The Super Tour - Some speculation

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Harry
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon 16 Feb 2004, 5:11 pm
Contact:

The Super Tour - Some speculation

#1 Post by Harry » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

Just some thoughts on the almost imminent Super Tour, and what we might expect to see.

Those of us lucky enough to have attended the Inner Sanctum shows will know that the production felt quite different to the last few tours. As a residency rather than a tour they were able to put on a more spectacular show that somehow felt more tangible than Pandemonium and Electric (which were both stunning in my opinion).

Touring the exact same production would obviously be a challenge, given the physical nature of the staging and the amount of people involved. They will have to cut it down to size a little, so I wonder what they will remove and what they will add. My guess is a longer setlist with a few more 'hits', two dancers rather than the 50+ at the ROH, and the background projected rather than based on a physical 'hoop'. They have already confirmed the three musicians will remain in the show.

I really hope they keep the 'Enigma' section where the inner hoops were summoned down from the gods to music that sounded like a machine grinding to a halt - it was one of the most thrilling parts of the show for me.

One interesting point is that tickets for the shows are significantly more expensive than the previous tours, and there are no standing places anywhere. Perhaps this reflects a more expensive production?

Thoughts, Petheads?
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

le petit corbusier
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue 20 Mar 2007, 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#2 Post by le petit corbusier » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

They should add Shouting in the evening. That's the only Electric song that hasn't been played live, right?
Look left, then right
And run for your life

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#3 Post by Gabby » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 9:08 pm

Harry wrote: One interesting point is that tickets for the shows are significantly more expensive than the previous tours, and there are no standing places anywhere. Perhaps this reflects a more expensive production?

Thoughts, Petheads?
My tickets for the Toronto show weren't much different in price to the Electric tour. Based on what I've seen from huge extravagant productions from Lady Gaga and video seen of Kanye's tour this year where the ticket prices were much the same (and both very expensive) I'd say production cost isn't necessarily the driving force behind the ticket costs in live shows. Kanye's set consisted of him on a stage, some smoke, and a bit of mood lighting. I'm sure it didn't break the bank.

stevebr20012
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun 22 Jul 2007, 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#4 Post by stevebr20012 » Mon 05 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm

le petit corbusier wrote:They should add Shouting in the evening. That's the only Electric song that hasn't been played live, right?
I don't think Bolshy has had an outing either. Not sure either of those would be overly good live.

User avatar
Danger
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu 10 Aug 2006, 5:30 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#5 Post by Danger » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 8:35 am

Still not booked mine for Köln but it will be quite more expensive than my last German gig in 2013 (46€ vs 60€). I hope in different songs from Nightlife and Release: I'm a bit tired of NYC Boy & H&D
Image
Image

User avatar
West End Boy
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#6 Post by West End Boy » Sun 18 Sep 2016, 11:07 pm

I heavily expect the tour to simply be a toned-down version of the ROH shows. I guess they will cut 3-4 songs from the setlist, throw out all of the fatsuit dancers at the end and pretty much keep the rest of the show as it is. Anything else would be a huge surprise to me.
Tyrants and kings both meet the same fate, strung up at your city gate.

User avatar
NikacP0kac
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri 10 May 2013, 12:55 am
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#7 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 18 Sep 2016, 11:13 pm

West End Boy wrote:I heavily expect the tour to simply be a toned-down version of the ROH shows. I guess they will cut 3-4 songs from the setlist, throw out all of the fatsuit dancers at the end and pretty much keep the rest of the show as it is. Anything else would be a huge surprise to me.
Cut? I think they'll add that much, but yeah the logistical problems like the fatsuit dancers etc. will probably be chucked out. I'll take nothing less than a 2 hour show for that kind of money!
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

User avatar
jasonk848
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue 10 May 2016, 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#8 Post by jasonk848 » Tue 20 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

I think a mashup of Shouting In the Evening, with maybe Inner Sanctum, Pazzo! & Axis, as well as some kind of remix of a popular track (It's a Sin) would be really cool.
did you see me coming?

