So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2797
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#46 Post by daveid » Wed 25 May 2016, 3:13 pm

Drem wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:
daveid wrote:I don't think Chris was involved with the track at all?
Maybe this is at least why it was not included on Format.
In fact, somewhere back in 2000 or 2001 PSB OS made a clear statement that "Break 4 Love is not Pet Shop Boys release without any Chris involvement".
That wasn't my quote you quoted there... :eh:

Palpatine
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#47 Post by Palpatine » Wed 25 May 2016, 9:32 pm

I don't mind "Absolutely fabulous" to be left off. Unless you're a fan of the TV series it's a totally pointless track. Personally I hate it.

"How can you expect to be taken seriously?" is of course a true single, released as a double A-side with "Where the streets have no name"; yet only the latter song appears on compilations. The strangest thing is that the single version of "How can you expect..." is yet to be released on an album! Why wasn't it included on Behaviour/Further Listening?[/quote]

You're absolutely correct. It's a travesty that we still don't have the 7" of Seriously in CD quality twenty-five years after it was originally released. It wasn't on Discography because of space limitations. Neil said it wasn't on PopArt because Streets got 90% of the airplay and, consequently, is the one everybody remembers. Still doesn't explain why it wasn't on Behaviour FL. I think it comes down to neither of them liking it very much.

User avatar
panda magic
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#48 Post by panda magic » Wed 25 May 2016, 10:20 pm

Palpatine wrote: You're absolutely correct. It's a travesty that we still don't have the 7" of Seriously in CD quality twenty-five years after it was originally released. It wasn't on Discography because of space limitations. Neil said it wasn't on PopArt because Streets got 90% of the airplay and, consequently, is the one everybody remembers. Still doesn't explain why it wasn't on Behaviour FL. I think it comes down to neither of them liking it very much.
I would have absolutely swapped out DJ Culture (which was already widely available on Discography) on the Further Listening bonus disc for the 7" mix of "Seriously." In my opinion the Brothers in Rhythm mix of "Seriously" is the definitive version of the song and is one of my favorite PSB tracks of all time. I seldom listen to the album version but when I do I'm always surprised at how flimsy it sounds next to the BIR production. So it would be nice to have the 7" mix on CD but isn't the "perfect attitude" mix nearly the same? (minus the "you gotta have fun" sample of course.)

I can't imagine Neil & Christ not liking the 7" remix anymore, though they've had baffling opinions before so I suppose it's possible. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Brothers In Rhythm had initially presented them with a totally different remix of "Seriously" which Neil & Chris weren't into at all, and then they said "oh well we also did this version" which the Boys vastly preferred and presumably that's what was finally released. So it seems as though they liked that remix at some point in history. (Oh and also it was the version they used for the "Performance" tour.)

NotInvisible
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#49 Post by NotInvisible » Thu 26 May 2016, 1:28 am

Palpatine wrote:I don't mind "Absolutely fabulous" to be left off. Unless you're a fan of the TV series it's a totally pointless track. Personally I hate it.
Agreed... but it's clearly a Pet Shop Boys song and rewriting history re: compilation albums doesn't change that.

User avatar
Old Soak
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#50 Post by Old Soak » Thu 26 May 2016, 10:05 am

NotInvisible wrote:
Palpatine wrote:I don't mind "Absolutely fabulous" to be left off. Unless you're a fan of the TV series it's a totally pointless track. Personally I hate it.
Agreed... but it's clearly a Pet Shop Boys song and rewriting history re: compilation albums doesn't change that.
It's one easy edit to make Absolutely Dubulous into a great dance track, removing any trace of the Ab Fab girls by excising about 1 minute.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

User avatar
Drem
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu 09 Jun 2005, 9:24 am
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#51 Post by Drem » Fri 27 May 2016, 8:02 am

daveid wrote:That wasn't my quote you quoted there... :eh:
Sometimes quotation goes wrong... there something in forum's engine to deal with it.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2216
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#52 Post by Pod » Fri 27 May 2016, 7:31 pm

panda magic wrote:I can't imagine Neil & Christ not liking the 7" remix anymore
Wow! Some divine intervention there!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.


User avatar
E-Mail Vampire
Posts: 1491
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#54 Post by E-Mail Vampire » Thu 02 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm

At this rate we will be luckyto get a 2nd single!

User avatar
PoloPony
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#55 Post by PoloPony » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:51 pm

So this is like the worst single selection of an album, ever. Did they pick the worst songs on purpose? Do they really want to be forgotten by the charts?

User avatar
jules
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat 22 Apr 2006, 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#56 Post by jules » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:58 am

I wonder if this could have been an inspiration for undertow ? I have just discovered this great song, and saw that it's coming from the album "balls", with the big dots ! Some parts in the song even make me think to undertow.

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Sparks-The-C ... ter/186107



The part from 2:05 could be the "guardian angel" bridge.

Palpatine
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat 27 Mar 2004, 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#57 Post by Palpatine » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:33 am

PoloPony wrote:So this is like the worst single selection of an album, ever. Did they pick the worst songs on purpose? Do they really want to be forgotten by the charts?
They were forgotten by the charts ten - fifteen years ago. Nothing they release will chart. I'm actually shocked that some people still think they have a chance to a have big chart hits thirty years after their first hit. Taylor Swift isn't even old enough to be one of the babies in the It's Alright video. That's how old they are. The Pop Kids was the obvious choice for lead single, Twenty-Something is the obvious second single and a slightly remixed version of Undertow or Say it to me would be a fine third single. I like Burn but I'm a bit tired of it.

Tom Angel
Posts: 3228
Joined: Sat 04 Feb 2006, 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: So "Undertow" is going to be the third single and that's all

#58 Post by Tom Angel » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 7:48 am

Palpatine wrote:
PoloPony wrote:So this is like the worst single selection of an album, ever. Did they pick the worst songs on purpose? Do they really want to be forgotten by the charts?
They were forgotten by the charts ten - fifteen years ago. Nothing they release will chart. I'm actually shocked that some people still think they have a chance to a have big chart hits thirty years after their first hit. Taylor Swift isn't even old enough to be one of the babies in the It's Alright video. That's how old they are. The Pop Kids was the obvious choice for lead single, Twenty-Something is the obvious second single and a slightly remixed version of Undertow or Say it to me would be a fine third single. I like Burn but I'm a bit tired of it.
I agree - the single choices are excellent. Albeit a little too far apart to ruin momentum. But I even agree with Undertow as 3rd single. If only the beat was slowed SLIGHTLY, but it's superb.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 18 guests