Memories of PSB live in 2002

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ScruffyStorms

Memories of PSB live in 2002

#1 Post by ScruffyStorms » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:20 am

Hi all! I joined this forum last year so I could join in on the excitement of the Royal Opera House shows, but I haven't posted much since then as I got too tired of waiting for days and days for my posts to be approved! But I'm back to join in on the excitement again, of the new tunes and upcoming album and tour, but also because I wanted to share my latest blog post! I'm blogging about every gig I've ever been to and I've just got up to the PSB's July 2002 gig at the Brixton Academy - link is here if you'd like to take a look!

Revisiting this gig has also got me wondering if there are any video or audio recording from that tour? I'd love to hear that version of Love Comes Quickly again, especially. What are everyone else's memories of this era?
Scruffy Storms - Gigs, the musicverse and everything

Future Lover

Re: Memories of PSB live in 2002

#2 Post by Future Lover » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

Love Comes Quickly was released on the "I get along" CD2!

daveid

#3 Post by daveid » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:57 am

Future Lover wrote:
Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:47 am
They should have put that on Release FL. Brilliant live track

ScruffyStorms

#4 Post by ScruffyStorms » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 11:02 am

Future Lover wrote:
Oh fab, thank you! I've just found it one Youtube :D

Future Lover

#5 Post by Future Lover » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 11:24 am

daveid wrote:
Mon 04 Nov 2019, 10:57 am
Future Lover wrote:
They should have put that on Release FL. Brilliant live track
It was already crammed as is! In the best way possible, of course.

minimal

#6 Post by minimal » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 11:30 am

It's been the first ever PSB tour I went to after becoming a Fan in 1999 at the age of 12. I remember being totally puzzled when the guitarists and the percussionist entered the stage. I expected wigs, dancer, and, well, a 'show' rather than a 'concert'. Having attended every PSB tour ever since, including some special events such as the "PopArt" gig at Benicassim in 2004 or Potemkin in Bonn in 2005, I really think the newly aranged versions of the hits and the older songs have been the most original ones they've ever come to play live on tour. I remember reading or listening to Neil saying that also Bernard Dumner of NO said that in his view Release was the most exciting PSB tour he went to. Also, the atmosphere was different back then. People actually danced, sang along, were more euphoric in general. I haven't experienced such a crowd reaction anymore from Fundamental onwards. Also, the current show doesn't really move or get me. It's too much banging, lasers, repetition. They play on full effect rather than creating something unique. In my opnion, the last great gig I've witnessed was the initimate Elysium show they played at HAU in Berlin in 2012. With the new record being probably different in tone and sound as oppoed to Electric and Super I hope ther'll be new live elements as well. It's be strongly disappointed if they only ever repeated the laser thingy.

m+

ScruffyStorms

#7 Post by ScruffyStorms » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 9:12 am

Hi minimal, really interesting memories! Regarding the crowd reactions, my experiences have been a bit different to what you describe - I definitely have found crowds to be dancing and euphoric in recent tours. Did you get to any of the Royal Opera House shows? I was lucky enough to be in the orchestra pit for the closing night last year and it was one of the most euphoric gig experiences I've ever had! But then if you're not keen on the laser/rave aspect I can see why you wouldn't have enjoyed the recent tours so much - I personally love it. Hopefully there will be something for all of us to love on the next tour!

joe stalin

#8 Post by joe stalin » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 6:01 pm

23rd July 2002

I saw the PSB live

On the banks of lake Geneva at Nyon for Paleo

I’ve seen them in many places but that was certainly one of the most picturesque.

It was the release tour era and it would be fair to say the crowd had a mixed reaction to some of the songs. Especially Love is a catastrophe :-(

Overall though as a pethead I enjoyed it. Think there were some pointy hats there as well.

17 years ago. Insane

telys

#9 Post by telys » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 9:45 pm

This is the tour they should've made into an album, a great single disc live album. It would've given them a lot of cred. It would've been more satisfying than all those musicals and ballets etc

DJ Pat

#10 Post by DJ Pat » Sun 10 Nov 2019, 9:25 pm

Nice write up, memories flood back. Bangkok, final night of the tour.

Hot and sweaty at an arena in a far flung corner of deepest suburbia

We all met up via the old petheads forum
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839