Es Devlin, choose her best PSB visual design on tour

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Es Devlin, choose her best PSB's visual design on tour

Pandemonium
68%
Electric
14%
Super
18%

Total votes: 22

nickname

Es Devlin, choose her best PSB visual design on tour

#1 Post by nickname » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:46 am

Vote your favourite.

Drem

Re: Es Devlin, choose her best PSB visual design on tour

#2 Post by Drem » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:29 pm

Where's Fundamental Tour? She did it as well.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

nickname

#3 Post by nickname » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 2:43 pm

Drem wrote:Where's Fundamental Tour? She did it as well.
I didn't know "Fundamental Tour" was a design from Es Devlin. :oops:

goughsjd

#4 Post by goughsjd » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

Easily fundamental and pandemonium for me great how they kept transforming the stage into something different !
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

West End Boy

#5 Post by West End Boy » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

Pandemonium, by a large margin. Electric was simply a mess, and Super - although it in a way recycles a lot of the elements we've seen during the Electric tour - lies somewhere in between. For me, the big difference between Pandemonium and the other two tours is that Pandemonium had a stringent, consistent "story" to it whereas Electric and Super just feel very random, with some lasers thrown in for good measure.
    Tyrants and kings both meet the same fate, strung up at your city gate.

Drem

#6 Post by Drem » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 1:40 pm

I agree with West End Boy. And the setlist was amazing too, well, even if these medleys were a bit fed up for most of us at the end of tour. "King's Cross", "Do I have to?", "Jealousy", "Two divided by zero", "Why don't we live together?" - what a selection, and some amazing mixes along (Kraftwerk-esque version of "Left to my own devices" was outstanding, in particular).
    "I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
    (Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

nickname

#7 Post by nickname » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 8:58 pm

The "Pandemonium"'s Christmas concert in London was one of the best PSB concerts of all time.

West End Boy

#8 Post by West End Boy » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm

Interestingly, Pandemonium seemed like a more refined version of Cubism - similar stage elements, but just a lot more thought-out and with more things happening on stage. The same can be said about Super: it's essentially an upgraded version of Electric. So maybe we'll (hopefully) get an all-new tour concept once the next tour rolls around.
    Tyrants and kings both meet the same fate, strung up at your city gate.

ZiggyPSB

#9 Post by ZiggyPSB » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 9:06 pm

West End Boy wrote:Interestingly, Pandemonium seemed like a more refined version of Cubism - similar stage elements, but just a lot more thought-out and with more things happening on stage. The same can be said about Super: it's essentially an upgraded version of Electric. So maybe we'll (hopefully) get an all-new tour concept once the next tour rolls around.
    And I'm thinking of a game of, "guess the next motif in the next album". Will it be triangles?
    This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
    http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
    Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

michael888

#10 Post by michael888 » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 8:43 am

ZiggyPSB wrote:
    West End Boy wrote:Interestingly, Pandemonium seemed like a more refined version of Cubism - similar stage elements, but just a lot more thought-out and with more things happening on stage. The same can be said about Super: it's essentially an upgraded version of Electric. So maybe we'll (hopefully) get an all-new tour concept once the next tour rolls around.
    And I'm thinking of a game of, "guess the next motif in the next album". Will it be triangles?
    The boys and Es will have to invent more shapes.

NikacP0kac

#11 Post by NikacP0kac » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 10:15 am

michael888 wrote:
    ZiggyPSB wrote:
    Depeche Mode got dibs on the triangles for the last tour. :P
    Have a look at my taste in music:
    http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

michael888

#12 Post by michael888 » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:53 am

NikacP0kac wrote:
    michael888 wrote:
    ZiggyPSB wrote:
    PENTAGONS!

NikacP0kac

#13 Post by NikacP0kac » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 3:29 pm

michael888 wrote:
    NikacP0kac wrote:
    michael888 wrote: The boys and Es will have to invent more shapes.
    PENTAGONS!
    These are just circles with bad resolution. :D
    Have a look at my taste in music:
    http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

nickname

#14 Post by nickname » Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:39 pm

Maybe, "Pandemonium" is the most enthussiastic tour to date and it was really successful.

It was maybe the best set-list (mixed or not) of a PSB concert in my opinion.

- The tour with MORE HITS included in the set-list: West End girls, Opportunities (a sample while Chris is dancing), Suburbia, It's a sin, What have I done to deserve this?, Always on my mind, Heart, Domino Dancing, Left to my own devices, Can you forgive her?, Go West, Se a vida e, New York City Boy, Love etc.

- You could even listen to classic PSB songs like: Being Boring and Jealousy.

- An important return to the very early years: Two divided by zero, Why don't we live together?, In the night (sample), Paninaro (sample).

- Songs from the "new" album: Did you see me coming? (More than a dream sample), Pandemonium, Love etc, Building a wall, All over the world.

- A classic B side: Do I have to?.

- An unreleased song: Little black dress (sample)

- A reference to their musical: Closer to heaven.

- One more cover: Viva la Vida (Coldplay)

- A sample of drums and latin sounds sung in Spanish: Discoteca/Single Bilingual

Even better if you could see the Christmas concerts with

- Another cover: My girl (Madness)

- The classic PSB Christmas song: It doesn't often snow at Christmas (updated version)

A set list for all kind of tastes with the best of PSB career.