Are we content ?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: Are we content ?

#16 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Autumn next year? So it’s a four year gap between albums with a two year tour inbetween.

They’ve turned into Depeche Mode
is is and isnt isnt

goughsjd

#17 Post by goughsjd »

I’m pretty content but there is so much more they could give us if they wanted to !!we are lucky that they rarely look back which in turn means we get new projects and different styles and fresh ideas ! I do wish and believe they deserved to make a massive deal of Please been 30 years old but I get why they didn’t but if they had that would have been cool ! Anyway I go on... they are awesome and I just hope the music plays for ever !!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Parkol

#18 Post by Parkol »

I just don't want PSB will be as Duran Duran or Erasure... Because no one really waits for Duran Duran or Erasure new albums, only fans. When PSB or DM release their albums - it's in the news always.

Tom Angel

#19 Post by Tom Angel »

Wow - that's a long gap! Hopefully there will be a flurry of album releases at that time - 22 songs is good, and there's plenty still unreleased, etc, Still, it's a long wait, if not the longest there's been.

it's the COMEBACK!
    in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Disco.

#20 Post by Disco. »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
    Sun 05 Aug 2018, 3:41 pm
    Autumn next year? So it’s a four year gap between albums with a two year tour inbetween.

They’ve turned into Depeche Mode
    3 1/2 years to be precise :D

SynthMan Wales

#21 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Tom Angel wrote:
    Sun 05 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm
    Wow - that's a long gap! Hopefully there will be a flurry of album releases at that time - 22 songs is good, and there's plenty still unreleased, etc, Still, it's a long wait, if not the longest there's been.

it's the COMEBACK!
    As long as the eventual album is good, they can take as long as they want.

retrofuturist

#22 Post by retrofuturist »

I think I would be content now.

We wanted them to have another go at something in the vein of Behaviour (i.e. Elysium)
    We wanted another electronic album, mildly Introspective-esque (i.e. Electric)
    We had Super which wasn't particularly great, but probably appreciated by those asking for an EDM album.

... and I'm now wondering what more there is to achieve? Don't get me wrong, I'll be appreciative of anything we get going forth, but as good as their music still is, there's not a lot of charting of new territory. That's not a criticism either, it's just that natural and expected by-product of having done great work for about 35 years.

(Either that or I'm just getting Stuart Price fatigue... that's another very real possibility)

In saying that, I still think there's some "loose ends" to tie up first, and I think it would be tragic if The Man From The Future was never studio recorded and released.

Retro. :)

York Minster

#23 Post by York Minster »

I will not be content until they release some lyics in book form for at least 100 quid. Oh wait....
    And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
    "He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
    "What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
    That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
    Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
    [BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Patrick Bateman

#24 Post by Patrick Bateman »

SynthMan Wales wrote:
    Sun 05 Aug 2018, 11:04 am
    I would like them to certainly control or shape an intended final work, because I think it would be artistically satisfying for long term fans and (probably) PSB themselves.

In part, I think of how good Bowie's Blackstar was in this regard, although I hope PSB's equivalent would be triggered by non-tragic circumstances.
    Neil could write something similar about Brexit.

Markpro

#25 Post by Markpro »

Content is actually a good name for an album...with the remix album "Contentment" as a bonus :)
    I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

SynthMan Wales

#26 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
    Mon 06 Aug 2018, 8:16 am
    SynthMan Wales wrote:
    Sun 05 Aug 2018, 11:04 am
    I would like them to certainly control or shape an intended final work, because I think it would be artistically satisfying for long term fans and (probably) PSB themselves.

In part, I think of how good Bowie's Blackstar was in this regard, although I hope PSB's equivalent would be triggered by non-tragic circumstances.
    Neil could write something similar about Brexit.
    I'd welcome a political album if it were in the vein of Actually - i.e. Not too overt or 'on the nose', but thematically a 'state of the nation' type of social commentary.

For me, PSB are at their best when they accentuate their New Wave leanings over their pure pop ones (at least lyrically).

PopArt

#27 Post by PopArt »

Brilliant topic.

Yes, I am satisfied with their output. Let's face it they have been pretty prolific for over thirty years now. And we have grown up with them. I was 8 when I bought Actually. They have quite literally soundtracked my life and there is a track for almost every moment in life. Their songs and albums continue to reveal themselves to me. Songs I might have discarded in the past find a way of weaving their way into my life. For instance for some reason I have never really liked Introspective that much. Loved the singles. Thought the album was a bit bloated and have barely listened to it for 25 years. Then the other week at a party we put Introspective on and it blew me away. What an amazing record from beginning to end. I have never previously thought that. But for some reason I finally *get* it.

I have a feeling that they will keep going in some shape or form until nature takes its inevitable course. I just think writing songs is so core to who they both now are that I just can't see them one day saying enough is enough. They may well slow down. And I imagine the touring phase of their career will end at some point (possibly sooner rather than later). But I think they will keep writing and producing music until the very end. At least I hope so in any case.

And what fantastic news to hear they have 22 new songs and a new album scheduled for next autumn. I know I have said it before but I hope for a dark, spooky, techno, very electronic record. Think Sad robot world, Some speculation, Brick England, the Richard X mix of The way it used to be and the Real Lies mix of Say it to me. Perhaps some slightly longer songs with more space to breathe. Something autumnal and atmospheric.

And that is then followed in summer 2020 with a short nine or ten track full on pop record to launch their next tour. I don't think I will ever tire of PSB :)
    I'm always waiting...

Danimal

#28 Post by Danimal »

In the "Super" studio diary Neil mentioned three songs they wrote during those sessions which he said they're saving for a "pop" album after they release the third Stuart Price installment. This "pop" album was further mentioned in interviews and it was suggested they would like someone like Jeff Lynne to produce it. Plans often change, but as recent as two years ago at least two further albums were on the drawing board.

londonnoise

#29 Post by londonnoise »

Ooh, next album (or hopefully in 50 albums time)

"Pet Shop Boys
    Retiring"

It works on a few levels :-)

spooky

#30 Post by spooky »

i'm content. my favourite years of the PSB's were from 1984-1990.