop Kids” is “about a friend of mine who moved from Birmingham to go to Kings College in London to study History and he made friends with a girl there. They both loved pop music and they used to go clubbing all the time and because of that they were known as the pop kids.”

http://www.idolator.com/7620749/pet-sho ... tum-listen
This is straight from the "Find out more about the album" PDF: http://smarturl.it/whatissuperbook

moxlox

#54 Post by moxlox »

OMG! Just seen all this! So unexpected! Cool! Excited!
Circuses and Bread

Hillbilly

#55 Post by Hillbilly »

In the interview Chris says that the inspiration behind the album title was the German expression "Super, ja"! Does that mean the title is supposed to be pronounced in German [zu:per] rather than British [sju:per] - or do you prefer it the American way [su:per]?

Pod

#56 Post by Pod »

Hillbilly wrote:In the interview Chris says that the inspiration behind the album title was the German expression "Super, ja"! Does that mean the title is supposed to be pronounced in German [zu:per] rather than British [sju:per] - or do you prefer it the American way [su:per]?
Ja could be the extended remix album! :lol:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Broooklyn

#57 Post by Broooklyn »

I am always excited for a new release. The teaser brings me back 17 years to Nightlife, which was an era I adored, and although I do not want another Nightlife, I still do not know what is coming from this album via Inner Sanctum. I have to hear the lead single first. Can't wait.

Actually

#58 Post by Actually »

Without sounding too greedy, do you think The Vinyl Factory will be getting involved with this Super campaign?
The colours are there....
I'm too weak to be strong