September single...???

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: September single...???

#196 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

E-Mail Vampire wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 3:39 pm
jamie1978 wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 3:05 pm
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 2:33 pm
I am sure on their radio interview this morning they said the single is out now. - Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could find a cd single of it please? I cannot seem to find it. :? I don't really like downloads. :down:
Releasing 'CD singles' in 2019 is pretty much on a par with releasing a wax cylinder version.

It ain't gonna sell. No-one buys them anymore.

Sorry but I think that asking about a CD single/physical format is perfectly valid. Neil and Chris have yet to abandon the format. They could have easily done so after leaving Parlophone but since being with Kolbalt/x2 they have had physical CD/vinyl singles.
I would be shocked/surprised/saddened/disappointed if website only physicals for Dreamland don’t happen/get announced soon.
Pretty sure there will be physical cd single of some description. They can shift 3000 odd from us hardcore fans so that justifies production. Plus they are still a fan of physical formats.

I fully expect the album to be LP, CD, special edition CD, Stream, Download, Cassette and some sort of “box” set.
is is and isnt isnt

Spittingcat

#197 Post by Spittingcat »

I just played this again … and as soon as it finished, I heard it start up again on the radio of a builder across the street. That’s unusual. They’ve got something right about this release…

PSB-90

#198 Post by PSB-90 »

I think it's great and sounds relevant and modern. Also, the intro sounds like Hold that sucker down by OT Quartet which makes it a winner for me right away.
Totally does, thanks for that, it was really bugging me what it was! I get a bit of Michael Nyman myself.

LOVING the video btw, really clever a la On Social Media.

lucienchardon

#199 Post by lucienchardon »

PSB-90 wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 5:59 pm
I think it's great and sounds relevant and modern. Also, the intro sounds like Hold that sucker down by OT Quartet which makes it a winner for me right away.
Totally does, thanks for that, it was really bugging me what it was! I get a bit of Michael Nyman myself.

LOVING the video btw, really clever a la On Social Media.
I agree, the lyric video is great, I love it too.

jamie1978

#200 Post by jamie1978 »

Spittingcat wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 5:49 pm
I just played this again … and as soon as it finished, I heard it start up again on the radio of a builder across the street. That’s unusual. They’ve got something right about this release…
A friend (non-PSB fan) just messaged me to ask if i'd heard the 'amazing new PSB song' - which has never happened before...

james23_uk

#201 Post by james23_uk »

TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 4:53 pm

P.S. Dreamworld, the greatest hits tour is either the farewell tour or a completely shameless money grab.
I think they would have already stated it as a farewell tour if that was their intention.
at rock bottom :wall:

Ewok

#202 Post by Ewok »

Strong chorus, but the production is weak...again.

This high singing also becomes a bit annoying after a few listens.

jamie1978

#203 Post by jamie1978 »

"production is weak"... do you know what production is?

I think you mean "the sound is not to my taste" - this song has been very strongly produced

romy

#204 Post by romy »

Nr .1 on Itunes in....surprise,surprise -Chile

NotInvisible

#205 Post by NotInvisible »

Weakest lead single in quite a while IMO. Nothing about it is working for me.

PopArt

#206 Post by PopArt »

It sounds very contemporary. To the extent that it almost doesn't sound like PSB. And it's catchy as hell. Not a bad first single. But right now to me it's nowhere near as good as Vocal or The Pop Kids.
I'm always waiting...

rashomon

September single...???

#207 Post by rashomon »

So I’ve been sucked in now after a few listens on my earbuds ...

I was a bit lukewarm on first listen via radio airplay yesterday but I’m really getting into this now. Ticked up from a 7/10 to an 8/10 for me now

- Loving that chunky descending baseline - definitely all Chris

- Loving the refrain sung first by Olly and then Neil - ‘Dreamland is a free land / kiss me, hold me / take my hand’

- Loving the tinkly melody playing through the track

- Loving the Olly vocals as a complement to Neil. Wasn’t sure initially but he brings a soulful sounding warmth to the song

- NOT loving Neil’s delivery of the word ‘Far’ in the first verse ... strange auto tune effect on that for no apparent reason

- I’m not sure the chorus is the strongest part of the track but it’s functional ... does Neil even sing during the chorus? I think now which is why it feels more like a Years
and Years number.

In general there’s a lot going on through the track which makes it whizz by ... I expect the album version will allow the various elements to breathe more and I think It should be reappraised by those that really don’t like this song.

Oh and it’s crying out for some remixes also. There’s definitely a house remix waiting in the shadows

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

retrofuturist

#208 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
rashomon wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 9:07 am
In general there’s a lot going on through the track which makes it whizz by ... I expect the album version will allow the various elements to breathe more and I think It should be reappraised by those that really don’t like this song.
Someone else said you can tell from the meta-data on the iTunes release that this is track 4/10 from the album.... which suggests to me that this is the album version.

Retro. :)

Nicholas

#209 Post by Nicholas »

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 10:03 am
Greetings,
rashomon wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 9:07 am
Someone else said you can tell from the meta-data on the iTunes release that this is track 4/10 from the album.... which suggests to me that this is the album version.

Retro. :)
Strongly suspect that a 10-track album will see a few of the other songs reach a decent length even if this one doesn’t. Otherwise the whole thing will end up being barely half an hour long.

Bulldog

#210 Post by Bulldog »

Electric had 8 tracks and Super 12, thus 10 tracks could mean a compromise between the two directions. But if there's no title/official tracklist yet things could still change.

At the moment it looks like the album won't bring anything radically new to the table, though, so my money's on something slightly more consistent than Super but not quite at the Electric level.