BBC4 TOTPs Heads Up..

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

BBC4 TOTPs Heads Up..

#1 Post by y3potential »

As some of you will be aware, BBC4 have been re-running original Top of the Pops episodes from the 1970s onwards and are now at Oct 1985. Enter Tennant and Lowe... Yes, some of these performances are on the Ultimate DVD, but there are others that slipped through the net (notably the Opportunities performance with Neil in the rather fetching white gloves and sun hat combo...) If anyone here can capture these upcoming performances and make them available somehow... :dance: :wink:
Last edited by y3potential on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

fac23

Re: BBC4 TOTPs Head Up..

#2 Post by fac23 »

Didn't know of that performance. Thanks for the heads up. Nice gloves :) Has Chris ever been seen this active on a TV stage again?

y3potential

Re: BBC4 TOTPs Head Up..

#3 Post by y3potential »

fac23 wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm Didn't know of that performance. Thanks for the heads up. Nice gloves :) Has Chris ever been seen this active on a TV stage again?

I very much doubt it...

jasminewok

Re: BBC4 TOTPs Heads Up..

#4 Post by jasminewok »

When is it on?

y3potential

#5 Post by y3potential »

jasminewok wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm When is it on?

BBC4 re-runs are currently at early October 1985 and normally on Thursday evenings or weekends... So I'm guessing PSBs first appearance (West End girls) will be in the next week or so... As I said, some of their appearances are already on Ultimate but there are others that weren't..

Drico One

#6 Post by Drico One »

My understanding is you won't see any West End Girls TOTP performances because they've all been "Smithed".

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Pod

#7 Post by Pod »

y3potential wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 9:57 pm As some of you will be aware, BBC4 have been re-running original Top of the Pops episodes from the 1970s onwards and are now at Oct 1985. Enter Tennant and Lowe... Yes, some of these performances are on the Ultimate DVD, but there are others that slipped through the net (notably the Opportunities performance with Neil in the rather fetching white gloves and sun hat combo...) If anyone here can capture these upcoming performances and make them available somehow... :dance: :wink:
I’ll keep an eye out for that.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

y3potential

#8 Post by y3potential »

Drico One wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm My understanding is you won't see any West End Girls TOTP performances because they've all been "Smithed".

Drico.
What is/was Mike Smith's problem, Drico..? Not all PSB's performances were introduced by him so some will slip through (If they are not Savilled, of course..!! :shock: )

Pod

#9 Post by Pod »

y3potential wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 11:15 pm
Drico One wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm My understanding is you won't see any West End Girls TOTP performances because they've all been "Smithed".

Drico.
What is/was Mike Smith's problem, Drico..? Not all PSB's performances were introduced by him so some will slip through (If they are not Savilled, of course..!! :shock: )
The line is - “While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.”

Pod

#10 Post by Pod »

For those who want a laugh at Chris’s ‘drumming’:

https://youtu.be/inNMaUDRKNw

y3potential

#11 Post by y3potential »

Pod wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018, 11:50 pm For those who want a laugh at Chris’s ‘drumming’:

https://youtu.be/inNMaUDRKNw
This is exactly my point regarding these upcoming TOTP's appearances. Of course some of the appearances will already be available on the Ultimate DVD, but examples like this Opportunities performance deserve to be seen in remastered form.. :wink:

Tom Angel

#12 Post by Tom Angel »

Chris does look totally cool - and didn't someone say how impressed they were by Chris' drum programming on opportunities?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

tottenhammattspurs

#13 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Won’t see Chris drumming like that until the Pandemonium tour some 23 years later
is is and isnt isnt

stussyboy

#14 Post by stussyboy »

You can see why this never made the Ultimate DVD!
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

canveyboy

#15 Post by canveyboy »

Yes, all 3 of PSB performances of West End girls will not be shown as all episodes were co-presented by Mike Smith. Their debut performance when it reached no.23, then 2 weeks later when it climbed to no.5 then 2 weeks later when it reaches no.1.

Always on my mind will also never be seen again as their debut at no.4 was presented by Smith and the whole of the Xmas 87 episode won’t be shown as Smith co-presented :(

Mike Smith decided not to sign a ‘licence extention’ clearance form thereby refusing the BBC permission to broadcast any episode which he appears in.

Many people have also harassed Mike Smith’s widow on Twitter regarding this and she has had to point out that the decision is nothing to do with her and that the BBC are simply respecting his wishes.

Approx 20 episodes are missing from 1985, 18 for 1986 and about the same for 1987.

A real shame as us fans are missing out on so much music!
Its taken me all of my life to find you