2 albums?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: 2 albums?

#16 Post by TwizzleUK »

andmaste wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm Just my opinion.

In January we're having the new album but the tour is called "Greatest hits live", so I thought that...

november: 2nd single
january, just before the album (or together with it): 3rd single
end of april / beginning of may: new single to be included in a Greatest Hits
beginning / half may: greatest hits
end of may: "Greatest hits live" tour begins...

Could it be?
No way would they go to the effort of spending time recording and promoting a new album only to release a greatest hits 5 months later and give up promoting the brand new album. Most greatest hits albums are released in the last few months of the year. Either there will be a greatest hits in about a years time or its just a promotional angle to get more bums on seats for the next tour.

ChoonHound

#17 Post by ChoonHound »

To everyone’s point (including my own) : the only way to make such a thing compelling in the streaming era is to re/imagine/work/mix the songs.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

ChoonHound

#18 Post by ChoonHound »

....or, I should add, limited edition packaging.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Bulldog

#19 Post by Bulldog »

Luke Colorado wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 9:39 pm To everyone’s point (including my own) : the only way to make such a thing compelling in the streaming era is to re/imagine/work/mix the songs.
The first chapter of another SP trilogy, to accompany us through old age with vocal loops and platform boots.

Drem

#20 Post by Drem »

Exactly my thoughts, when I saw "The Greatest Hits Live" prefix on a newsletter from PSB. I expected next GH album around 2021-2022, for 40th anniversary of their meeting, and I still thinking it's too soon and risky to release it along with the new studio album, but we'll see. Maybe they will release updated "Ultimate"/"Discography" compilation as bonus disk of deluxe edition? But it would be kinda cheap move, frankly.

I can't say I'm profoundly happy to see such extremely boring announces as "The Greatest Hits Live" is. Recent tours all seems to be increasingly "Discography" cornered, I want to hear more of album tracks for 90s and 00s eras, b-sides and even some live experiment. And bring back the guitars!

Oh, and I sincirely hope they won't use "Dreamworld" for any kind of releases. It's so un-PSB, so Erasure-ish (have to said that with all due respect to the latter band which I like too).
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

TheGardner

#21 Post by TheGardner »

andmaste wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm Just my opinion.

In January we're having the new album but the tour is called "Greatest hits live", so I thought that..

Could it be?
Going with you.
January second single + Album
May 2020 - Oct. 2021 world tour + Festivals in 2022
Nov 2020 GH album and/or a Disco5
2022/2023 a final last studio album

rehmana

#22 Post by rehmana »

I think or rather hope a few months after the album they release the further listening for electric, super and the new album

retrofuturist

#23 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drem,
Drem wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:38 am Oh, and I sincirely hope they won't use "Dreamworld" for any kind of releases. It's so un-PSB, so Erasure-ish (have to said that with all due respect to the latter band which I like too).
If there's a CD/DVD release as there was with Pandemonium and Inner Sanctum, you can just about bet that it will be.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

zukunft

#24 Post by zukunft »

TheGardner wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 10:08 am January second single + Album
May 2020 - Oct. 2021 world tour + Festivals in 2022
Nov 2020 GH album and/or a Disco5
2022/2023 a final last studio album
I think after the tour (accompanied with a greatest hits album) it's time for another side project. In an interview they said that they've got plans for an extended Alan Turing project with play scenes on stage. Next (I don't know if it's the final one) album after that 2024/25.