Neil Tennant in conversation, Saturday 5 October 2019, RNCM Theatre

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Re: Neil Tennant in conversation, Saturday 5 October 2019, RNCM Theatre

#91 Post by Bulldog » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:50 am

It'd be a logical step, I assume they'd want to something more guitar-oriented after working with SP (even though he worked with New Order as well). Having said that, in my opinion Electronic were an interesting idea to begin with, then they got a bit bland with later albums.
Last edited by Bulldog on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zenorac

#92 Post by zenorac » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 1:03 pm

Listening back to the event, I found one of the most interesting things Neil said was that having a smartphone in his pocket is probably why they've been so "prolific" in recent years. He mentioned that he probably had lots of ideas for songs before owning one that he just didn't take note of and then forgot about.
"Let's enjoy it all, while it lasts."

Future Lover

#93 Post by Future Lover » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 1:27 pm

Amazing for us, G*d bless smartphones!
Anyway, where can we listen to the event?

Effen Vida

#94 Post by Effen Vida » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 3:35 pm

For me, one of the most heartening things I took away from the talk (I was there, too), was that Neil made reference to saving an idea for one of their future albums. Think he was talking about cities, or place names or something. But...'future albums'. Yay.

daveid

#95 Post by daveid » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm

I wonder if the name of the new tour is a sign that it might be their last..? They are now both in their 60s and they may feel that their time is better spent in the studio. I know touring is where all the money is these days but that's no good if you're not up to it any more

jamie1978

#96 Post by jamie1978 » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

McCartney toured at 76. Provided they can perform on stage and enjoy it, they may have another 10 years or so of touring left in them.

Nicholas

#97 Post by Nicholas » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 5:01 pm

daveid wrote:
Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm
I wonder if the name of the new tour is a sign that it might be their last..? They are now both in their 60s and they may feel that their time is better spent in the studio. I know touring is where all the money is these days but that's no good if you're not up to it any more
The greatest hits tour concept is just a [successful, it seems] marketing angle. If you’re going to stop performing altogether, you announce it from the off and promote the tour as such so everyone will eat it up even more. Even if you have another two farewell tours over the following decade. No point whatsoever in planning a final tour and being subtle about it.

Drico One

#98 Post by Drico One » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:29 pm

I really don't get the apparent anxiety about their continued existence any more than I get the bizarre notion that an Electronic album is in any way, shape, or form a more exciting proposition than the new Pet Shop Boys album that we're yet to hear.

Pet Shop Boys are eternal in pop terms. The charts no longer apply their rules of longevity to them like they did many of their contemporaries. They are one of the tiny handful of acts who become bigger as a live proposition the more commercially irrelevant they become. In short, they've long since entered the pop afterlife where they effectively live forever.

Sure, one day they'll have to stop - but that's likely to be because of an act of God rather than having a new album flop. I could understand these discussions back in 1991 or, especially, 1999. But really, since then it's generally been one triumph after another: Glastonbury, Potemkin, Fundamental, The Brits, Glastonbury again, The Olympics, Leaving, Electric, Salford, Hyde Park...

More than anything else, they've had the ultimate ironic vindication in becoming the synth-pop Pink Floyd, waddling pompously around the world like an overweight middle-aged man. They are now a huge live attraction. They're not going anywhere - except to an arena near you.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

psbfannyc

#99 Post by psbfannyc » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:40 pm

Drico One wrote:
Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:29 pm
I really don't get the apparent anxiety about their continued existence any more than I get the bizarre notion that an Electronic album is in any way, shape, or form a more exciting proposition than the new Pet Shop Boys album that we're yet to hear.

Pet Shop Boys are eternal in pop terms. The charts no longer apply their rules of longevity to them like they did many of their contemporaries. They are one of the tiny handful of acts who become bigger as a live proposition the more commercially irrelevant they become. In short, they've long since entered the pop afterlife where they effectively live forever.

Sure, one day they'll have to stop - but that's likely to be because of an act of God rather than having a new album flop. I could understand these discussions back in 1991 or, especially, 1999. But really, since then it's generally been one triumph after another: Glastonbury, Potemkin, Fundamental, The Brits, Glastonbury again, The Olympics, Leaving, Electric, Salford, Hyde Park...

More than anything else, they've had the ultimate ironic vindication in becoming the synth-pop Pink Floyd, waddling pompously around the world like an overweight middle-aged man. They are now a huge live attraction. They're not going anywhere - except to an arena near you.

Drico.
Ja...hopefully Tempodrom Berlin next year!

agent doris

#100 Post by agent doris » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 8:30 pm

Basically the reason they are doing a greatest hits tour, is that they like it when everyone sings along! No other agenda...

leesmapman

#101 Post by leesmapman » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:38 pm

jamie1978 wrote:
Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm
McCartney toured at 76. Provided they can perform on stage and enjoy it, they may have another 10 years or so of touring left in them.
Sparks are still touring. One of the best times I had two years ago. John Carpenter last year was another highlight. And I've been to countless Jean-Michel Jarre concerts.

CroMagnon

#102 Post by CroMagnon » Thu 10 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm

... and let’s face it, for PSB to perform live, there are very few physical requirements of them:

Neil: the ability to slap thighs and lift hands to the heavens while walking across the stage
Chris: the ability to stand up (optionally) and move hands on keyboard

Although much has changed in PSB live performances since 1989 - they enjoy it a lot more than they used to, for one thing! - PSB shows still fundamentally happen ‘around them’. Their shows have always been about the spectacle of great music, lighting, video, choreography and IDEAS coming together, rather than them as Jagger-style showmen. For a pair of older gentlemen looking to perform into their 60s and 70s, this is a good thing.

And in the great tour of 2035, Neil could always bring back the Performance wheelchair for another outing of ‘So Sorry I Said’

:)
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

jasonjohn

#103 Post by jasonjohn » Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

lol, you're right - neil has made sitting down quite an art form.

daveid

#104 Post by daveid » Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:05 am

CroMagnon wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm
... and let’s face it, for PSB to perform live, there are very few physical requirements of them:

Neil: the ability to slap thighs and lift hands to the heavens while walking across the stage
Brilliant.

Would be interesting if they did the Nightlife version of Being boring now to see how long it takes him to fall on the floor during the gap between verses 2 and 3. Not to mention get up again. Wouldn't be pretty.

Nicholas

#105 Post by Nicholas » Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:32 am

leesmapman wrote:
Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:38 pm
jamie1978 wrote:
Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm
Sparks are still touring. One of the best times I had two years ago. John Carpenter last year was another highlight. And I've been to countless Jean-Michel Jarre concerts.
Sparks are SENSATIONAL live. Russell Mael was right on the cusp of 70 last time I saw them perform and he was springing about all over the place. Ron looks slightly older and frailer but he still does his trademark grinny-skippy-swingy-arm thing in the encore and it’s terrifying but brilliant. PSB are [a few] years younger AND they barely have to lift a finger. Especially if they wear the right hats.