Introspective 2018 CD Remaster reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MD

Introspective 2018 CD Remaster reviews

#1 Post by MD » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 7:28 am

OK guys I started this thread exclusively for reviews of the 2018 Introspective cd remaster. Ive purchased all of the 2017/2018 CD remasters, and am aware that many members of the forum are wondering if they should purchase these. So I’m going to try to give some of my impressions on the sound quality of the remastering on the Introspective CDs.

As I do not like the sound quality of vinyl in general I will not be making any comments on the vinyl remaster. I hope others will also post their thoughts on Introspective as well. Hopefully, this will help people to decide if they should give this remaster a listen. I wonder if it might be possible for other forum members to start a thread for each of the individual CD or vinyl remasters?

So here goes.

What exactly has been remastered?

The content of both CDs have been remastered,
I’ve seen the waveform files for both disks and each song has been individually remastered.

This is good news as the person doing this remaster has clearly taken the time to give each track his undivided attention. Some songs have been mastered louder than others and generally all have good dynamic range. None of the tracks are (in my opinion) overly loud and in general this remaster of Introspective is far superior to the 2001 edition.

One of the first things to jump out at me was the drum sounds have more punch and are crisp and defined. They are much less muddy, the same is true of the bass. The low end of sound is more pronounced but not Louder than the 2001 versions.

The second thing to get my notice was that the vocals are a bit higher in the mix, I find that I can understand some lyrics that I had previously been unable to. On “ One of the crowd “ chris’s vocals are much more clear and understandable.

The separation between the left and right channels seems more pronounced allowing the strings on “Left to my own devices“ to almost float in the air above you when you listen. I also noticed that some atmospheric sounds like breaking glass are more easily heard. The beginning to “I want a dog“ when the rain and thunder start is amazing it sounds like I’m actually standing out side in a thunderstorm.

“Losing my mind“ is particularly glorious on the 2018 remaster. Much more detail and clarity on the vocals and the instrumentation. Disk two seems to my ears to have received a little bit more attention than disc one but this might just be my perception.

In making this review I have compared to 2018 remaster side by side with the 2001 remaster and my original CD copy of introspective from the 80s. In my opinion the 2018 remaster is superior to both, and this remaster is a must purchase. I hope my little review will be of use to some of you and I’m looking forward to seeing your reviews as well.
Last edited by MD on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Greendrake

Re: Introspective 2018 CD Remaster reviews

#2 Post by Greendrake » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 8:10 am

Did they fix the triple bit glitch on Don Juan (disco mix) at 4:52 that can be heard on the 2001 remaster?

daveid

#3 Post by daveid » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 10:03 am

MD wrote:
Wed 07 Mar 2018, 7:28 am
OK guys I started this thread exclusively for reviews of the 2018 Introspective cd remaster. Ive purchased all of the 2017/2018 CD remasters, and am aware that many members of the forum are wondering if they should purchase these. So I’m going to try to give some of my impressions on the sound quality of the remastering on the Introspective CDs.

As I do not like the sound quality of vinyl in general I will not be making any comments on the vinyl remaster. I hope others will also post their thoughts on Introspective as well. Hopefully, this will help people to decide if they should give this remaster a listen. I wonder if it might be possible for other forum members to start a thread for each of the individual CD or vinyl remasters?

So here goes.

What exactly has been remastered?

The content of both CDs have been remastered,
I’ve seen the waveform files for both disks and each song has been individually remastered.

This is good news as the person doing this remaster has clearly taken the time to give each track his undivided attention. Some songs have been mastered louder than others and generally all have good dynamic range. None of the tracks are (in my opinion) overly loud and in general this remaster of Introspective is far superior to the 2001 edition.

One of the first things to jump out at me was the drum sounds have more punch and are crisp and defined. They are much less muddy, the same is true of the bass. The low end of sound is more pronounced but not Louder than the 2001 versions.

