Rate "Dreamland"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate "Dreamland"

5%
12%
26%
18%
15%
10%
3%
6%
2,1, 0
6%

Total votes: 125

onzio

Re: Rate "Dreamland"

#61 Post by onzio »

Well, as my 7 years old daughter said: "It's nice".
That's it. The production is standard PSB, already heard several times, the chorus is catchy and it is danceable.
Quit good, the lyrics are also standard PSB, Dreamland is quite obvuoisly a person, and Homeland is going to be cheated.
If we stretch it a little bit, as a duet, it could be intended as a trip on the gay side for a married man. But not exclusively.

After the "new single" euphoria it will be accepted as a 6

The Pop Kids was musically simple too and had also thet "already heard feeeling" but the "I loved you" buried in the past made the song.
The melancholy that comes from it makes that song a real PSB moment, also the story told is more interesting and detailed as the one sung in Dreamland.

So, I'll wait for the new album, but for me today Electric is still dominating the x2 era.
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

MartinWright66

#62 Post by MartinWright66 »

I was on the verge of giving it an 8, but dropped it down to a 7 ("new single" euphoria as onzio mentioned). It reminds of a mix of miserabilism and Did You See Me Coming.

Lush

Re: Rate

#63 Post by Lush »

daveid wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 10:34 am
Exactly. People are confusing infectious beat and the fact that it's new with it being a great song. Sure it may make your toes tap and your knees jiggle but so does St. Vitus dance. It doesn't even sound like a PSB song. It sounds the same as everything else does now, a song by someone or other but with Uncle Neil wheeled in to give it some stamp of legitimacy.
So, people whose opinion on this song differs from yours are confusing things? They don't REALLY like it, but they have been fooled into thinking they do by the "infectious beat and the fact it's new"?

What an insufferable, condescending t*** you are.
"Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with due respect remind you that Mister Vandemar and myself burned down the City of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monastery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional." - Mr Croup

Disco.

#64 Post by Disco. »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:47 am I can understand people not liking that they’ve released a contemporary pop song featuring a contemporary pop act to promote an album and world tour.

I find it less logical to keep expecting PSB to release another It’s a Sin in 2019.
Yes, to many people are stuck in the past, can only be thankful that Neil and Chris are not that would be sad.

Kiran

#65 Post by Kiran »

Lush wrote:
Exactly. People are confusing infectious beat and the fact that it's new with it being a great song. Sure it may make your toes tap and your knees jiggle but so does St. Vitus dance. It doesn't even sound like a PSB song. It sounds the same as everything else does now, a song by someone or other but with Uncle Neil wheeled in to give it some stamp of legitimacy.
So, people whose opinion on this song differs from yours are confusing things? They don't REALLY like it, but they have been fooled into thinking they do by the "infectious beat and the fact it's new"?

To be fair, he was replying to my comment about scoring. So do you feel this new song is as good as their hits from the 80s and early 90s?
I rule. You don't.

gehegu

#66 Post by gehegu »

Sorry guys, I know that many of you think the lyrics might tell about the obvious state of sleeping and others think It’s about a person. IMHO this lyrics are again politically related. Sentences like: you don’t need a visa...I’m tired of my homeland...they say it’s a free land and they welcome everyone to STAY...staying forever leaving all our worries behind...you can come and go and still be here...and the fact that they’ve recorded the track in Berlin along with the video in a tube station there made me think there’s much more in the lyrics than we initially thought. Of course I could be wrong, but that’s my guess...

gehegu

#67 Post by gehegu »

Of course dreamland wouldn’t be the UE but the utopia of the perfect relationship between nations...

Nicholas

#68 Post by Nicholas »

gehegu wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:35 pm Sorry guys, I know that many of you think the lyrics might tell about the obvious state of sleeping and others think It’s about a person. IMHO this lyrics are again politically related. Sentences like: you don’t need a visa...I’m tired of my homeland...they say it’s a free land and they welcome everyone to STAY...staying forever leaving all our worries behind...you can come and go and still be here...and the fact that they’ve recorded the track in Berlin along with the video in a tube station there made me think there’s much more in the lyrics than we initially thought. Of course I could be wrong, but that’s my guess...
I read it as similar - a nice escapist fantasy for the modern Brit who really wants all the populism and nationalism and toxic binary politics to f*** off and just have people co-operating again. We seem to have detoured away from progressive viewpoints and rational discourse and this song sums up the fantasy that everything stayed on course instead of being hijacked by liars and political manipulators such as our terrible, terrible unelected prime minister.

Drico One

#69 Post by Drico One »

I really like Dreamland. It fizzes with energy. From the celestial bathhouse that sets the scene to Chris's patented chunky bassline, it's hard not to get swept away in the somnambulant wistfulness of it all. Neil undertaking yet another act of escapology, accompanied, this time, by a slightly over-earnest apprentice adds yet more familiarity.

Thematically, this single underscores the message that defined Super: sentience is painful, so let's escape. On Super, we ran from Hicksville, left the here and now to return to the 1990s, abdicated, lost ourselves on the dance floor, and disappeared into thin air. Only the sad robots, mindless as they already were, bucked the trend and travelled in the opposite direction - and that ended badly.

I like the superficial simplicity of Dreamland. On one level, it's disposable and slight. Yet, it's a clever commentary on contemporary life. Where once we were exhorted to "go West", there's some irony in the sight of a train full of dreamers reaching its destination at Alexanderplatz, East Berlin. Like the sad robots of Super, these people are taking the return journey, swimming against the tide. The modern day German capital is, of course, the de facto centre of EU power, so it's hard not to see this song as a paean to soon to be lost freedoms, especially given the nationality of its authors. That Berlin was also a beacon for migrants in 2015 is no coincidence. In some minds, from certain perspectives, it meets the criteria for a utopian ideal. Given the prevailing political climate in England, there's a certain subversiveness to all of this.

Berlin, of course, has always had a tradition of tolerance. It's always attracted those on the run, from failed Austrian painters to Irish Pet Shop Boys forum moderators. In a world of simple solutions to complex problems, Berlin does represent something more hopeful, despite its problems. In that sense, Dreamland is a love song to what Berlin has represented at different times to different people. It celebrates difference.

The wall of sound that accompanies us on our three-minute journey stirs the soul. It's full of hooks, from squelchy beats to mournful horns, as it marches us into a hopeful future. And then it ends and we all wake up in a sweat.

Chris is credited with the idea to cover Go West. Dreamland has Chris written all over it. Disposable pop with simple, sexy lyrics - just as he likes - shot through with a subtly subversive subtext that's visible only to those who want to see it. What's not to like?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

daveid

#70 Post by daveid »

Lush wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 7:03 pm

Wow. I'd hate to see how you react to something really unpleasant. Why don't you calm down, take a few dozen valium and go f*** yourself.

y3potential

#71 Post by y3potential »

After several listens over the last couple of days, and to my ears anyway, the backing has a 'Misfit' by Curiosity Killed The Cat feel about it. I find myself liking the song more now a few days in.. A strong 7.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Markpro

#72 Post by Markpro »

4/10 for me, it's not great but it's not "Winner" levels of bad, it's just "OK", sounds like a lot of other stuff out there and will no doubt get swallowed up by the generic reggaeton sounding abominations in the singles charts.
I hope the fact Years and Years are involved will mean the Boys back catalogue gets some interest but it's all just a bit forgettable for me.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

retrofuturist

#73 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:47 am I can understand people not liking that they’ve released a contemporary pop song featuring a contemporary pop act to promote an album and world tour.

I find it less logical to keep expecting PSB to release another It’s a Sin in 2019.
Sure, but is anyone here really doing or expecting that?

I think it's more likely that people have been seeing diminishing returns from the Stuart Price era since the brilliance of Electric, and everything new becomes more of the same, just but not quite as creative and not quite as good. If there are some fantastic songs left in the boys, Stuart Price seemingly isn't the man to bring them into being... and the boys can't go on forever. Is an opportunity being squandered by staying with the same producer for three albums in a row?

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

jasonjohn

#74 Post by jasonjohn »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:17 pm
Sure, but is anyone here really doing or expecting that?

I think it's more likely that people have been seeing diminishing returns from the Stuart Price era since the brilliance of Electric, and everything new becomes more of the same, just but not quite as creative and not quite as good. If there are some fantastic songs left in the boys, Stuart Price seemingly isn't the man to bring them into being...
“Songs left”?!

Electric was a mix album. Extended doof doof. People liked it because of it, and disliked Super because it had “songs”.

Price was the 3rd PSB for Electric.

It was to no small extent a success because of him.

He’s not to blame.

It’s more because some people in this forum have narrow expectations of PSB output.
retrofuturist wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:17 pm and the boys can't go on forever. Is an opportunity being squandered by staying with the same producer for three albums in a row?
Neil and Chris are making the albums they want to make.

Future Lover

#75 Post by Future Lover »

People are doing too much about Stuart Price. I think he's doing an excellent job. The only bone I had to pick with him so far were the mixes for the Super Tour, they felt a bit too familiar this time around.
If we're being extremely honest, the only PSB-produced album sounded kinda bad ("Release") and their demos have recently had a pretty dated sound about them (see "Vocal").