New EP in April: Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: New EP on April: Agenda

#16 Post by jasonjohn »

Instantly bought and absorbed the new single, after dwelling on the title for a good while.

Obviously not a hit single, but perfect for the moment in time.

I imagine it being used in some news reels/montages, and I'm guessing that's their intention.

ArtHist

#17 Post by ArtHist »

Getting all the political/social commentary 'stuff' out of their system instead of putting it on the album?

Remark

#18 Post by Remark »

I always loved the concept of this song and the title, and I was *hoping* for something stomping along the lines of Integral and with the fullness of other politically charged tracks similar to the Fundamental era, but alas.... no. :( This is indeed b-side/polished demo material and not the kind of insidious PSB dark and brooding track I was desiring for this... argh.

Don't get me wrong it's a lovely surprise, I just hope the remainder of this EP is of a different calibre. Ordered my 12" already. :dance:

Wish

#19 Post by Wish »

Interesting if all 4 tracks are from forthcoming album or some will be left on this EP.
Probably The Forgotten Child which is from Super session...

Steve Fett

#20 Post by Steve Fett »

Love Love Love it already ! Very catchy though I'm sure most of the 'fans' on here will hate it lol :lol:
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

y3potential

#21 Post by y3potential »

Nothing about it on the official site. Very strange..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

ArtHist

#22 Post by ArtHist »

'Agenda' is a great title and I don't mind the demo-ish sound to '...Stupidity' but the lyrics to that song are trite and adolescent as eff. If they were hoping to ignite intelligent debate about current events with this song then they've failed.

NikacP0kac

#23 Post by NikacP0kac »

Steve Fett wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:41 am
Love Love Love it already ! Very catchy though I'm sure most of the 'fans' on here will hate it lol :lol:
Wow, just because I don't rate it as highly doesn't mean I'm not a proper fan, whatever that means. :mrgreen:

But I guess I shouldn't judge you by your comment right away, because as the boys say in their new single...Give stupidity a chance. :twisted:

If anyone found this in lossless on any of the digital retailers' sites, please let us know!
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

jasonjohn

#24 Post by jasonjohn »

ArtHist wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:48 am
If they were hoping to ignite intelligent debate
I highly doubt they are expecting intelligent debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1nUIN_Vp3c

y3potential

#25 Post by y3potential »

It's very 'Winner-ish' in it's structure but I prefer this and the chorus is catchy. Dare I say it's a grower... Oh Drico, where are you with your thoughts on this..?
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

ArtHist

#26 Post by ArtHist »

jasonjohn wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:51 am
ArtHist wrote:

In which case they should have written another song about dancing.

jasonjohn

#27 Post by jasonjohn »

ArtHist wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm
jasonjohn wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:51 am
ArtHist wrote:

In which case they should have written another song about dancing.
They are well known for writing dance songs not specifically about dancing.
Last edited by jasonjohn on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goughsjd

#29 Post by goughsjd »

PETHEAD72 wrote:
Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:07 am
Strange how this is not on the PSB website yet,i wonder if it's the end of new releases being sold through digital stores now after the debarcle with neil's book.
We can only hope, I hate HAVING to order through them, you know at best it may turn up late or just never turn up and its usually damaged !!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

bookshopboy

#30 Post by bookshopboy »

Pet Shop Boys this week will make available four brand new songs from their new EP “Agenda”. The first song on the EP, “Give stupidity a chance”, can now be listened to on streaming services, download stores and on YouTube and is described by Neil Tennant as “a satirical song about the poor quality of political leadership in the modern world”. Find the song on digital services and YouTube via the links below.

Another song will be made available tomorrow, then one on Thursday and finally the fourth on Friday. The complete EP will be available to purchase via digital services this Friday, February 8.

A CD of “Agenda” is also available to pre-order exclusively with Pet Shop Boys’ once-a-year publication “Annually" which has been announced today and will be published on April 12th. Find out more at the link below. A 12-inch vinyl EP of the four tracks will also be commercially released on April 12th.

Pre-order “Annually” with “Agenda” CD: https://petshopboys.lnk.to/AnnuallyYD
    Pre-order “Agenda” 12-inch vinyl: https://petshopboys.lnk.to/AgendaVinylYD
    Listen to “Give stupidity a chance": https://petshopboys.lnk.to/GSACYD

Discussing the EP, Neil Tennant said: “It contains three satirical songs and one rather sad song. I think it’s because of the times we’re living through.” The four tracks were produced by Tim Powell and Pet Shop Boys and recorded towards the end of last year. They will not be included on Pet Shop Boys’ next album which is being produced by Stuart Price and is due for release in the autumn.

Check back tomorrow for another brand new PSB song.