Back catalogue countdown to Hotspot

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

Re: Back catalogue countdown to Hotspot

#91 Post by Dog » Sat 11 Jan 2020, 1:09 pm

I find Battleship Potemkin quite cold and basic compared to The Most Incredible Thing and A Man from the Future. I guess that will have been the sound they were aiming for but I do prefer the comparative lushness of the second two. I’m never quite sure how the two songs and vocal snatches fit in either. But it remains an impressive work.
Woof.

Dog

#92 Post by Dog » Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:06 am

It feels like a lot of thought and work went into Fundamental. I remember Neil and Chris saying at the time of release that they had to push Trevor hard to make it sound “more Trevor”. It was exciting to speak to the man himself a few years ago to interview him for this forum.

I kind of think of their career as pre and post Release for some reason. It really did seem like that much of a turning point. For Fundamental they wrote out their manifesto, and clearly spent a great deal of money: Trevor won’t come cheap with his multiple studios and international musicians. We may not see such a grand affair again.

It’s a great record. I love the opening track Psychological but it’s not the most obvious opener. I do think they should have stuck with their original plan to begin the album with God willing. The Sodom and Gomorrah show never quite did it for me - I prefer the more electronic direction of the demo versions. I made my excuses and left is one of the great PSB ballads. I’d love to hear them do this live. Minimal is quite beautiful, lovely lyrics and a brilliant concept. I know Numb isn’t a big fan favourite but I think it’s a great track. Luna Park is another big track which gets the full Trevor treatment. I’m with Stupid has wonderful eighties elements and hopefully this will be resurrected for the hits tour. A great single, although I do think they should have put out the album version of Integral upfront. It would have been a perfect comeback, in the vein of It’s a sin. Twentieth Century is one of my favourite tracks on the album; very subtly done.

A fantastic piece of work.
Woof.

Disco.

#93 Post by Disco. » Sun 12 Jan 2020, 2:49 pm

I find Fundamental quite boring, unfortunately. Fugitive should have been on the album. Easily the best track from this era.

Dog

#94 Post by Dog » Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm

Disco. wrote:I find Fundamental quite boring, unfortunately. Fugitive should have been on the album. Easily the best track from this era.
It’s arguably not as exciting as a whole album from the makers of Left to my own devices could have been.
Woof.

Ghost within this house

#95 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:14 am

I listened to Fundamental again recently. It really isn't a 'pop' album, and I've always felt that people do it a disservice by judging it as pop. Take that away, and there is just so much to love about it. I was obsessed with Minimal when it came out. Some tracks I played to death, particularly Luna Park, to the point where I then had to go quite a long time before listening to it again...but there are some great songs here. I'm one (of a minority, I think?) to love Casanova in Hell and Twentieth Century (especially the instrumental break towards the end). God Willing and I'm with stupid seem to channel Trevor's Frankie stuff, which is appropriate given that it is basically a protest album. Integral is probably their best closer ever, and I made my excuses and left lives up there with King of Rome (and now Burning the heather) as one of their best post-imperial ballads.

TSAGS isn't quite good enough as a song to be the triumphant anthem it could have been, Numb is dull, and ILTR is sweet but nothing more (the demo was so much better).

I'd go so far as to call Fundamental a flawed masterpiece.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Bjossi

#96 Post by Bjossi » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 6:04 am

Luna Park is one of my all time favourite PSB songs, I quite like the rest of Fundamental too - Psychological, Sodom & Gomorrah Show, Minimal...

glennjridge

#97 Post by glennjridge » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 6:10 am

Luna Park is epic. the sweeping vocals, the range of instrumentation from orchestra to acoustic guitar. I especially like the segment near the end where it mellows out with acoustic guitar and wind sound effects and neil sings "thunder I wonder, a storm is coming soon, to blow us all away, like dust on the moon".

there were so many huge songs on that album. thats the power of an orchestra. i t was used very effectively, it doesn't always work.
for instance I like the song "closer to heaven" on nightlife, but I think in that case the orchestra overwhelmed the tune whereas a much simplier arrangement might have worked better IMO

Andie

#98 Post by Andie » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

I still love listening to Fundamental, it's a great album. Luna Park is imo excellent, love hearing it. Fugitive should've been on the album, shame it was left off. Trevor did a great job 8) :D
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

Disco.

#99 Post by Disco. » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 10:01 am

Dog wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm
Disco. wrote:I find Fundamental quite boring, unfortunately. Fugitive should have been on the album. Easily the best track from this era.
It’s arguably not as exciting as a whole album from the makers of Left to my own devices could have been.
:D
Not in the same league as Introspective.

Dog

#100 Post by Dog » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 8:26 pm

These Further Listenings are taking longer to get through than I’d anticipated - I’d forgotten about the double discs

I’ll keep this simple - there are some great tracks on here: Fugitive, of course, which yes, should have been on the album. The resurrectionist is an A plus b-side, with Girls don’t cry, One night and A certain Je ne sais quoi not far behind. The new material here isn’t quite up there in terms of quality but still great to have. I don’t think I hold After the event in the same high esteem as many here do - it’s standard b-side fare to my ears. I Iove the full version of God willing and think it should have opened the album. The Integral remixes are great but dilute the brilliance and hit potential of the original.
Woof.

Dog

#101 Post by Dog » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:47 pm

Fundamentalism’s choice of remixers suggests Neil was chief curator, featuring a number of lesser-known and up-and-coming European techno producers flexing their muscles. The results are mixed. Fugitive still sounds monstrous here. Melnyk’s electro take on I’m with stupid is great fun. Lobe’s spaced out Minimal strips back the production and is pretty pleasant. And Dettinger’s reimagining of Gomarrah wraps things up nicely. But much of the rest misses the mark. Michael Mayer’s remix of Flamboyant with its out of tune How can you expect to be taken seriously? samples is a missed opportunity, and the less said about In private the better.
Woof.

Tom Angel

#102 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

I have always loved Michael Mayer’s remix of Flamboyant - I'd have liked them to work with him in some capacity.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Dog

#103 Post by Dog » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 5:12 pm

Just as soon as we thought we’d got to grips with the evolving concept that is the Disco series, along came Disco Four (notably not Disco 4) to confound us again, featuring their choice remixes for other artists, along with their own reworkings of Integral and I’m with Stupid. I’m pretty sure this was intended primarily to showcase the big names they’d been commissioned by in recent months: The Killers, Madonna and Yoko Ono had all come knocking. Bowie’s Spaceboy is resurrected from a decade earlier; Rammstein and Atomizer complete the collection. While the concept is confused and incomplete, the compilation stacks up well and makes for an enjoyable listen, with Neil’s vocals cheekily cropping up on the majority of tracks.

Given 13 years have elapsed since this release, should we assume the series has drawn to a close, or could a fifth volume be lurking just around the corner?
Woof.

Effen Vida

#104 Post by Effen Vida » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

It's funny you should mention Disco 5, because I have it on very good authority that I'd like them to release it.

Dog

#105 Post by Dog » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

Effen Vida wrote:It's funny you should mention Disco 5, because I have it on very good authority that I'd like them to release it.
Image I reckon it’ll be a fast follower to Hotspot - a mix of their favourite remixes of singles and tracks from the Price trilogy, plus a handful of new tracks. They should re-release the rest of the Disco series (and Relentless) on vinyl at the same time.
Woof.