The second thing to get my notice was that the vocals are a bit higher in the mix, I find that I can understand some lyrics that I had previously been unable to. On “ One of the crowd “ chris’s vocals are much more clear and understandable.

The separation between the left and right channels seems more pronounced allowing the strings on “Left to my own devices“ to almost float in the air above you when you listen. I also noticed that some atmospheric sounds like breaking glass are more easily heard. The beginning to “I want to dog“ when the rain and thunder start is amazing it sounds like I’m actually standing out side in a thunderstorm.

“Losing my mind“ is particularly glorious on the 2018 remaster. Much more detail and clarity on the vocals and the instrumentation. Disk two seems to my ears to have received a little bit more attention than disc one but this might just be my perception.

In making this review I have compared to 2018 remaster side by side with the 2001 remaster and my original CD copy of introspective from the 80s. In my opinion the 2018 remaster is superior to both, and this remaster is a must purchase. I hope my little review will be of use to some of you and I’m looking forward to seeing your reviews as well.
Thanks very much. You've convinced me I will eventually buy these. Hope you will do the same for Please and Actually.

Pod

#4 Post by Pod » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 4:09 pm

Thanks Neil... :wink:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

MD

#5 Post by MD » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:46 am

Greendrake wrote:
Wed 07 Mar 2018, 8:10 am
Did they fix the triple bit glitch on Don Juan (disco mix) at 4:52 that can be heard on the 2001 remaster?
No. But I’m not sure that is a glitch, I recall someone posting that this was an intentional edit and not a mistake. Can’t recall what thread this was in.

TwizzleUK

#6 Post by TwizzleUK » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 8:28 am

MD wrote:
Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:46 am
Greendrake wrote:
Wed 07 Mar 2018, 8:10 am
No. But I’m not sure that is a glitch, I recall someone posting that this was an intentional edit and not a mistake. Can’t recall what thread this was in.
The point is, that bit is different to the 'Disco Mix' on the 'Domino Dancing' 12"/CD-S. I don't believe its a "glitch", just an extra 8th note repeat that shouldn't be there. Could be an alternative variant mix (made at the time of the original Disco Mix) with an extra beat. A beat that actually pushes that bar out of the song's 4/4 rhythm.

GaryK

#7 Post by GaryK » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 1:29 pm

I purchased a copy on the back of this review

Arrived this morning!

MD

#8 Post by MD » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 1:29 am

GaryK wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 1:29 pm
I purchased a copy on the back of this review

Arrived this morning!
Great!

When you’ve had a chance to give it a listen let us know what you think.

Actually

#9 Post by Actually » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:29 pm

Mmmm...Decision of grandeur!!!!
I came to the conclusion before ALL 2017/2018 re-issues were released that I will only buy Nightlife thru to Elysium on Cd and Please, Actually, Introspective, Bilingual & Release on Vinyl. I used to be a stickler of buying virtually everything they released. Having being fortunate to have been present at the 2001 signing session at Tower Records Picadilly I have Actually & Very personally signed.
I do love my Vinyls and have all the Original pressings of their albums apart from the White Vinyl of Release & Bilingual! The re-issue of the Release Vinyl is superb quality.
Now having read this superb thread of the sound quality to 2018 Introspective.....???
I'm too weak to be strong

Actually

#10 Post by Actually » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm

Mmmm...Decision of grandeur!!!!
I came to the conclusion before ALL 2017/2018 re-issues were released that I will only buy Nightlife thru to Elysium on Cd and Please, Actually, Introspective, Bilingual & Release on Vinyl. I used to be a stickler of buying virtually everything they released. Having being fortunate to have been present at the 2001 signing session at Tower Records Picadilly I have Actually & Very personally signed.
I do love my Vinyls and have all the Original pressings of their albums apart from the White Vinyl of Release & Bilingual! The re-issue of the Release Vinyl is superb quality.
Now having read this superb thread of the sound quality to 2018 Introspective.....???
I'm too weak to be strong