Letter from Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Letter from Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe

#1 Post by canveyboy » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 9:14 am

Did anyone else get this email today? This was the subject of the email but when I opened it up it just said that the message could not be displayed because of the way it was formatted.

Can anyone read the email?
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Drico One

Re: Letter from Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe

#2 Post by Drico One » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:04 am

Dear Pethead,

We are delighted to announce some exciting plans for 2018. There are none.

Best wishes,

Neil and Chris. xx
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Markpro

#3 Post by Markpro » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

I had to move mine from my junk mail to inbox then i could read it

I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

JSDOUVRES

#4 Post by JSDOUVRES » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 11:36 am

I have a feeling that this is not selling quite as well as the last one, hence this message. Shows what including an exclusive CD does!

Markpro

#5 Post by Markpro » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:06 pm

Probably the reason i’m not buying this issue, i’m not big a reader of books and if i do it’s usually on kindle anyway, without the CD it’s just not for me. I sold last years annually to a fellow pethead on here cost price as i had read it and it would only gather dust.

I hope future issues come with CD’s again as i would buy them even if they were a little but more expensive, i do hope this doesn’t mean they stop producing the books for those fans that like them though
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Danimal

#6 Post by Danimal » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 2:59 pm

I do enjoy reading PSB's publications and hope they continue to produce them. I preordered this edition. Having said that though, I love the exclusive discs and they're not a huge effort to make. Would have loved to get an extended version of "Burn" with an unreleased demo or a live track as a b-side.

minimal

#7 Post by minimal » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 3:58 pm

That letter is odd, specifically in terms of its language and besides it's far from cool.

I miss the days when they just wouldn't do such ... desperate commercial steps.

m+

sharky

#8 Post by sharky » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

Not a letter from Chris and Neil, but from their marketing department

Undertaker

#9 Post by Undertaker » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 6:41 pm

I think some of you are over analysing this lol. It just looks like something they would have done years ago before social media. Just like Annually is.

Gabby

#10 Post by Gabby » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:24 pm

I got all excited when I saw the email, because I thought maybe it was announcing that all pre-ordered copies to date would also come with something exclusive, but no such luck.

It was just the same spiel from the website. If you're going to send out a note to people signed up to the newsletter, at least make it newsworthy!

:wall:

Blaahh

#11 Post by Blaahh » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

Agree with earlier, not selling as well, obvious answer to that - free cd required!

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

Never thought they'd go down the 419 scam route.

West End Boy

#13 Post by West End Boy » Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

It would be easy to argue that this is not a letter written by the boys themselves but rather by their marketing department, sure.

However, that peculiar phrase "How could you miss it!?" really stands out. It just seems so tongue-in-cheek, especially with that punctuation. After an entire paragraph that basically says "there's nothing special in this issue" - nothing on album / touring plans, which is ultimately what the fans really care about - they ask this question, which in this context strikes me as highly ironic. I can totally imagine Neil and Chris adding this sentence to the end of the pre-fabricated text their marketing department suggested, just as a subtle hint at how ridiculous they find this commercialization of their music.

Then again, they are going to profit financially from that magazine, so this kind of subtle criticism could also be considered inappropriate, if not hypocritical.
Tyrants and kings both meet the same fate, strung up at your city gate.

Drico One

#14 Post by Drico One » Sun 18 Feb 2018, 8:26 pm

The problem with moving from the occassional "thrice-yearly" Literally, which dropped whenever they had something to justify release, to the more rigid schedule of an annual publication (last April, this April, next April...) is that sometimes there's little to write home about.

I'm delighted we're still getting any form of Literally at all - Neil and Chris are always engaging reading - but I wonder if today's fans expect some more bang for their buck, even if it is only the gimmick of some crap CD like last year's.

Let's face it, the trailed contents for this year's edition look like they were scraped together for a laugh over a few drinks. When Pete Gleadall and London are the stars, you know there's not much to say.

The timing of this year's edition is against it, but nobody is forcing anybody to buy it. I'll enjoy it as I always do when it comes out. €20, or whatever it costs, is no price to pay for my latest ticket into the hermetically-sealed PSB world - especially when there isn't going to be a huge outlay on PSB product this year.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#15 Post by y3potential » Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:21 pm

Drico One wrote:
Sun 18 Feb 2018, 8:26 pm
The problem with moving from the occassional "thrice-yearly" Literally, which dropped whenever they had something to justify release, to the more rigid schedule of an annual publication (last April, this April, next April...) is that sometimes there's little to write home about.

I'm delighted we're still getting any form of Literally at all - Neil and Chris are always engaging reading - but I wonder if today's fans expect some more bang for their buck, even if it is only the gimmick of some crap CD like last year's.

Let's face it, the trailed contents for this year's edition look like they were scraped together for a laugh over a few drinks. When Pete Gleadall and London are the stars, you know there's not much to say.

The timing of this year's edition is against it, but nobody is forcing anybody to buy it. I'll enjoy it as I always do when it comes out. €20, or whatever it costs, is no price to pay for my latest ticket into the hermetically-sealed PSB world - especially when there isn't going to be a huge outlay on PSB product this year.

Drico.

I couldn't agree more. Incidentally does your intended lack of "outlay on PSB product this year" mean you are swerving the upcoming vinyl releases of the original albums..? I'm aware they are not essential purchases.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.