PSB at a Retro Night - If you were the DJ, what would YOU play?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

PSB at a Retro Night - If you were the DJ, what would YOU play?

#1 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Petheads,

I've been running a Saturday night retro night in the Western suburbs of Melbourne since May 2017 where we play "pop, dance, retro and disco" from the "70's, 80's and 90's".

On most weeks I'll try to smuggle a Pet Shop Boys track into the mix early on before there's any "dance floor pressure". Occasionally, I'll also manage to throw in Always On My Mind into the mix during the "peak time", if the 80's stuff is being well received by the crowd on that particular night.

So, in the interests of getting some more ideas, I wanted to get your thoughts on what Pet Shop Boys track YOU would play at such a venue:

1. Early on, before anyone was dancing?
2. During peak time, when the dancefloor is going?
3. In the last hour of the night, as people are a bit tipsy, and we're starting to wind the night down?

... keeping in mind that it's not a Pethead convention, but rather, just a bunch of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s & 50s who are out to have a drink with their friends, and maybe have a bit of a boogie in a beer garden once the alcohol diminishes their inhibitions.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions. If you're thinking of a specific mix of a song, try to specify that too.

Thanks!

Retro. :)

lucienchardon

Re: PSB at a Retro Night - If you were the DJ, what would YOU play?

#2 Post by lucienchardon »

My suggestions would be:

1. Opportunities, So hard, Se a vida e, West End girls
2. It's a sin (disco mix), Absolutely fabulous (Rollo mix), Go west
3. Rent (extended mix), Discoteca (Trouser Enthusiasts mix)

You could also end the night with Jealousy (extended mix) for those that go home alone at the end of the night.

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Which Rollo mix were you thinking in particular? I'm assuming you meant the "Our Tribe Tongue-In-Cheek Mix", as opposed to "Absolutely Dubulous", but I thought I should check!

Funny you should mention So Hard, because I opened with the Extended version of So Hard last Saturday night!

lucienchardon

#4 Post by lucienchardon »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 5:29 am
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Which Rollo mix were you thinking in particular? I'm assuming you meant the "Our Tribe Tongue-In-Cheek Mix", as opposed to "Absolutely Dubulous", but I thought I should check!

Funny you should mention So Hard, because I opened with the Extended version of So Hard last Saturday night!

Yes, the Our Tribe Tongue-In-Cheek Mix. I've always wanted to hear that really loud on a good sound system, especially the bit after "It's the bloody Pet Shop Boys sweetie" around 4:56. From what I understand Absolutely Fabulous is one of very few PSB songs that did well in the Australian charts so some people may have heard it and the TV show was probably popular there too.

The extended remix of So hard is a great choice! :)

tottenhammattspurs

#5 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Having been an 80s Dj for the past 16 years, I regularly play:-

Early doors:- suburbia and domino dancing

Peak :- always on my mind, Heart and Streets (91 I know but we bend a little)

Late or wind down:- West End Girls, What Have I....
is is and isnt isnt

retrofuturist

#6 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
lucienchardon wrote:
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 5:46 am
Yes, the Our Tribe Tongue-In-Cheek Mix. I've always wanted to hear that really loud on a good sound system, especially the bit after "It's the bloody Pet Shop Boys sweetie" around 4:56.
The sound system isn't great at the moment, but (according to one of the semi-regular acoustic acts who comes on before the DJ) the venue is in the process of upgrading it. Perhaps when they do, I shall celebrate by playing this mix!
lucienchardon wrote:
From what I understand Absolutely Fabulous is one of very few PSB songs that did well in the Australian charts so some people may have heard it and the TV show was probably popular there too.
True that. It peaked at #2 in the charts, held off the top spot only by Wet Wet Wet's "Love Is All Around".
lucienchardon wrote:
The extended remix of So hard is a great choice! :)
Yeah, it's a good mix for setting a mood... the extra bits over-and-above the regular version have a nice, crisp, electro sound. I'm also partial to the Dub version, but I haven't played that one outside the house for at least 17 years.

retrofuturist

#7 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 6:17 pm
Early doors:- suburbia and domino dancing
Nice! 7" or 12" versions?
Peak :- always on my mind, Heart and Streets (91 I know but we bend a little)
I really should play Streets. It went Top 10 here, but for some reason I never go through with it, even though it's been on my "Songs to Play" list many times.
Late or wind down:- West End Girls, What Have I....
Nice! 7" or 12" versions?

tottenhammattspurs

#8 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Suburbia is always the 12”. 7” versions for everything else except West End girls... I play the pandemonium tour version of that one. More bass. More “punchy”.
is is and isnt isnt

Remark

#9 Post by Remark »

Great thread! I know this was mentioned previously and there's a related thread with that recently discovered and impressive 5-hour megamix (that contains literally everything!), but in 2016 I was asked to DJ a 3-hour set to close out the two-day Pet Shop Boys Symposium conference in Edinburgh. It was extraordinary -- being able to play 3 hours of PSB music on a dance floor packed with dedicated and devoted Petheads! Because of the crowd, I thankfully didn't have to "warm up" with slower/mellow tracks and instead chose to kick things off right away. The mix celebrates 30 years of PSB history and has a track (or tracks) represented from every album.

You can stream the full mix from that evening, Remark presents Pet Shop Boys: Encomium 1986-2016, on Mixcloud.

I'm also working on a part 2 of this mix, to basically include many of the singles (and random big dance tracks) that weren't included in part 1.

Enjoy!

Xakrij

#10 Post by Xakrij »

Hello...Remark

IIRC, you included the Alex Dee Gladenko remix of Home and dry...one of the highlights of your Encomium mix.
How did you first hear that mix and were you concerned about how the crowd would react to a non-official release?
I look forward to part 2!
Shot in the fatal cause of 'frock-and-droll'

Remark

#11 Post by Remark »

Xakrij wrote:IIRC, you included the Alex Dee Gladenko remix of Home and dry...one of the highlights of your Encomium mix.
How did you first hear that mix and were you concerned about how the crowd would react to a non-official release?
I look forward to part 2!
Haha, great memory and question! I found that mix some time ago on Soundcloud. The reason I chose that mix is because, in my opinion, all official remixes from the singles off Release were very weak. Alex’s mix, unlike many unofficial mixes, is spectacular and professionally produced, mastered and edited. I deliberated adding it in because it was unofficial, but ultimately it fit so well into the setlist and I knew it would get a positive reaction. Sure enough, the crowd was very excited and I had 3-5 people ask me about the mix afterwards because they thought it was so good.

He needs to rework some more PSB tunes! I think the reason it sounds so good is because Home and Dry is one of the few PSB tracks that has a proper a cappella to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danimal

#12 Post by Danimal »

Domino dancing (base mix).