Shorter songs - Annoying

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Shorter songs - Annoying

#1 Post by telys » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

Is this a trend, a new standard we have to get used to.

I don't like all tracks from Electric but what I do liked was the longer songs. Then with Super the songs got shorter and not only that, I got the feeling they were cut shorter. There was so much music in the songs that they deserved to be 6 minutes long.

Now with Agenda and Musik this trend continues. Short songs, some barely 3 minutes long. I find it annoying. Probably somebody might publish their own extended mixes on Youtube but it's not the same as a proper PSB-release.

I guess it's the dream of another Introspective or a resurgence of the good old 12'' mixes from the 80's... Nevertheless it's annoying.

ArtHist

Re: Shorter songs - Annoying

#2 Post by ArtHist » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:03 am

Would have preferred the Agenda songs to be shorter than that. Ringtone duration would suffice.

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:04 am

Songs have always been 3 minutes. It's because of the limitation of the bearer, the 7".
Look at Very. All songs are around the 3 or 4 minute mark with the exception of Go West and The Theater.

Electric is PSB's Introspective of the 2010s imho.

jasonjohn

#4 Post by jasonjohn » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:55 am

They've talked before about their love of producing albums of 3-4 minute pop singles.

They mix it up of course, but overwhelmingly that is their format.

Marie loves PSB

#5 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 11:09 am

telys wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 9:44 am
Is this a trend, a new standard we have to get used to.

I don't like all tracks from Electric but what I do liked was the longer songs. Then with Super the songs got shorter and not only that, I got the feeling they were cut shorter. There was so much music in the songs that they deserved to be 6 minutes long.

Now with Agenda and Musik this trend continues. Short songs, some barely 3 minutes long. I find it annoying. Probably somebody might publish their own extended mixes on Youtube but it's not the same as a proper PSB-release.

I guess it's the dream of another Introspective or a resurgence of the good old 12'' mixes from the 80's... Nevertheless it's annoying.
I think this too of Electric but Super is Super short! lol.. :down: I mean I would not like a track to drag on for too long but, lately this isn't good (IMO) and why all the sudden change?

telys

#6 Post by telys » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 11:54 am

leesmapman wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:04 am
Songs have always been 3 minutes. It's because of the limitation of the bearer, the 7".
Look at Very. All songs are around the 3 or 4 minute mark with the exception of Go West and The Theater.

Electric is PSB's Introspective of the 2010s imho.
Yes but Very is of a very different genre, pop songs with a structure. Super and post-Super are dense disco-songs where even the untrained ear can hear that there is room for at least a minute or two of extra length.

I wouldn't normally... on the other hand was way too short on the album, the 7'' had the right length.

ryancannell

#7 Post by ryancannell » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm

It's a trend across pop music, and apparently it's all to do with the effect of streaming https://fortune.com/2019/01/17/shorter-songs-spotify/

telys

#8 Post by telys » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 3:50 pm

ryancannell wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm
It's a trend across pop music, and apparently it's all to do with the effect of streaming https://fortune.com/2019/01/17/shorter-songs-spotify/
I'm constantly amazed over how society leaps into stupidity in all areas.

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 6:46 pm

telys wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 3:50 pm
ryancannell wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm
I'm constantly amazed over how society leaps into stupidity in all areas.
Give stupidity a chance

Bjossi

#10 Post by Bjossi » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 6:52 pm

I'm with stupid.

Old Soak

#11 Post by Old Soak » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm

Streaming, meh. Its the equivalent of claiming to be a Man United fan but never having gone to the ground, just watch them on TV. A second class, second hand experience. You are a fan through collecting. Streaming should never count towards charts in a month if Sundays. Instant gratification kids of today miss out on the thrill of the chase.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

jasonjohn

#12 Post by jasonjohn » Wed 14 Aug 2019, 9:36 am

telys wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 11:54 am
Yes but Very is of a very different genre, pop songs with a structure. Super and post-Super are dense disco-songs where even the untrained ear can hear that there is room for at least a minute or two of extra length.

I wouldn't normally... on the other hand was way too short on the album, the 7'' had the right length.
There are no albums post-Super. You're confusing your want with reality :) . The EP was shorter songs, and not especially disco.

Very wasn't the first or last album of mostly 3-4 minute tracks. Please, Actually, Behaviour, Release, Bilingual, Nightlife, Elysium, Yes, Fundy.... the great majority!

I predict the last Price album will match Electric in format..... which will be fun, but they wont return to that format for a while, imo.

Danimal

#13 Post by Danimal » Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:43 am

I'm in total agreement with shorter songs being irritating; there's no time to explore the track and the components that compose it. If one goes back to Please, Actually, and Behavior many, if not most of the tracks were in the four to six minute range. Even most of PSB's singles and b-sides from that era meant for 7"s were four to five minutes long. I've been thinking part of the change is the switch back to vinyl as a main format, but a seeming attempt to simultaneously keep the number of album tracks common to the longer form CD the same. In the vinyl age most albums were seven to ten tracks long with CDs more commonly being twelve or more. Where most vinyl LPs clock in at 40 to 45 minutes, CD format albums routinely came in at 47 to 60 minutes. I've noticed that post 2013 we've seen albums return to that shorter 40 to 45 minute length, but still containing 11 or 12 tracks, resulting in mainly three minute songs. As I've gotten older I find myself enjoying shorter albums as I think an hour is too long for most albums unless the quality is really high or the concept carries it through as is the case with The Cure's Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me or Disintegration or Prince's 1999 or Sign O' the Times, but these albums are exceptions and not the rule. Very Relentless did this successfully by packaging two quite different albums with different concepts together. I've been listening to a lot of New Order's 80s output lately and those albums were about 40 minutes each, all containing some longer tracks, but the track counts were only seven to nine per.

jasonjohn

#14 Post by jasonjohn » Wed 14 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm

Well I doubt they're going to do anything other than what they want to do.

Last Price will have epic length songs, don't worry. If not all, in the same vein as Electric.

After that, a return to a mixture, I recon. Fundamental had some longer songs, but more focused on story telling than, say, an extended Electric.

tottenhammattspurs

#15 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Wed 14 Aug 2019, 4:24 pm

Old Soak wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm
Streaming, meh. Its the equivalent of claiming to be a Man United fan but never having gone to the ground, just watch them on TV. A second class, second hand experience. You are a fan through collecting. Streaming should never count towards charts in a month if Sundays. Instant gratification kids of today miss out on the thrill of the chase.
Can’t do Sundays. They changed the chart rundown to Fridays... 😉
is is and isnt isnt