Musik - Cabaret and EP

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Bulldog

Re: Musik - Cabaret and EP

#199 Post by Bulldog »

"Mongrel" is very late career ABBA. I can imagine Agnetha singing it.

domino

#200 Post by domino »

Bulldog wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 9:18 pm "Mongrel" is very late career ABBA. I can imagine Agnetha singing it.
The day before you came and wrote that, I didn't recognized this.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Drico One

#201 Post by Drico One »

One thing I've particularly enjoyed about this EP is that it's been a chance to reacquaint myself with Chris. In the absence of Neil (at least in vocal terms), my focus has shifted squarely to Chris's techno noodlings. Ich bin Musik is hooktastic and unabashedly full of fun, while For Every Moment captures that exquisite Lowe contradiction of joyous euphoria in the midst of pain. Together, these tracks are a microcosm of his genius, cracks in the blank expressionless visage that allow us to glimpse his soul.

After the fighting form of February's four tracker, Neil is reduced to fondly familiar leitmotifs this time around ("a private agenda", "bury the past"), but Frances Barber is hugely impressive in his absence. She reminds me of Dionne Warwick at times on For Every Moment, her smoky voice full of experience and character, which suits her act rather better than some of the tedious faghaggery that Jonathan Harvey inflicts on her - and us.

I think Friendly Fire has aged well. I've never been a fan, but I admire the craft behind it. Run girl, run is still melodic and cutting. Melody is certainly very present in the other new songs - even though I find Mongrel crass, suffering as it does from the stereotypical fatuousness that plagued the parent musical. Soup is surprisingly catchy, but the production bores me to tears. I prefer my Pet Shop Boys with serotonin.

Overall, I'm beginning to come round to the idea that there's not much wrong with the tunes that comprise Closer to Heaven and now Musik, but trying to advance Harvey's hackneyed and cliched story through song drags them south of the border from arch social observation to banal, vapid obviousness. They seem reduced on this territory.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

daveid

#202 Post by daveid »

I won't be buying this. It's not bad musically but I don't consider it a pukka PSB release.

leesmapman

#203 Post by leesmapman »

If Drico One and Geowayne ever meet, the world would explode

ZiggyPSB

#204 Post by ZiggyPSB »

If Drico One and scienceguy ever meet, a black hole will form and suck up the entire universe.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

joe stalin

#205 Post by joe stalin »

Pete’s just cleared up my question

MUSIK the 6 track EP by Frances Barber as Billie Trix, written by petshopboys . Vocals recorded and all tracks mixed by me😁 Out now to stream and buy.
#mixing #recordingstudio #cabaret #edinburghfestival @ London,… (link: https://www.instagram.com/p/B084STlpQDS ... mty8mx06ei) instagram.com/p/B084STlpQDS/…

joe stalin

#206 Post by joe stalin »

Another review

http://musicaltheatrereview.com/musik-e ... bly-rooms/

So is there actually a ‘cover me with calomine’ Track then ?

joe stalin

#207 Post by joe stalin »

Crikey... this reviewer really loved it

https://www.londontheatre1.com/theatre- ... al-review/

leesmapman

#208 Post by leesmapman »

Wow, it's getting a lot better reviews than CTH got.

Gabby

#209 Post by Gabby »

I hope this will be filmed for a PSB release someday for all those people who cant get to Edinburgh or London to see it.

papierklemmen

#210 Post by papierklemmen »

It hope it's not too strange of a first post lol but is everything alright with Chris? He hasn't appeared in any of the promo for Musik, not even on radio with Graham Norton where you can't potentially see his face (if that's what bothers him). Does that happen often? He always seemed to have been present at least for some of the promo, or was it just my impression...
I'm almost starting to suspect this is some Black MIrror's "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" situiation.