new I WANT A DOG cover by Tocotronic singer

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
13thJoerg

new I WANT A DOG cover by Tocotronic singer

#1 Post by 13thJoerg »

Just have been made aware of this cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91MOHr ... e=youtu.be

Dirk von Lowtzow is the singer of the most prolific german Indie Band Tocotronic. Apparently he was asked by Martin Hossbach if he would consider to cover a PSB song and he chose this. Complete with a "Wau Wau Wau" solo and a PSB style listing of dog races :D

fac23

Re: new I WANT A DOG cover by Tocotronic singer

#2 Post by fac23 »

Love it. Then again, I've always been a fan of Tocotronic as well. Quite surprised to see this. Thank you for the heads up.

df118junkie

#3 Post by df118junkie »

Errr...No.

Andie

#4 Post by Andie »

I really liked it. Very melancholy. :(
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

Bulldog

#5 Post by Bulldog »

Not a fan of those cover versions trying too hard to divert from the original tune...

minimal

#6 Post by minimal »

Bulldog wrote:
Sat 27 May 2017, 5:38 pm
Not a fan of those cover versions trying too hard to divert from the original tune...
Exactly the opposite is the case. You probably just don't know von Lowtzow or Tocotronic. It's his style, it's more or less what you'd expect from him nowadays. Also, I think it obtains the melancholy as well as the good portion of British humour very well; especially by adding German onomatopoeia and the enumeration of various dog breeds.

Tocotronic is a cultural institution known for their witty an poetic lyrics even being discussed at universities etc. So no matter whether or not you like that version I think we should pay some respect and be glad that some prolific German artist cares for the music we love.

Received my vinyl from Komapakt today. Looks great.

m+

Bulldog

#7 Post by Bulldog »

Well, to each his own. In general terms I'm a little suspicious about acoustic or semi-acoustic renditions of electronic songs. Gary Jules and his "Mad World" cover is the blueprint of that, but I'm also thinking of Peter Gabriel and his recent, rather criticized work with orchestra. IMHO there's something just not right about that kind of thing, as the relation between rhythm and harmonies often gets quite standardized (you can't have a Steve Morris in every band...) and to compensate the loss of intricacy the arrangers seem to have to change drastically the tune. And often the "melancholic" side of songs like '"Mad World" or "I want a dog" becomes too literal, if not whiny as in Jules' case...

alternativeformat

#8 Post by alternativeformat »

Thanks for pointing this out, 13thJoerg. It's a sweet rendition. I have to see where I can buy the download in the US.

I'm a gigantic fan of the Superpitcher/Wasserman mixes of Tocotronics' "Pure Vernunft darf niemals siegen" (Pure reason must never prevail). (Nice examples, by the way of something acoustic getting a great electronic setting--an easier trick, perhaps, than the other direction). I'll like having another fragment of Tocotronics in my library!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Pod

#9 Post by Pod »

Interesting...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Dog

#10 Post by Dog »

It's a song about loneliness and I think that really comes across in this version.
Woof.