So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#1 Post by Nickname » Wed 11 May 2016, 12:06 pm

I don't know if you remember some "Super" albums had a sticker that said "Twenty something" was going to be the next single. As we can see, it's true.

According to the sticker, the next one (after "Twenty something") was going to be "Undertow" which I think is a really good track, my favourite to be honest, and well deserved.

No more singles are planned.

But I think PSB should give a chance for a fourth single because "Burn" is single worthy and I wouldn't understand this track wasn't a single.

daveid

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#2 Post by daveid » Wed 11 May 2016, 12:24 pm

How do you know no more singles are planned?

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname » Wed 11 May 2016, 2:28 pm

daveid wrote:How do you know no more singles are planned?
The sticker didn't say more about it. The last albums had the same number of singles and structure:

Elysium: "Invisible" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("Winner", "Leaving", "Memory of the future")

Electric: "Axis" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("Vocal", "Love is a bourgeois construct", "Thursday")

Super: "Inner sanctum" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("The pop kids", "Twenty something", "Undertow")

spacewalker

#4 Post by spacewalker » Wed 11 May 2016, 2:42 pm

I suppose it's right. "Say it to me" seems to be too untypical for PSB, "Burn" is not much of a song and "Groovy" is just not the single material (c). So, chances for 4th single from "Super" are quite low (in my opinion, of course).
Last edited by spacewalker on Wed 11 May 2016, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamobjornen

#5 Post by dynamobjornen » Wed 11 May 2016, 2:45 pm

Burn is really good. But single material? Imho no. It sounds like Italo Disco from the 80s. I doubt that it would get much airplay. I think 3 singles is enough this day in age, when singles don't matter as much as they used to. For me it's just a way to get bonus tracks.
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

Zog

#6 Post by Zog » Wed 11 May 2016, 2:51 pm

nickname wrote:I don't know if you remember some "Super" albums had a sticker that said "Twenty something" was going to be the next single. As we can see, it's true.

According to the sticker, the next one (after "Twenty something") was going to be "Undertow" which I think is a really good track, my favourite to be honest, and well deserved.

No more singles are planned.

But I think PSB should give a chance for a fourth single because "Burn" is single worthy and I wouldn't understand this track wasn't a single.
Well, so far the sticker has proven right.

Undertow would make an excelent single.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

daveid

#7 Post by daveid » Wed 11 May 2016, 3:15 pm

nickname wrote:
The sticker didn't say more about it. The last albums had the same number of singles and structure:

Elysium: "Invisible" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("Winner", "Leaving", "Memory of the future")

Electric: "Axis" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("Vocal", "Love is a bourgeois construct", "Thursday")

Super: "Inner sanctum" (like a kind of preview) and then 3 singles ("The pop kids", "Twenty something", "Undertow")
That's no indication they'll do that this time although I agree they probably will. I was hoping.for 4 singles given that Electric - a 9 track album sort of had 5

NikacP0kac

#8 Post by NikacP0kac » Wed 11 May 2016, 6:13 pm

Who cares, I just want the details for the 20S release. Enjoy the present, nickname.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Leeds City Boy

#9 Post by Leeds City Boy » Wed 11 May 2016, 6:25 pm

The best song on the album for me and ripe for some fantastic remixes. Looking forward to it.

retrofuturist

#10 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 12 May 2016, 1:15 am

Hopefully the sticker is right in this case, but history shows that's no guarantee of anything....

Retro. :)

gx2066

#11 Post by gx2066 » Thu 12 May 2016, 1:42 am

if only we can print some stickers and put them in the CDs... we could get more singles.

daveid

#12 Post by daveid » Thu 12 May 2016, 1:58 am

retrofuturist wrote:Hopefully the sticker is right in this case, but history shows that's no guarantee of anything....

Retro. :)
Good bloody grief. Is that genuine? Thank Tennant they didn't release ADPOV as a single...

NikacP0kac

#13 Post by NikacP0kac » Thu 12 May 2016, 2:10 am

The sticker says features, not features the singles...go figure.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Hillbilly

#14 Post by Hillbilly » Thu 12 May 2016, 7:30 am

nickname wrote:

For Elysium and Electric even the preview tracks were released together with a video clip, while only two of the singles had an official video. Can we expect a video for "Undertow" if it follows the same pattern? By the way we also had "Happiness" as a preview track from Super!

Why doesn't for example "Axis" count as a single? It was released with a video as well as a number of remixes (bonus tracks). Singles don't have to be released physically. Compare with "Vocal" that was also released without B-sides, but a video and lots of remixes.

Shopper

#15 Post by Shopper » Thu 12 May 2016, 7:38 am

I hope so...we need another beachy video. neil and chris in miami and the waves crashing on their KORG
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook