The New Album Info Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ghost within this house

Re: The New Album Info Thread

#31 Post by Ghost within this house »

Good to know that the 'Musik' Billie Trix project is happening. Hopefully this siphons off the show tunes and they don't appear on the new album!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

markrobertnolan

#32 Post by markrobertnolan »

I am really disappointed they have said in Annually that they've moved on from the sounds of Electric and Super - as I think they have been jaw dropping reinvention work. I hope they don't pandy too much to the Nannas. There are too many Pet Shop Nannas

Drico One

#33 Post by Drico One »

I thought the most interesting tidbit of information in Annually was Neil revealing a different approach to songwriting:

"Also, we have another way of writing, which has become more common this year of me writing lyrics and handing them to Chris..." - Neil Tennant, Annually 2019

The other nugget of info of note was the admission that they had considered a duet with Tracey Thorn - but opted out of the collaboration when the song they had in mind changed. They also revealed that they do occasionally consider an album of duets - but dismiss the notion on reflection.

While I think it is entirely possible that the new album will be delayed beyond September ("Pet Shop Boys, Belatedly"), there's also a chance that the uncertainty around the release date could just as easily see an earlier release. If they have been recording here in Berlin last November, and following up in Los Angeles, it doesn't seem impossible to complete the record by the summer. Super came out in April 2016 - yet it really dropped in January with the Pop Kids, Inner sanctum, and an initial leak. That said, Neil's eagerness to release Agenda because of the length of time since Super suggests that a delay is more likely than not. All speculation aside, it's also notable how tight-lipped they are about this new album. That's either a deliberate strategy or the result of some confusion about what this record will be.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

TwizzleUK

#34 Post by TwizzleUK »

Wonder if it'll include the track they recorded with Years & Years? Possibly as a lead single to gain extra publicity for the album?

daveid

#35 Post by daveid »

Bulldog wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 1:22 pm
daveid wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm I reckon it might be delayed to Spring 2020.
On what basis? They've already been working on it for a while, haven't they? And wasn't Price supposed to be pretty fast in his work?
Gut feeling based on the language being used. When they say "the plan is for September" and then "we'll see" they are laying the first seeds of delay. Agenda and Musik are stop-gaps. I may be wrong I may be right. Agenda's great and Musik's shite.

jules

#36 Post by jules »

I don't think they will delay. But it's true they are evasive about the new album. I like the pictures in Annually, it gives the feeling of something way more serious or heavy than the 2 previous ones.

Ghost within this house

#37 Post by Ghost within this house »

It is unlike Neil to commit to a month. This gives me hope.

daveid

#38 Post by daveid »

Maybe he said "around September" and it's always been September or October for autumn studio albums.

In fact, if you'll indulge me-
Actually September 87
Introspective October 88
Behaviour October 90
Very September 93
Bilingual September 96
Nightlife October 99
Elysium September 12

If it's not released in the autumn it'll be March or April for sure. Unless they go mad and release it in January!

Danimal

#39 Post by Danimal »

Judging by the timeline, which is similar to the recording of Elysium, it will most likely be in September. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped back in LA after the far east tour to finish it up. It's probably done by now and they've moved on to the art work/PR/release planning stage.

Ghost within this house

#40 Post by Ghost within this house »

Neil confirmed they were heading back to LA to carry on working on the album...

domino

#41 Post by domino »

Pete Gleadall posted a photo on Instagram about Sampling from a Akai Sampler and the track is 18 years old (Release era). In the comment-section you can find a wink from Pete, that the screen shows which song it is.

Among the bars you can find the title: RGR 1971
So a sample from Run Girl Run could be on the next album? :shhh:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Bulldog

#42 Post by Bulldog »

domino wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:17 pm Pete Gleadall posted a photo on Instagram about Sampling from a Akai Sampler and the track is 18 years old (Release era). In the comment-section you can find a wink from Pete, that the screen shows which song it is.

Among the bars you can find the title: RGR 1971
So a sample from Run Girl Run could be on the next album? :shhh:
More likely studio mixes for Musik.

Danimal

#43 Post by Danimal »

It's possible there still could be an announcement in early July and a first single drop in August for a September release as that's how Elysium went, but I'm starting to think they may have more than one collection or set of songs and they're not yet certain what direction this album should go in, even though many if not most of the songs are likely recorded and finished.

Gabby

#44 Post by Gabby »

If we go old school, It's A Sin was released mid-June, and Actually came out the first week of September. Even by today's standards it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect a single release in the next month or so, in time for Hyde Park, and the album release shortly after.

I'm hopeful for some teasery news pretty soon. :pray:

Bulldog

#45 Post by Bulldog »

Most logical thing at this point should be a Musik EP in autumn and album early next year. OS is presenting the Hyde Park as another Super tour date, and to decide strategies they might as well be waiting to see if Musik will be a success. Looks like they want to create some buzz without overlapping too much the different releases. It's tricky...