Newly-scanned Very-era interview with Pete Gleadall and Bob Kraushaar

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

joe stalin

Re: Newly-scanned Very-era interview with Pete Gleadall and Bob Kraushaar

#2 Post by joe stalin » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 7:10 pm

Love these sort of articles. Obviously don’t understand most of it but it’s still intrigues me nonetheless.

Raises a few questions though ?

Over the last few years, and especially since SP took over the producer reigns, there has been a ever increasing cacophony of noise around the perceived loss of quality of recordings. I’m tone deaf so I don’t really understand the issue but :-

A) is it because of the omission of someone like Bob in the setup ?

B) is it because of the nature of the recording process ? Files being sent back and forth to SP in LA ?

C) do petheads just have more expensive and better audio setups now and hence hear noise that wouldn’t have registered before ?

D) is the issue the compressed format of digital tracks ?

I appreciate we possibly have some real expertise on the forum but am perplexed if things really have gotten so bad in terms of quality, then why haven’t the boys or Pete done something to sort it ?

alig

#3 Post by alig » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 8:54 pm

Ta. Interesting stuff. I wish there was some video material of the boys in the studio faffing around.
"John 3:16."

psbfannyc

#4 Post by psbfannyc » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 9:18 pm

Wow! I love Pete's pony tail.

psbfannyc

#5 Post by psbfannyc » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 9:43 pm

I wonder why there wasn't a reference to producer Stephen Hague whom both Pete and Bob would have reported into on the production of "Very" in this article...strange. Are there any Stephen Hague interviews on "Very" that any one knows?

TallThinMan

#6 Post by TallThinMan » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 10:48 pm

psbfannyc wrote:
Sat 16 Nov 2019, 9:43 pm
I wonder why there wasn't a reference to producer Stephen Hague whom both Pete and Bob would have reported into on the production of "Very" in this article...strange. Are there any Stephen Hague interviews on "Very" that any one knows?
Pete looks very different, doesn’t he? They’ve worked with him for a long time now. Not Very era, but there’s a scan of a Stephen Hague interview from early 1988 on the same site, with an interesting “Love Comes Quickly” anecdote: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/talking-shop/1060

nickname

#7 Post by nickname » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 2:00 am

TallThinMan wrote:
Fri 15 Nov 2019, 5:53 pm
For the gear-heads here: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/pet-sounds/7670
---
'Shameless', had a very dense arrangement that took a lot of time, and they ended up getting fed up with it. It became a B-side to 'Go West', instead of being on the album."
---

It HAD to be on the album. :grumble:

Anyway, Very was an amazing album on terms of sounds, plenty of musical arrangements and complexity.

psbfannyc

#8 Post by psbfannyc » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 7:41 am

TallThinMan wrote:
Sat 16 Nov 2019, 10:48 pm
psbfannyc wrote:
Pete looks very different, doesn’t he? They’ve worked with him for a long time now. Not Very era, but there’s a scan of a Stephen Hague interview from early 1988 on the same site, with an interesting “Love Comes Quickly” anecdote: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/talking-shop/1060
I'd like to meet Stephen Hague...I wonder what he is up to these days.

rabagast

#9 Post by rabagast » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 9:50 am

psbfannyc wrote:
Stephen Hauge was just in at the very end of the process, tinkering with the material in post-production (hence the «additional production»-credit), so he obviously wasn’t around at the time of the interview. Pete and Bob reported into the production, but the producers were PSB

daveid

#10 Post by daveid » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 9:57 am

TallThinMan wrote:
Sat 16 Nov 2019, 10:48 pm
psbfannyc wrote:
That Stephen Hague interview is very interesting and captures a moment in time. Funny how the unique sound of Love Comes Quickly is down to a half beat delay in the bass line.

DJ Pat

#11 Post by DJ Pat » Wed 20 Nov 2019, 7:45 am

psbfannyc wrote:
Sat 16 Nov 2019, 9:18 pm
Wow! I love Pete's pony tail.
Pete looked nothing like Pete back then :dance:
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

tottenhammattspurs

#12 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 21 Nov 2019, 11:40 am

Ponytail and a mambo t shirt. That was completely my look in 1993!!!
is is and isnt isnt

dynamobjornen

#13 Post by dynamobjornen » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 6:12 pm

Thanks, enjoyed reading it
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

sonicbleep

#14 Post by sonicbleep » Sat 23 Nov 2019, 9:51 am

Loved this, thanks for posting. As Pete has jumped into the world of modular synths I wonder if it will start to influence the Pets sound, and they might start sounding more stripped back and monosynth.

I saw he recently got an old Roland System 100m which was used all over behaviour and was the main sound of miserablism. So maybe some interesting B sides on the horizon.