Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?

Yes
56%
Not really
44%

Total votes: 45

y3potential

Re: Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

#31 Post by y3potential » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 4:43 pm

Tenlow wrote:
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 2:13 pm
nickname wrote:
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 2:04 pm
Tenlow wrote:
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:58 pm
I think Vocal is a recent "classic", just because it worked / works so incredibly well live and was one of the favourites of fans and casual concert attendees in the last two tours (they even ended the Electric concerts with it because of it). Other than that, maybe Pop Kids will become one in the future but that's about it for me as far as "classics" from the last two albums are concerned, which I obviously don't judge by chart success or anything like that nowadays.

Other "classics" after Fundamental have been Love etc., The way it used to be and Leaving for me.
I think you are talking from the perspective of a harcore fan.
Well, we all are. That's why we're here ;) But thanks for reminding me!

Hint: If you want to avoid the perspectives of PSB fans, you might try not asking them by creating a poll in a "hardcore fan forum", right?

Hint2: I think many people here will agree that at the very least Love etc, The way it used to be and Leaving can be considered PSB "classics".
Which is why I gave up with his countless pollzzz and threads a long time ago
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Nickname

Re: Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

#32 Post by Nickname » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 5:06 pm

Tenlow wrote:
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 4:32 pm
Defining „classics“ just by general success is pretty boring as well. The initial question in this thread whether we think there are PSB classics on the last two albums would be quite irrelevant if the definition is that simple. Of course the answer is „no“ then.

That‘s why I mentioned my I‘m not just looking at sales, chart positions etc to define what a PSB classic is to me.

A classic PSB track is something that is purely PSB and has a certain „quality“ that can rival or is on par with „THE“ classics.

Vocal definitely is a classic by now. It was an essential part of the last two world tours, with great reception and just works perfectly live. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Also most of the fans love the track, may it be live or even on Electric. That’s all you can ask for when considering a „new classic“ these days.
I understand the difficulty to describe something like a classic. Of course, it's not already related to commercial sucess and I understand it's very argueable.

For exmple, PSB always have made a strong defence of their ballads (ex: Love Comes Quickly, Rent, etc). For me, these songs don't work too much outside the fanbase. You can see that watching their chart results in the golden days. Are they real classics?. I don't know.

Tenlow

#33 Post by Tenlow » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm

Of course they are. Almost everything on Discography is a classic, I would argue.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Disco.

#34 Post by Disco. » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm

Leaving is a classic PSB song, simply fantastic.

romy

#35 Post by romy » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

I think,there are some songs at Electric and Super,which I would describe as hits,if they were released in the past.

Vocal,of course. "Construct" for me it's a typical PSB Classic .

And "The Pop Kids" as well.

joe stalin

#36 Post by joe stalin » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 9:52 pm

Obviously as others have said depends on how you constitute classic. To most people, only West End Girls is a classic. To the next subset of the population, then Go West was the last classic PSB song.

IMHO, nothing on super, electric, Elysium, fundamental, nightlife, bilingual or release is a classic. Nice songs abound obviously, but division 1, not even championship and no way premiership standard albums or songs.

Not Stuart prices fault, nor even the boy’s fault. The boys ceased being relevant post Go West to the general populous. And if the secret of pop music popularity is producing music that becomes meaningful to the broad population, then the population moved on and the boys just moved in a different direction.

C’est la vie

JJ Naas

#37 Post by JJ Naas » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 8:54 am

My personal definition of a PSB classic: If it makes my spine tingle with excitement they way the PSB songs did when I was younger, then it's a classic. Therefore: Axis, Inner Sanctum

Kosmos

#38 Post by Kosmos » Wed 18 Dec 2019, 6:44 pm

All albums sound like classic psb.
Exception for me 1999-2016:

Say it to me
Groovy
Vocal
Hold on
More than a dream
Boy strange

Eleven

#39 Post by Eleven » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 7:57 am

If each song on Discography is a classic and whoever disagrees isnt part of the conversation and the poll asks for Electric and Super then I would include:
Vocal, Love is a bourgeois construct and The Pop Kids.
Simple as that.
All the other songs you can like more or not but doesnt belong to this category.

We all love Kings Cross and it isnt a classic

Super is to my ears paired to Disco 2 rating

Ghost within this house

#40 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 10:00 am

To my ears, the only songs in the Price era that might stand as classics in their own right , or 'transcendent pop', are Vocal and The Pop Kids.
Say it to me and Burn are both near contenders...
Love is a bourgeois construct is a very witty concept song, but doesn't have a timelessly enjoyable melody. Likewise The Dictator decides is great, but basically a show tune.
Inside a Dream and Fluorescent are strong album tracks, but not classic in songwriting terms.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Spittingcat

#41 Post by Spittingcat » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 10:18 am

I have two teenagers. For them, the Price albums are packed full of classics.

Gary1962

#42 Post by Gary1962 » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 12:59 pm

On Electric, just 1 track "Love is a bourgeois construct".

On Super, "The Dictator Decides", "Burn".

I already think "Burning The Heather" off the new album is a gem of a track.

It will be interesting to put together a compilation of the tracks I do like across all 3 Stuart Price produced albums.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to one and all.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Gary1962

#43 Post by Gary1962 » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 1:00 pm

Disco. wrote:
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm
Leaving is a classic PSB song, simply fantastic.
:D Certainly agree with you on that.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

AdzyMarc

#44 Post by AdzyMarc » Sun 29 Dec 2019, 10:36 pm

Electric absolutely hands down one of the classic PSB albums alongside Very, Bilingual and Yes in my opinion. Super ?..... mmmmm....so so / 50/50 on Super - half great songs , half filler tracks

moxlox

#45 Post by moxlox » Mon 30 Dec 2019, 7:01 pm

This is an easy yes for me. Songs are:

Vocal
The Pop Kids

And an honourable mention to the sublime: Love is a Bourgeois construct.

Vocal is my favourite, but The Pop Kids is surely an utter PSB classic.

Album wise Electric is up with their best, but not at the absolute pinnacle.
Circuses and Bread