What's the lead single of "Electric"?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BoyStrange

What's the lead single of "Electric"?

#1 Post by BoyStrange » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:33 pm

Maybe it's a bad timing for this question in these Hotspot days, and I've tried the search function without success. Anyway, here it comes:

Which track is considered to be the lead single of the album "Electric"? All other albums have quite obvious lead singles, but with Electric I'm in doubt: Is it "Axis" (or was it just a teaser?) or "Vocal" (another teaser?)? Or maybe "Love is a bourgeois construct" which was the first Electric single with b-sides on it?

I wonder about this because I'm creating a playlist with lead singles only, just for fun. Maybe there is no definite answer to this, but I guess there are some opinions about it.

Nicholas

Re: What's the lead single of "Electric"?

#2 Post by Nicholas » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:37 pm

Probably not one that was released after the album.

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:39 pm

Surprised you didn't build a poll into the new topic!

Anyway, I'd say Axis... it had its own artwork, a radio edit, a cracking film clip, an actual physical 12" single... what more does something have to do to qualify as a single?

BoyStrange

#4 Post by BoyStrange » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:44 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:39 pm
Surprised you didn't build a poll into the new topic!

Anyway, I'd say Axis... it had its own artwork, a radio edit, a cracking film clip, an actual physical 12" single... what more does something have to do to qualify as a single?
Maybe some lyrics? There are too few of them in "Axis", so it seems like a strange lead single to me.

daveid

#5 Post by daveid » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:47 pm

According to fandom it's "Axis", despite it not having a full physical release. By the same standards "Inner sanctum" is the lead single of Super, yet it's not considered to be. I would argue that Inner sanctum is much more of a single than Axis, but hey.

retrofuturist

#6 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:51 pm

Greetings,
BoyStrange wrote:
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:44 pm
Maybe some lyrics? There are too few of them in "Axis", so it seems like a strange lead single to me.
I don't remember quantity of lyrics being a criteria for whether something is a single. That's news to me.

As for being a "strange lead single", I thought Winner was a "strange lead single" because it was shite. But still, it remains the lead single from Elysium.

Since personal preference seems to be a consideration now (!), Axis is the best song off Electric so warrants being the first single. It's also the most electric single (and video) so was actually a brilliant choice to showcase the album.

Retro. :)

BoyStrange

#7 Post by BoyStrange » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:52 pm

But "Inner Sanctum" came only as a digital dowload prior to the album, and Geowayne has listed it as an "album taster" (http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/extras/chronology.htm).

(This is a reply to Daveid)

BoyStrange

#8 Post by BoyStrange » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:55 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:51 pm
Greetings,
BoyStrange wrote:
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:44 pm
I don't remember quantity of lyrics being a criteria for whether something is a single. That's news to me.

As for being a "strange lead single", I thought Winner was a "strange lead single" because it was shite. But still, it remains the lead single from Elysium.

Since personal preference seems to be a consideration now (!), Axis is the best song off Electric so warrants being the first single. It's also the most electric single (and video) so was actually a brilliant choice to showcase the album.

You have some good arguments here. I guess I can settle with "Axis", no problem.

(But "Inner sanctum" or "The pop kids" as lead single of "Super", that's a more tricky one. Maybe I should start a thread about that? ;-)

daveid

#9 Post by daveid » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 9:56 am

BoyStrange wrote:
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:52 pm
But "Inner Sanctum" came only as a digital dowload prior to the album, and Geowayne has listed it as an "album taster" (http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/extras/chronology.htm).

(This is a reply to Daveid)
Axis was a dl only track and then had a limited edition vinyl with two tracks. Inner sanctum was a dl only track that later had an extremely glossy less limited 12 inch release with four tracks, one of which was given a digital release.

I know Axis had a video and Inner sanctum didn't but in terms of availability and content Inner sanctum wins.

Nicholas

#10 Post by Nicholas » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:12 am

I think the moral of the story is that modern release strategies don’t really dovetail with traditional ‘lead single’ promotions and advance tracks are a more ambiguous beast and contemporary society is more sophisticated yet less certain or at least less wedded to all these ABSOLUTES and the whole thing is a cute idea but frankly unnecessary and unwieldy and sexuality is a spectrum. Just pick the tracks you like the best! They don’t even have to be by PSB!

Future Lover

#11 Post by Future Lover » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm

I'd say "Inner sanctum" was a promo track that got upgraded to proper (limited) single later, with "The Pop Kids" being the true first single. "Axis" was a proper lead single from "Electric".

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm

Future Lover wrote:
Fri 15 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm
I'd say "Inner sanctum" was a promo track that got upgraded to proper (limited) single later, with "The Pop Kids" being the true first single. "Axis" was a proper lead single from "Electric".
I agree. Axis was released as a separate download single with its own artwork prior to Electric. Inner Sanctum was an instant grat album track prior to Super - meaning you could only download it as a track off the (otherwise unreleased) album. It was a 12" single later on, in its remixed form. Making The Pop Kids the lead single.

And as for Undertow.... official single or not? There was no radio edit, so I wouldn't put it in my PSB singles playlist.

Hard to define these things these days, isn't it?

daveid

#13 Post by daveid » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:54 pm

I consider Inner sanctum the 3rd single from Super between 20S and SITM

retrofuturist

#14 Post by retrofuturist » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:09 am

Greetings,
TwizzleUK wrote:
Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm
Future Lover wrote:
Fri 15 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm
I agree. Axis was released as a separate download single with its own artwork prior to Electric. Inner Sanctum was an instant grat album track prior to Super - meaning you could only download it as a track off the (otherwise unreleased) album. It was a 12" single later on, in its remixed form. Making The Pop Kids the lead single.
Agreed.
TwizzleUK wrote:
Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm
And as for Undertow.... official single or not? There was no radio edit, so I wouldn't put it in my PSB singles playlist.

Hard to define these things these days, isn't it?
Unique artwork, 12" release, limited bundled CD release, digital release.

Sounds like a single to me.

jrusher12

#15 Post by jrusher12 » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:24 am

Axis. First track released. I know that there is debate these days about what constitutes a single. Does it have to be released physically? Does it have to have a b-side? I think the answer to both of those is no. The traditional format of releasing music has gone. Even the concept of the album is now out of date.

To me, a single is any track that is released for purchase in any form, on its own or with accompanying b-sides.

So therefore Axis