A new decade a new phase: 20's

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

A new decade a new phase: 20's

#1 Post by nickname » Sat 25 May 2019, 9:39 am

- Hit Phase (well known lilke Imperial Phase): basically the 80's, becoming famous with their music.

- Visual Phase: in the 90's, they were exploring much more the visual concept of the duo (on albums, videos, etc)

- Adittional Phase: in the 00's, they were involved into adittional projects (creating a musical, a score, a ballet, etc)

- Live Phase: in the 10's, they went into a deeper concept of concerts and live music.

All these steps have made the PSB's creative world even more complex and rich.

What do you belielve it could be the next step on this new decade or which one would you lilke?. Try not to makes jokes about it and use your mind.

Bulldog

Re: A new decade a new phase: 20's

#2 Post by Bulldog » Sat 25 May 2019, 9:49 am

Two more studio albums after SP trilogy wraps up, selected live shows in England and the Turing thing in between. No more lucrative but creatively pointless world tours, please.

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist » Sat 25 May 2019, 11:16 am

I'm going to hold off until hearing their next full-length album before making any big calls on the 2020's.

I'd be happy with Bulldog's prediction, but Agenda has dinted my optimism. It's one thing to no longer be the Zeitgeist, but another to be drifting in the opposite direction.

Retro. :)

Native

#4 Post by Native » Sat 25 May 2019, 12:11 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 9:49 am
Two more studio albums after SP trilogy wraps up, selected live shows in England and the Turing thing in between. No more lucrative but creatively pointless world tours, please.
How is a world tour pointless - giving fans from Budapest to Budokan the opportunity to see them? Because they aren't setting up stage at the end of your street?

Bulldog

#5 Post by Bulldog » Sat 25 May 2019, 3:59 pm

I think extensive touring doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's ok if fans can catch them more easily than in the past (yes, even Italian fans) but they're basically a studio act, not a rock band with an eye for improvisations and fluid setlists. Live dimension matters for money and fan support but it's hardly their creative core.

Future Lover

#6 Post by Future Lover » Sat 25 May 2019, 4:41 pm

God I hate this forum. Far right anthems and being locked up in a studio dirt poor, that would surely make everyone happy!

Gabby

#7 Post by Gabby » Sat 25 May 2019, 4:55 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 3:59 pm
Live dimension matters for money and fan support but it's hardly their creative core.
I agree with this sentiment despite the fact it saddens me that it could spell the end of being able to see them on stage again. I'd gladly forego a new tour if it meant getting a second imperial phase.

Future Lover

#8 Post by Future Lover » Sat 25 May 2019, 6:14 pm

The second imperial phase will never happen, people. They will never have a hit again. The delusions...

Undertaker

#9 Post by Undertaker » Sat 25 May 2019, 7:03 pm

Hit records dont exist anymore anyway. Nearly everything we grew up with has dissapeared. No more proper top 40. Its just some hashed up list of whats been streamed the most. No more TOTP's, no proper singles packages, no videos.

The charts were dying ages ago and when they allowed that ginger bloke to have all top ten songs, it lost any credibility it still hung onto.

Bulldog

#10 Post by Bulldog » Sat 25 May 2019, 8:14 pm

Gabby wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 4:55 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 3:59 pm
Live dimension matters for money and fan support but it's hardly their creative core.
I agree with this sentiment despite the fact it saddens me that it could spell the end of being able to see them on stage again. I'd gladly forego a new tour if it meant getting a second imperial phase.
I know they're prolific songwriters, but if their inspiration should start waning I don't want them to flog a Kraftwerk-style dead horse forever with tour after tour. FFS, even Florian Schneider got bored and left a decade ago, and calls Kraftwerk a museum thing...
Last edited by Bulldog on Sun 26 May 2019, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

telys

#11 Post by telys » Sat 25 May 2019, 9:58 pm

Sad but true, the 20's might be the last PSB decade. Neil will be 75 in 2029. There will probably be one or two albums in the 20's but I really hope they will start revisiting the past properly with box sets from the archives, boxes full of remixes, outtakes, demos, live versions, pictures and thick commentary booklets. The Further Listening-concept is merely a scratch on the surface.

Imagine if we could get the live version om End of the world.

y3potential

#12 Post by y3potential » Sat 25 May 2019, 10:31 pm

telys wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 9:58 pm
Sad but true, the 20's might be the last PSB decade. Neil will be 75 in 2029. There will probably be one or two albums in the 20's but I really hope they will start revisiting the past properly with box sets from the archives, boxes full of remixes, outtakes, demos, live versions, pictures and thick commentary booklets. The Further Listening-concept is merely a scratch on the surface.

Imagine if we could get the live version om End of the world.
Although that would all be great to have (and I would love to have it all) they are not natural revisionists. They keep moving forward. It would be easy for Neil & Chris to dine out on past glories but it just isn't them. They purposely distance themselves from those 80's festivals that the likes of Human League, Spandau ect appear on and for that alone we should be grateful..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Mark R.Y.

#13 Post by Mark R.Y. » Sun 26 May 2019, 12:51 am

Future Lover wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 4:41 pm
God I hate this forum. Far right anthems and being locked up in a studio dirt poor, that would surely make everyone happy!
Sounds good to me! :wink:

oakey

#14 Post by oakey » Sun 26 May 2019, 3:50 pm

Undertaker wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 7:03 pm
Hit records dont exist anymore anyway. Nearly everything we grew up with has dissapeared. No more proper top 40. Its just some hashed up list of whats been streamed the most. No more TOTP's, no proper singles packages, no videos.
Well, tell that to Rammstein, Adele or Pink. Massive hit songs still exit. It's just that *our* music is not being played anymore. But that's no different from the past. When I grew up in the 1980s, the Rolling Stones did not have hits anymore despite releasing records and touring. And of course PSB will never have a hit record again. In 5 years time, Neil will be 70! Let's just be glad that they are still making music together. They may still have a few more albums left in them.

Arguing that PSB should only do selected shows in the UK is pure Anglocentrism of course. I am happy with the recent tours and enjoy both their albums and live shows very much.
Bulldog wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019, 8:14 pm
I know they're prolific songwriters, but if their inspiration should start waning I don't want them to flog a Kraftwerk-style dead horse forever with tour after tour. FFS, even Florian Schneider got bored and left a decade ago, and calls Kraftwerk a museum thing...
Kraftwerk's last proper album dates back to 1986 when Schneider and Hütter were 40, at a time was when our Boys just started! The 2003 Tour the France album is basically a reworking of an 1983 single. They cannot be compared to PSB in any way in terms of songwriting prolificness.

goughsjd

#15 Post by goughsjd » Sun 26 May 2019, 6:10 pm

The 20s could end been the collaboration period. Producing new acts and collaborating with current Pop acts... Let's start now with Olly from Years & Years!!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19