The songs that could have been

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
solarin

The songs that could have been

#1 Post by solarin »

Hi, everyone.
I am a Spanish Pethead. I've been reading you for years, and I've finally decided to write something. Hope you like It.
One of the things that I like and intrigue most about the songs in general, and those of the Pet in particular, is that sometimes, when a song is ending, they suddenly introduce a new amazing melody that sounds a few seconds and then the song ends. This produces me a sense of frustration and, at the same time, of excitement, because I always want it to last longer, or I think why they don't use them to start a new song. It happened to me with This must be the place I waited years to leave and now with Decide. Anyone else think the same? They are very good melodies to make a complete song with them, aren't they? Greetings.

telys

Re: The songs that could have been

#2 Post by telys »

Spot on. For example the strings at the end of My October Symphony.
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#3 Post by glennjridge »

well I always loved that little mournful horn segment at the very end of "King of Rome"
but one of the disappointing things is when I heard that really short song "transfer"....its such a short song, but it is actually kind of beautiful and cant see how they never made it into a full song.

minimal

#4 Post by minimal »

Fantastc thread. I've been thinking for years that this is quite a PSB thing to do. One of my most fav examples is the little melody (the chords) the guitar plays when Home & Dry slowly fades out. They've extended that melody in one live TV show performance as far as I remember. But other than that it's unexplored and a ... song that could have been.

m+

spacewalker

#5 Post by spacewalker »

This is the stuff I really love not only in PSB songs but in other artists’ works too.
The song I wanted to mention was Home and dry but minimal said it first.
Also Between two islands - I guess, it ends with a very sweet guitar solo which I loved to be lasted for minutes.

daveid

#6 Post by daveid »

The end of I'm not scared sounds like the beginning of a Satanic marching song.

james23_uk

#7 Post by james23_uk »

glennjridge wrote:
Tue 24 Dec 2019, 1:29 am
well I always loved that little mournful horn segment at the very end of "King of Rome"
but one of the disappointing things is when I heard that really short song "transfer"....its such a short song, but it is actually kind of beautiful and cant see how they never made it into a full song.
I presume youve heard some of the extended fan made mixes on Youtube? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCG-Ikg018
at rock bottom :wall:

Nickname

#8 Post by Nickname »

That's why I loved extended version. PSB saved some gems for the extended mix, a one good example is How can you expect to be taken seriously??.

telys

#9 Post by telys »

The end of What have I done.... "We don't need to go to hell and back". Such a waste, it would've been a smash hit

The two instrumental breaks in Leaving a
----
You've got me all wrong

DJ Pat

#10 Post by DJ Pat »

I wish Your Funny Uncle went on longer but the ending it has doesn't really allow

Marie loves PSB

#11 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Welcome to the forum Solarin. :D

In my opinion these are songs that may well could have been - Hit Music. The "chill out" part to it that that ends the song. And the beginning of I made my excuses and left. The part that goes "I'm all alone again" then it changes in to another song.

Straight_Talker

#12 Post by Straight_Talker »

Great question! I posted on here, years ago, that I wished “Boy Strange’s” piano ending plodded on for a minute or two.
More strobes and BANGING, please!