The New Album Info Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
le petit corbusier

Re: The New Album Info Thread

#571 Post by le petit corbusier »

Future Lover wrote:The album is OUT NOW in New Zealand.
https://www.deezer.com/en/album/128053232
Omg omg
Look left, then right
And run for your life

drunk14

#572 Post by drunk14 »

Some quick guide how to become a Newzealander on Spotify and listen to the record ;)?
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Future Lover

#573 Post by Future Lover »

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

First impressions - I'm... shocked. And somewhat disappointed, but that's easily my fault, I really hyped this.

romy

#574 Post by romy »

@future lover...why shocked?

drunk14

#575 Post by drunk14 »

because disappointed.

Thank you for the link.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Future Lover

#576 Post by Future Lover »

I think my very first impression is that it all sounds so... laboured and difficult. The choruses are simplistic on a number of tracks, and you can definitely tell the lyrics and music were written separately, it's like a collision. The murky sound is also quite noticeable, making it somehow very dated, and the album cover reflects that properly. Listening to lossless via headphones, it was really unlike any experience I've had in a while. It's not an easy listen, somehow, no real obvious hits, sparse on hooks (other than "Monkey business")... but I'm ready for it to grow. "Only the dark" is a very early favorite.
Many have shared this sentiment too, so I think my opinion will shift with many replays. It definitely oscillates between being completely experimental and completely basic.

romy

#577 Post by romy »

@future lover,

it is crazy,all listerners before (critics,journalists etc.) sounds very good and the first "fan-listener" is disappointed...smile

Future Lover

#578 Post by Future Lover »

I'm not even the first person to listen to this. Effen Vida actually had the same experience, if I recall properly.

romy

#579 Post by romy »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 23 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm
I'm not even the first person to listen to this. Effen Vida actually had the same experience, if I recall properly.
yes,he said,that he was in the car,listened it first time,and was "middle happy",but mre and more he listened,he was excited,maybe it is the same on you.

drunk14

#580 Post by drunk14 »

I don't wanna sounds like a The Knife cold synthpop from northern pole. I am not sure about the production. It sounds very cheap, like unfinished demo. Stuart Price must definitely give his way.

Future Lover

#581 Post by Future Lover »

The run from "I don't wanna" to "Only the dark" is pretty great, if not a 10/10 experience.
Serious question, is this what OMD sound like? I'm getting Karl Bartos album vibes, forever stuck in the same loop of sounds.

drunk14

#582 Post by drunk14 »

Said disappointed fan :D Well, the second spin and I love I don't wanna :D It's very catchy, actually. And sometimes you want more raw sound, so the production just makes it more vivid and sharp. It changes all the time. I am lost :)

EDIT: It should be a single, it's evern better than MB.
Last edited by drunk14 on Thu 23 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamie1978

#583 Post by jamie1978 »

You people need to remember it was recorded using a lot of old analogue equipment.

That will give it a certain distinct sound. It won't be clean, digital, hyper-pop like Super.

It's a deliberate sonic choice. Not cheap. A lot of that equipment is rare and very expensive now.

drunk14

#584 Post by drunk14 »

jamie1978, this is something I realize, but when you first push play you don't think in this category. You are a bit confused with the sound and it's old-fashioned style. First, It was like a unfinished demo, but now I get it in 100%. So many emotions around! I like this little pandemonium in my head right now :)

psbfannyc

#585 Post by psbfannyc »

It's really so analogue. Neil is correct...a new dimension to their sound. Chris said today on the Lauren Laverne BBC Radio 6 interview, that while recording at Hansa Studios here in Berlin, that he used many of the vintage analogue synths that he had never even heard of on the album.