Pet Shop Boys - Hyde Park Sep 15th 2019

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ArtHist

Re: Pet Shop Boys - Hyde Park Sep 15th 2019

#211 Post by ArtHist »

nickname wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 11:11 am
I think it was a surprise for PSB to see Olly dressing like that. I have the impression Neil was a bit shocked.

But there is nothing wrong with that, we are in 2019 and he can dress like he wants.

If someone says "it is too gay", well it is just an opinion. Neil said the cover of Rent was "too hetero (or straight)". Homophobia?, well it depends. If you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean you hate this thing.
We're going to need some sort of barometer to establish just exactly what 'too gay' means! Olly just looked like he'd raided the Erasure dressing up trunk. Nothing new in what he wore. It's like Bowie's Starman TOTP appearance- but 40 years later and a whole lot less earth shattering.

Sage

#212 Post by Sage »

People said the live version of Dreamland sounds better than the single, but I can't stand the added backup singer's vocals. I don't know which person it is, but it has a nails-on-chalkboard type sound. Sort of like a raspy asthma voice. Ruins the live album for me too by the way.
They should get a new crew.
Also for Dreamland it seemed like Olly's microphone was having issues and cutting out. He performed well but you can't hear it. It's really a shame after all of that build up to having a special guest.
I think Neil is singing to a backing track that's over-encompassing his voice. You can hear the second voice and it's exactly the same as the single.
I haven't really watched the rest of the performance, difficult to see outside of the UK. I've been fiddling with VPNs and proxies for hours, finally got one working but the connection is so bad I can barely make out any detail from the grainy image.

What does everyone think about this set being the next world tour?
I really would expect for PSB to scrap all of the Super tour material after the release of Inner Sanctum. Why perform the same tour for so long? Scrap it all. New mixes, new stage musicians. (I don't like how animated Christina Hizon is, she looks foolish!)
Surely they won't be holding onto these mixes after the new album is out? This performance has to be once-off in between the new concept.

What happened to the hat showcase? From what I've seen it's the same one hat.
I guess they're holding that off for the real tour, which is somewhat understandable but still a bit disappointing.

NikacP0kac

#213 Post by NikacP0kac »

Sage wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 1:19 pm
I've been fiddling with VPNs and proxies for hours, finally got one working but the connection is so bad I can barely make out any detail from the grainy image.
Get the Beebs extension for Chrome, it works like a charm.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

ZiggyPSB

#214 Post by ZiggyPSB »

About Olly's outfit. Its nothing I haven't seen before in a musical setting. It reminds me of George Michael in that Freeek video. Lady Gaga during the PSB Brits medley ten years ago would have turned a few heads in much the same way. I'm sure Pet Shop Boys themselves have looked ridiculous when performing a public concert in their time. Its the right place for a spectacle,

I'm pretty sure though that Olly doesn't go around doing his shopping or go to the post office looking like that.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

TwizzleUK

#215 Post by TwizzleUK »

Interesting that the arrangements of Heart, Suburbia and WHIDTDS we reused from the Pandemonium tour from ten years ago. Guess it was a straightforward way to quickly add a few more early hits into the set.

Nickname

#216 Post by Nickname »

Sage wrote: People said the live version of Dreamland sounds better than the single, but I can't stand the added backup singer's vocals. I don't know which person it is, but it has a nails-on-chalkboard type sound. Sort of like a raspy asthma voice. Ruins the live album for me too by the way.
They should get a new crew.
Also for Dreamland it seemed like Olly's microphone was having issues and cutting out. He performed well but you can't hear it. It's really a shame after all of that build up to having a special guest.
I think Neil is singing to a backing track that's over-encompassing his voice. You can hear the second voice and it's exactly the same as the single.
I haven't really watched the rest of the performance, difficult to see outside of the UK. I've been fiddling with VPNs and proxies for hours, finally got one working but the connection is so bad I can barely make out any detail from the grainy image.

What does everyone think about this set being the next world tour?
I really would expect for PSB to scrap all of the Super tour material after the release of Inner Sanctum. Why perform the same tour for so long? Scrap it all. New mixes, new stage musicians. (I don't like how animated Christina Hizon is, she looks foolish!)
Surely they won't be holding onto these mixes after the new album is out? This performance has to be once-off in between the new concept.

What happened to the hat showcase? From what I've seen it's the same one hat.
I guess they're holding that off for the real tour, which is somewhat understandable but still a bit disappointing.
Of course, they are going to change everything for the new tour and the new PSB's era which starts with the new album.

ArtHist

#217 Post by ArtHist »

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 1:31 pm
I'm sure Pet Shop Boys themselves have looked ridiculous when performing a public concert in their time. Its the right place for a spectacle,
Whatever could you mean?! :? :wink:
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Kiran

#218 Post by Kiran »

ZiggyPSB wrote:
I'm pretty sure though that Olly doesn't go around doing his shopping or go to the post office looking like that.
There is a big push to stop buying clothes to help the environment. I'm sure he will be maximizing usage of yesterday's outfit.
I rule. You don't.

ZiggyPSB

#219 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Kiran wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 2:20 pm
ZiggyPSB wrote:
There is a big push to stop buying clothes to help the environment. I'm sure he will be maximizing usage of yesterday's outfit.
Pretty sure it wasn't cheap. Get your moneys worth. :wink:
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

PETHEAD72

#220 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Neil and chris were impeccably dressed as always, :up: :up: :up:
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Scottydog

#221 Post by Scottydog »

tucky101 wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 12:23 pm
Watched it on the telly

Is it just me that thought Dreamland sounded absolutely bloody awful?
Yes. It was just you 😉
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Debussy

#222 Post by Debussy »

Scottydog wrote:
tucky101 wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 12:23 pm
Watched it on the telly

Is it just me that thought Dreamland sounded absolutely bloody awful?
Yes. It was just you Image
I also thought the vocals on Dreamland sounded awful, especially Olly. Sounded like he was way our his vocal range.

Yet Saturday night with just Neil's vocal was fantastic.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

spooky

#223 Post by spooky »

Sage wrote:
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 1:19 pm
I don't like how animated Christina Hizon is, she looks foolish!
i like Christina, and i don't knock her on her stage presence.

PETHEAD72

#224 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Christina is gorgeous!

PETHEAD72

#225 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Was great to see chris with a big smile on his face as well, :up: