Rate "Dreamland"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate "Dreamland"

5%
12%
26%
18%
15%
10%
3%
6%
2,1, 0
6%

Total votes: 125

Gabby

Re: Rate "Dreamland"

#76 Post by Gabby »

This is officially my 11 year old daughters new favourite song. This is high praise considering she's all about Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Marshmellow etc. (ie: very current artists)

It's nice to not have to fight over what to listen to in the car on the way home. :)

leesmapman

#77 Post by leesmapman »

Future Lover wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm If we're being extremely honest, the only PSB-produced album sounded kinda bad ("Release")
Very?

Future Lover

#78 Post by Future Lover »

leesmapman wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:30 pm
Future Lover wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm If we're being extremely honest, the only PSB-produced album sounded kinda bad ("Release")
Very?
Stephen Hague?

y3potential

#79 Post by y3potential »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:17 pm Greetings,
Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 8:47 am I can understand people not liking that they’ve released a contemporary pop song featuring a contemporary pop act to promote an album and world tour.

I find it less logical to keep expecting PSB to release another It’s a Sin in 2019.
Sure, but is anyone here really doing or expecting that?

I think it's more likely that people have been seeing diminishing returns from the Stuart Price era since the brilliance of Electric, and everything new becomes more of the same, just but not quite as creative and not quite as good. If there are some fantastic songs left in the boys, Stuart Price seemingly isn't the man to bring them into being... and the boys can't go on forever. Is an opportunity being squandered by staying with the same producer for three albums in a row?

Retro. :)
I know it's an unfair comparison but bear in mind the The Beatles kept loyal to George Martin throughout their recording career as a band, with both them and him bringing out the best in each other and pushing the boundaries.. Again, an unfair comparison, perhaps, but the point being that staying with the same producer isn't necessarily a bad thing. Also, PSB's went back to both Stephen Hague and Trevor Horn..
Last edited by y3potential on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

leesmapman

#80 Post by leesmapman »

Future Lover wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 4:32 pm
leesmapman wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:30 pm
Very?
Stephen Hague?
Hm, yeah, looking at the booklet, it's additional production.

retrofuturist

#81 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
jasonjohn wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm Neil and Chris are making the albums they want to make.
Sure, but that doesn't mean that we have to pretend they haven't entered a second career nadir.
y3potential wrote:...the point being that staying with the same producer isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Agreed, but if the results are sub-par, you've got to wonder what's going on. For example, was the "trilogy" a contractual arrangement moreso than an artistic concept?

Kind regards.

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Drico One

#82 Post by Drico One »

Ha ha, I’m loving this career nadir. I hope it gets even more nadiry and then I can start calling it Ralph.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

jamie1978

#83 Post by jamie1978 »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 5:40 am Greetings,
jasonjohn wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm Neil and Chris are making the albums they want to make.
Sure, but that doesn't mean that we have to pretend they haven't entered a second career nadir.
y3potential wrote:...the point being that staying with the same producer isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Agreed, but if the results are sub-par, you've got to wonder what's going on. For example, was the "trilogy" a contractual arrangement moreso than an artistic concept?

Kind regards.

It was a crowded competition, but I hereby award you 2019's 'worst post of the year' award. Congrats.

Future Lover

#84 Post by Future Lover »

Maybe generalize into Worst Poster too. The ignore option isn't strong enough.

retrofuturist

#85 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
jamie1978 wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 11:05 am It was a crowded competition, but I hereby award you 2019's 'worst post of the year' award. Congrats.
Future Lover wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 11:31 am Maybe generalize into Worst Poster too. The ignore option isn't strong enough.
That's kind. I'll give the next single 11/10, just so you'll both forgive me.

:roll:

In the meantime, please note that ad-hominem argumentation is the lowest form of argument. Forum rule number five may provide some edification. Please try harder next time.

Kind regards.

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Future Lover

#86 Post by Future Lover »

Nah, I wouldn't call this an ad hominem, that's too fancy. Your twatty and toxic holier-than-thou attitude makes perusing the forum a completely unpleasant experience. And I don't even enjoy the single that much.
Imagine how disgusting it is for them to read such bile and vitriol every time they visit the forum. The Boys, SP, Angela, whoever from their team... I'm not saying we should all be smiles and kudos, but throwing "career nadir" so casually is a shitty thing to do. If I gave you a bit of your medicine, take it like a man.
Don't be a silly edgelord, you're probably too old for that. Many people here rated the song highly-ish, you going against the grain doesn't make you unique or interesting... snowflake.

stopthecar

#87 Post by stopthecar »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Kind regards.

career nadir. Image

Your such a joker aren't you?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

Nickname

Re: Rate

#88 Post by Nickname »

stopthecar wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 1:32 pm
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Kind regards.

career nadir. Image

Your such a joker aren't you?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk
It was a Stuart Price idea, it wasn't their idea.

ChoonHound

#89 Post by ChoonHound »

They’re definitely in a “concert creativity” nadir, I’ll go that far.

I’ve seen lots of shows and there’s nothing unique about playing a mix of hits and new material while shooting lasers above the crowd.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Philby2

#90 Post by Philby2 »

Dreamland sounds like a current hit that one hears on a (commercial) pop radio station. In that sense its a resounding success, which is possibly also why quite a few PSB fans/ forum members don't particularly rate the song.

I like it. Its a well done example of what it sets out to be. A solid 8/10.

I'm currently getting these vibes from Dreamland:

- More than a dream
- I'm outta love (Anastasia)
- Moves like Jagger (Maroon 5/ Christina Aguilera)