le petit corbusier
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue 20 Mar 2007, 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#9 Post by le petit corbusier » Tue 20 Sep 2016, 11:22 pm

jasonk848 wrote:I think a mashup of Shouting In the Evening, with maybe Inner Sanctum, Pazzo! & Axis, as well as some kind of remix of a popular track (It's a Sin) would be really cool.
I like that mash up idea. This Stuart Price era should be all about bangers and only bangers (sort of). As much as I like The Dictator decides, and many of you Sad robot world, I think they break the flow on Super and maybe they should replace Dictator on the tour. Cloud in a box would be nice. I just can't shake from my head how my beloved Invisible sank among the chatter of the crowd on the Electric tour.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

User avatar
MikeyC
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat 07 Oct 2006, 5:28 am
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#10 Post by MikeyC » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 2:57 am

le petit corbusier wrote:
jasonk848 wrote:I just can't shake from my head how my beloved Invisible sank among the chatter of the crowd on the Electric tour.
Too many of the "casual" fans didn't know, nor care to get to know it and used the opportunity to chat and/or visit the restrooms. Their loss!

Bulldog

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#11 Post by Bulldog » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 3:17 am

Slightly OT: Do we have an idea of how much time tour rehearsals subtract to potential studio time? Earlier this year there were strong rumours about PSB secretly recording with Price and Marr for a 2017 release. The imminent tour might make it implausible, but there are several interesting clues: a) the relative lack of OS updates b) America as the first leg of the tour (is Price still LA based?) c) The structure of the show probably already tested with the ROH rehearsals and performances...You know, something's got to happen anyway!

User avatar
geowayne
Posts: 1983
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 6:43 am
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#12 Post by geowayne » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 4:57 am

One interesting point is that tickets for the shows are significantly more expensive than the previous tours, and there are no standing places anywhere. Perhaps this reflects a more expensive production?
I think it varies from one venue to another, but I'm virtually positive that in some venues there *are* standing places -- assuming by that you mean general admission on the floor where people end up standing the whole time.

User avatar
jasonk848
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue 10 May 2016, 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#13 Post by jasonk848 » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

At least have the KCRW version of Invisible :)
did you see me coming?

Tom Angel
Posts: 3179
Joined: Sat 04 Feb 2006, 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#14 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm

le petit corbusier wrote:
jasonk848 wrote:I think a mashup of Shouting In the Evening, with maybe Inner Sanctum, Pazzo! & Axis, as well as some kind of remix of a popular track (It's a Sin) would be really cool.
I like that mash up idea. This Stuart Price era should be all about bangers and only bangers (sort of). As much as I like The Dictator decides, and many of you Sad robot world, I think they break the flow on Super and maybe they should replace Dictator on the tour. Cloud in a box would be nice. I just can't shake from my head how my beloved Invisible sank among the chatter of the crowd on the Electric tour.

Same here - Can;t work out if the Electric tour was crap, or whether the crowds were. I went twice and was disappointed on both occasions. Invisible didn't really work live - yet I ADORE it too.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

le petit corbusier
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue 20 Mar 2007, 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Super Tour - Some speculation

#15 Post by le petit corbusier » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 6:41 pm

Tom Angel wrote:
le petit corbusier wrote:
jasonk848 wrote:I think a mashup of Shouting In the Evening, with maybe Inner Sanctum, Pazzo! & Axis, as well as some kind of remix of a popular track (It's a Sin) would be really cool.
I like that mash up idea. This Stuart Price era should be all about bangers and only bangers (sort of). As much as I like The Dictator decides, and many of you Sad robot world, I think they break the flow on Super and maybe they should replace Dictator on the tour. Cloud in a box would be nice. I just can't shake from my head how my beloved Invisible sank among the chatter of the crowd on the Electric tour.

Same here - Can;t work out if the Electric tour was crap, or whether the crowds were. I went twice and was disappointed on both occasions. Invisible didn't really work live - yet I ADORE it too.
In my opinion it was great. I only attended one concert, Sónar'13, though. Every song was a triumph, according to the audience reaction, except for Invisible, Leaving and Memory of the future (three brilliant songs). There were lots of friends of mine scattered through the crowd, and they all were saying the same: awesome concert, but they found "the slow songs" out of place. And I agree. If only they had played the Stuart Price remix of Memory of the future... If only the had played their own remix of Leaving... Wasn't It all about strobes and banging?
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: leesmapman, MSN [Bot] and 29 guests