Rate "Dreamland"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate "Dreamland"

5%
12%
26%
18%
15%
10%
3%
6%
2,1, 0
6%

Total votes: 125

rashomon

Re: Rate "Dreamland"

#106 Post by rashomon »

When humming this track ....

the ‘Dreamland’ shout in the chorus sometimes goes into ‘Call Me’ by Blondie

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

onzio

#107 Post by onzio »

I don't know why but it remembers me of Anastascia: I'm Outta Love.
Doesn't sound similar, but after the chorus I start singing "let me free, and take me out of this misery"
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

daveid

Re: Rate

#108 Post by daveid »

rashomon wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 7:24 am When humming this track ....

the ‘Dreamland’ shout in the chorus sometimes goes into ‘Call Me’ by Blondie

That's true

Philby2

#109 Post by Philby2 »

onzio wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 9:14 am I don't know why but it remembers me of Anastascia: I'm Outta Love.
Doesn't sound similar, but after the chorus I start singing "let me free, and take me out of this misery"
Me too

le petit corbusier

#110 Post by le petit corbusier »

It has a sort of modern r'n'b flair. At first I thought it would suit Justin Timberlake.

Even if I recognize strong psb qualities in it, like that ominous dark choir in the backing track,I'm still unsure wether I like it or not.

In that Interview before the concert, they explain it's about refugees, so it's a bit like the flipside of the coin of Fugitive. Classic escapist psb lyrics with different meanings depending on the observer. But now the hidden meaning isn't the gay theme, but the political one, on the contrary of their 80s songs.

As others have said, it can reminisce of other psb songs, from The way it used to be to Thursday , which already felt similar to West End girls, or West End Girls itself.

It's clear they are trying to get a hit with it, but with such a safe sound I think it needed something else to finish the track. I don't know what, a weirder break, rawer synths or whatever. Having said that, I agree it's very catchy.

Look left, then right
And run for your life

TotallyPSB

#111 Post by TotallyPSB »

I was truly excited to hear it on BBC Radio 2 for its first play.
it's short, poppy and joyous. Great combination for a late summer single
The production is a little smothery but I quite like it and there are some light little synth touches in the 2nd verse which I really like.
I look forward to some extended versions/remixes.
I do hope it's not an indicator of the album. I really hope for some light and shade, and frankly, I don't want another Electric/Super album. Maybe a new producer into the future. Why not give Brian Eno a go!

Bulldog

#112 Post by Bulldog »

Still not sold on it. If I want to listen to cheesy and inoffensive disco I'll listen to Tavares.

dbaseboy

#113 Post by dbaseboy »

The more I hear it, the more and more I’m loving it. Really liked The Forgotten Child and Ich Bin Musik and this is just adding another dimension to their musical creativity and talent. I for one hope the album has a similar vein but... also a touch of old school Behaviour and Actually.

NikacP0kac

#114 Post by NikacP0kac »

I'd like the album to be a bit heavier bass-wise, this is a bit too vanilla compared to Electric or Super.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

dbaseboy

#115 Post by dbaseboy »

Actually @Nikac, I’ve always felt that they’ve never given enough heavy bass. There’s been the odd tracks of course but have often wished that there was more oomph in the early days, especially on the dancier numbers. Even Was it worth it only had that break with a heavy bass. But... I think this track is being unfairly criticised in that all the feedback I’ve had from the ‘younger’ generation is that it’s the most ‘current’ sounding song for years!

Nickname

Re: Rate

#116 Post by Nickname »

le petit corbusier wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 2:55 pm It has a sort of modern r'n'b flair. At first I thought it would suit Justin Timberlake.

Even if I recognize strong psb qualities in it, like that ominous dark choir in the backing track,I'm still unsure wether I like it or not.

In that Interview before the concert, they explain it's about refugees, so it's a bit like the flipside of the coin of Fugitive. Classic escapist psb lyrics with different meanings depending on the observer. But now the hidden meaning isn't the gay theme, but the political one, on the contrary of their 80s songs.

As others have said, it can reminisce of other psb songs, from The way it used to be to Thursday , which already felt similar to West End girls, or West End Girls itself.

It's clear they are trying to get a hit with it, but with such a safe sound I think it needed something else to finish the track. I don't know what, a weirder break, rawer synths or whatever. Having said that, I agree it's very catchy.

I think the same.

1) When I listen to the song, Justin Timberlake comes to my mind. Which is not a bad thing, he is a good singer.

2) With The Sodom and Gomorrah Show, I'm with Stupid happened the same. And yes, the gay theme is now the most obvious and the hidden talks about politics.

3) If PSB wanted a hit, not a good thing to write about a gay relationship between an old man and a young guy. :mrgreen:

Drico One

#117 Post by Drico One »

Jesus wept.

If people want to interpret it like that, that’s very much their prerogative - and it’s as valid as any other interpretation. But as there are so many themes at play in this fascinating song, it’s remarkable that you would highlight this interpretation as in some way diminishing.

One of the marvels of the modern world is how so many Pet Shop Boys songs individually contain different subtexts open to interpretation, providing a blank canvas on to which the listener projects his or her own emotions. This is a classic case in point. Dreamland is a present-day Go West, as political as it is sexual. The political subtext is hiding - if we can even say that because it’s holding a big neon sign above it’s head while shouting out of a megaphone - in plain sight. The fascination is in determining if this is a love letter to Berlin, a refugee’s travelogue, a desire to escape grim reality, or a reaction to impending loss on departure from the European Union. Or all of these things - and more - at once.

I mentioned my interpretations of the song last week, and it’s the depth of this superficially slight songwriting that makes Pet Shop Boys eternally compulsive listening for me. But yeah, Neil and Olly make a nice couple.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Nickname

#118 Post by Nickname »

Drico One wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019, 10:07 am Jesus wept.

If people want to interpret it like that, that’s very much their prerogative - and it’s as valid as any other interpretation. But as there are so many themes at play in this fascinating song, it’s remarkable that you would highlight this interpretation as in some way diminishing.

Watching the performance in the Hyde Park, it is the most obvious interpretation casual people and even fans can give to the song. I don't see any reference to refugees on it. :lol:

Drico One

#119 Post by Drico One »

Well, seeing as most people are morons, I bow to your superior insight and experience on this matter.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#120 Post by y3potential »

Just heard Dreamland on Radio 2. Sounds great..! I keep hearing Misfit by Curiosity Killed The Cat in the chorus though.. That's not entirely a bad thing..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.