Rate "Dreamland"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate "Dreamland"

5%
12%
26%
18%
15%
10%
3%
6%
2,1, 0
6%

Total votes: 125

Future Lover

Re: Rate

#91 Post by Future Lover »

nickname wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 3:48 pm It was a Stuart Price idea, it wasn't their idea.
Oh, here's another """expert""" take... Bullshit.
The trilogy was actually the idea of one Neil Tennant, which he first announced in a Popjustice interview he gave just before Electric, without consulting either Chris Lowe of Stuart Price. And it was a great idea, in my honest opinion. Please do a modicum of research before spewing falsities.
Honestly, sometimes I wish they would just stop producing music, since I don't think anything will ever be good enough for you people. The sheer antagonism...

Wish

Re: Rate "Dreamland"

#92 Post by Wish »

Stuart is married to their manager Angela Becker. So whatever Neil told I also don't believe it's totally his idea.

Future Lover

#93 Post by Future Lover »

Errrrr do I really have to find the quotes from everyone involved to prove to you folks, who clearly have a bias against SP, that the man isn't to blame? Obviously it's convenient for them to work with him, being married to their manager, and being a fan and connoisseur of their work, who've they worked with since 2009, on top of being a fantastic musician.

retrofuturist

#94 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Future Lover,
Future Lover wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:56 pm Nah, I wouldn't call this an ad hominem, that's too fancy. Your twatty and toxic holier-than-thou attitude makes perusing the forum a completely unpleasant experience.
What you would call something, doesn't change what it is.
Future Lover wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:56 pm ...bile and vitriol
Please desist from projecting these qualities where they do not exist.
Future Lover wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:56 pm I'm not saying we should all be smiles and kudos, but throwing "career nadir" so casually is a shitty thing to do.
How do you know what is thrown around "casually" or not? The Nightlife/Release time-period is often regarded, both by fans and critics, as well as commercially, as a low point. From the Pop Art singles onwards, there was a renaissance through to Electric. After that it was "more of the same, just not quite as good or not quite as creative", and as pointed out above, that applies not just to the Stuart Price albums, but possibly also to recent concerts too (by all accounts, I haven't seen them).

If that is how we see it, should we pretend otherwise?

Besides, they've had a career nadir previously and come out the other side with renewed creativity... I haven't given up on them doing so again. If I had, I wouldn't be here.
Future Lover wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:56 pm snowflake.
Again, please desist from the projection. I have no objection to anyone white-knighting in order to protect the feelings of the inner sanctum, but I believe whilst doing so in this community, it would be best to do so in a manner that complies with the rules of this community.

Kind regards.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

jasonjohn

#95 Post by jasonjohn »

Anyway, I've gone back to listening after a few days of fasting. Still think it's a spot-on strong track for them right now.

Olly is a great choice. He's of a generation and a scene that will probably love to hear from, or learn of, PSB. And there's an element of cool here. They are reaching an audience, for sure. Not forgetting the pleasing mix of Olly and Neil's voices.

Lyrically, I like the Go West dreaming elements. Although I do prefer it when Neil is more pragmatic than the "We’re falling for pleasure" / "Look at me I'm just so groovy" / "Feel so good" of the Trilogy era. But I guess it's often observational or wry, and I guess they've always done it to an extent. And it probably saves us from it becoming a Brexit dreaming track :)

Fresh!

(Not just "new single" euphoria for me)

miserabalism

#96 Post by miserabalism »

Dreamland is a thumbs-up from me. Great first single from a new album, and it has a very fresh sound. I think it's a significant improvement on the Agenda EP (which I barely listen to).

Marie loves PSB

#97 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Well, it has taken a couple of listens for me. When I first heard it on their radio interview I thought "oh, no". I don't feel like this now. Just wish you could buy a CD single of it! :D I gave it 8/10.
Last edited by Marie loves PSB on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leesmapman

#98 Post by leesmapman »

750/112=6,6964285714285714285714285714286... which roughly rounds up to a 7. Too low imho, I think it's a strong first single. I gave it a 8 myself. *

*) I divided the 6 voters who voted 2,1 and 0 into three votes for 2 three for 1 (and zero 0s, because in a 1-10 rating, you can't vote a 0. But if I did a 2*3, 2*1 and 2*0, it wouldn't have mattered much anyway).

oakey

#99 Post by oakey »

First time I heard Dreamland I thought 'mwe', but after repeated listening I cannot get it out of my head anymore :)
So for me it's an almost-instant earworm. I like the blend of Neil's and Olly's voices. Both have quite thin voices, but I don't mind.
9/10

daveid

#100 Post by daveid »

It's improved a lot in my mind despite me being pretty scathing. Let's hope we get a physical single.

Norman3

#101 Post by Norman3 »

This wasn't what I was expecting. On initial listen if felt surprising safe - I was expecting a it more musical bite - a bit spiky and electro. As it stood, it reminded me more of 'Did you see me Coming?' And the Yes era. Not a bad thing, just surprising.

Now I've had the time to play it a few times, it's grown into a bit of ear worm; actually beginning to really like it. Gave it an 8.
Watching the weeds in the Garden...

http://www.last.fm/user/posterchild123

Drico One

#102 Post by Drico One »

I'm not a fan of singles that get called "growers" mainly because that means they're not set up to take immediate advantage of limited radio play, and Dreamland definitely gives its secrets away slowly. But when it does, it's utterly infectious.

The almost distorted wall of sound hides a great bathhouse in the sky. The crystalline baubles that appear when Olly starts singing about pleasure create a dreamlike soundscape. The horn sounds that guide the melody just prior to Neil's final arrival in the promised land invoke West End girls.

Stuart Price has done another excellent job with the orchestration.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

jules

#103 Post by jules »

I think dreamland was an immediate catchy song. The live version didn't work for me at first, but started sounding great after a few listens. I don't hear any piano in the album version, but the live version revealed interesting things, that would be more easy to catch with an instrumental.
Netherveless, It's really a shame for Ollie'mic.
Last edited by jules on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glennjridge

#104 Post by glennjridge »

Quite frankly the other singers voice is starting to grate on me. when his voice comes in it sounds unnatural somehow....like it doesnt fit well, like there is some sort of effect on it that makes it sound kinda rough. I like the song, I just dont like the collaboration. it didnt need that guy whoever he is. in any case I cant wait to see the tracklist...I hope we find out soon!

Philby2

#105 Post by Philby2 »

Philby2 wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 4:58 pm
I'm currently getting these vibes from Dreamland:

- More than a dream
- I'm outta love (Anastasia)
- Moves like Jagger (Maroon 5/ Christina Aguilera)
- I want a lover