Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
drunk14

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#181 Post by drunk14 » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:54 am

I will repeat my question regarding middle-8's/bridges. Effen replied that there are some beautiful moments in this category, but it was not a very detailed answer ;). What are your thoughts?

And if "Monkey Business" has no hit potential it means that you would pick another song for a 3rd single?
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

retrofuturist

#182 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm

Greetings,
drunk14 wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:54 am
I will repeat my question regarding middle-8's/bridges. Effen replied that there are some beautiful moments in this category, but it was not a very detailed answer ;). What are your thoughts?
I can relate to Effen's response, because whilst there's definitely "beautiful moments", especially in You Are The One and Burning The Heather, they're not necessarily middle-8's or bridges, at least in the traditional sense. To my point made in the initial review, the songs aren't at all formulaic or predictable - when you expect a verse, there's a synth-riff... where you expect an instrumental break, there's a spoken word bit. It's all quite exciting in that regard - especially Will O The Wisp.
drunk14 wrote:
And if "Monkey Business" has no hit potential it means that you would pick another song for a 3rd single?
No, it may as well be Monkey Business. Given what's included in these 10 tracks, they're three very sensible single choices.

Retro. :)

Effen Vida

#183 Post by Effen Vida » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm
Greetings,
drunk14 wrote:
I can relate to Effen's response, because whilst there's definitely "beautiful moments", especially in You Are The One and Burning The Heather, they're not necessarily middle-8's or bridges, at least in the traditional sense. To my point made in the initial review, the songs aren't at all formulaic or predictable - when you expect a verse, there's a synth-riff... where you expect an instrumental break, there's a spoken word bit. It's all quite exciting in that regard - especially Will O The Wisp.
drunk14 wrote:
No, it may as well be Monkey Business. Given what's included in these 10 tracks, they're three very sensible single choices.

Yeah, I think the two singles already released are the most obvious choices. It's not really a singles album, is it Retro? It's certainly not a Very or Actually, in that regard, for example.

drunk14

#184 Post by drunk14 » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 2:05 pm

Ok, thank you for your explenations, gentlemen.

So it seems that this is a pop record, but not in a obvious way. I try to imagine the sound of the album now...

I listen to different music, so there is no need to present me another "Very", but I would like to have at least one pilot catchy tune surrounded with less immediate stuff (and I don't count previously revelead songs). Perhaps Happy People can fulfill my expectations.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Nickname

#185 Post by Nickname » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 7:09 pm

Effen Vida wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm
retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm
Greetings,
drunk14 wrote:
drunk14 wrote:

Yeah, I think the two singles already released are the most obvious choices. It's not really a singles album, is it Retro? It's certainly not a Very or Actually, in that regard, for example.
Pet Shop Boys know that. That's why they won't play any of their songs live except Dreamland.

But there is a new album on the way sooner than we expect.

alig

#186 Post by alig » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 7:34 pm

Effen Vida wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 5:36 pm
alig wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 5:22 pm
Congratulations, Effen. Feeling important now?
Still feeling unimportant?
No.
"John 3:16."

cupidius

#187 Post by cupidius » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 8:25 pm

alig wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 7:42 pm
Like immature kids, some people must listen to the album before its official release. Then they come here, bestowing on us their review as if their opinion is gospel. Yeah, you're the chosen ones, immortal, gods because you listened to some random album before its release. Lmao
Continuously reading here since May 2006. What has become of general rules of politeness, modesty, and humbleness?
o tempora, o mores...

Cheers

retrofuturist

#188 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 10:30 pm

Greetings EV,
Effen Vida wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm
Agreed.

Coming into this period, I was afraid that Neil was going to be overtly political and elitist on this album, and I breathe a sigh of relief that he got that out of his system with the Agenda EP. There's an unshackled, mildly bonkers quality to some of what's here, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's a bit of 'comic relief' - what is it they say, "if you didn't laugh, you'd cry"? This is Pet Shop Boys doing what they want, and having a good time doing it.

Last edited by retrofuturist on Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

#189 Post by Nicholas » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:13 pm

Heard it today. Didn't have unlimited access but I got a few good listens.

1. It is an absolutely wonderful record.

2. Will-o-the-wisp is breathtakingly amazing and the final minute of it is thrilling.

3. Hoping for a miracle is devastating and amazing and has so much heart and made me do a little cry.

4. Everything else is also various shades of amazing/very very good.

5. Wedding in Berlin is in no way an aberration and makes perfect sense as the closer to an incredibly heartfelt album which carries its emotions very close to the surface. It's better than You are the one. You are the one is perfectly nice.

6. It's really such a f*** great album and I wish I'd got to spend more time with it.

7. RECAP: Will-o-the-wisp, Hoping for a miracle = top dogs.

8. The bit in the second verse of Will-o-the-wisp where Neil actually directly addresses the subject of the song as 'Will-o-the-wisp' almost made me wet myself with excitement.

9. What a f*** great song.

10. Happy Christmas!

Sage

#190 Post by Sage » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:31 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:13 pm
Heard it today. Didn't have unlimited access but I got a few good listens.

1. It is an absolutely wonderful record.

2. Will-o-the-wisp is breathtakingly amazing and the final minute of it is thrilling.

3. Hoping for a miracle is devastating and amazing and has so much heart and made me do a little cry.

4. Everything else is also various shades of amazing/very very good.

5. Wedding in Berlin is in no way an aberration and makes perfect sense as the closer to an incredibly heartfelt album which carries its emotions very close to the surface. It's better than You are the one. You are the one is perfectly nice.

6. It's really such a f****** great album and I wish I'd got to spend more time with it.

7. RECAP: Will-o-the-wisp, Hoping for a miracle = top dogs.

8. The bit in the second verse of Will-o-the-wisp where Neil actually directly addresses the subject of the song as 'Will-o-the-wisp' almost made me wet myself with excitement.

9. What a f****** great song.

10. Happy Christmas!
How did you get to listen to the album?

rashomon

#191 Post by rashomon » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm

Two fan reviews in one day?!

Happy Christmas indeed
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Nicholas

#192 Post by Nicholas » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:42 pm

Sage wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:31 pm
A man I know who is homosexual and writes music stuff sometimes temporarily granted me access to a preview stream he’d wrangled because it’s Christmas.

Effen Vida

#193 Post by Effen Vida » Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:59 am

Nicholas wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:42 pm
Sage wrote:
A man I know who is homosexual and writes music stuff sometimes temporarily granted me access to a preview stream he’d wrangled because it’s Christmas.
In the loveliest possible way, your opening eleven words really made me laugh. Never change, Nicholas.

MikeyC

#194 Post by MikeyC » Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:06 am

Effen Vida wrote:
Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:59 am
Nicholas wrote:
Sage wrote:
In the loveliest possible way, your opening eleven words really made me laugh. Never change, Nicholas.

It could actually be the opening line of a PSB song!

Mark R.Y.

#195 Post by Mark R.Y. » Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:30 am

MikeyC wrote:
Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:06 am
Effen Vida wrote:
Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:59 am
Nicholas wrote:

It could actually be the opening line of a PSB song!
When you're a boy
some days are tough
lying on your bed
playing punk rock and stuff